Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recording
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-25-2015, 10:02 AM   #1121
assaf.levanon

Quote:
Originally Posted by james.lyriestew
It's nice considering that it's your first recording! Next time, double track your guitars and pan them hard left and right. If you have some extra money, get better guitar amp sim. Guitar Rig is more like beginner's stuff; I suggest TSE x50, Pod Farm Platinum or BIAS by Positive Grid. You can have great tones with these amp sims!

Vocal are completely drowned by other instruments in the loud part! It's a rock song, so make sure the vocal is a bit over everything!

Good choice on using REAPER.

Thanks for the feedback! Is there a point to double track the riff, or just the chords?
I'll check out these amp sims.

BTW, your cover sounds amazing!
assaf.levanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 01:24 PM   #1122
james.lyriestew
Music Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by assaf.levanon
Thanks for the feedback! Is there a point to double track the riff, or just the chords?
I'll check out these amp sims.

BTW, your cover sounds amazing!

You need to double track your rhythm guitars (not the solos) for the whole song so that your guitars can kind of make your song stereo. Think about it, if you only single everything, your song is gonna be in mono - well, except the drums. So try double tracking the rhythm guitars and pan them hard left and right, you will see the big difference!

Thanks for the compliment =)
james.lyriestew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 10:51 PM   #1123
Bostonrocks
UG God

countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Bostonrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 02:39 AM   #1124
assaf.levanon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonrocks

Maybe it's just me, but I would turn the basses down.
Anyways, sounds great!
assaf.levanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 01:02 PM   #1125
crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht

Quote:
Originally Posted by assaf.levanon
Maybe it's just me, but I would turn the basses down.
Anyways, sounds great!

Yeah, but just a hair. The user should still be able to tell that there is a bass guitar. Don't pull a "...And Justice For All", where the bass is so low that in the mix that you NEVER hear it.
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 05:54 PM   #1126
Guitar0player
UG's derby Spike

https://soundcloud.com/michelle-sha...-harmonizer-wip

A little work in progress I had in mind. My friend says it sounds "all over the place and like giant mess".

What do you guys think?
Old 07-03-2015, 03:30 PM   #1127
DirtyChain

https://soundcloud.com/dirtychain/chasing-ia-rough-mix

Any feedback would be nice.
Thanks!
DirtyChain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:03 PM   #1128
Random3
Likes Satchurated fat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar0player
https://soundcloud.com/michelle-sha...-harmonizer-wip

A little work in progress I had in mind. My friend says it sounds "all over the place and like giant mess".

What do you guys think?

I wouldn't quite describe it as that, although the effects on the guitar are a bit overbearing. Maybe that was the point, but to me it sounds too wet.

The drums need more volume, at the volume they are at they may as well not be there.

I like the synth that comes in around 1:30.

For the crescendo the drums definitely need to be more up front IMO.

The main things I would work on are levelling of the instruments, and some EQ to make them sit better together. The effect on the guitar may just be a taste thing, but the way it is now it is a bit muddy and clashes with the bass, and there is not enough distinction between the instruments.

Cool piece of music though

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyChain
Any feedback would be nice.
Thanks!

That solo sounds awesome, although a bit of delay or reverb wouldn't hurt.

Some of the cymbals seem to be popping out a bit more than others.

Personally I would get a bit more bass guitar in there.

The synth parts sound cool but they are a bit grating, may need either a different setting or some subtractive EQ.

The playing is very tight and professional sounding so good job there.

Enjoyed those a lot, followed both of you.

Here's something I have spent the last few days working on. Live drums were recorded about 6 months ago when I recorded the drums for my album, and I only just got round to actually finishing this one.

Drums are live with some editing and sample reinforcement.
Bass recorded with an Ibanez SR305 through a DI.
Guitars are quad tracked using an Ibanez RG2570Z Prestige with a Crunch Lab in the bridge, and a Schecter C-1 Hellraiser with an EMG 81. Both recorded through a Peavey 6505, Marshall 1960AV and a 57. Tube Screamer and Noise Suppressor used as well.
Vocals taken from the original stem that was made available with Guitar Hero/Rock Band.

Any feedback is welcome, enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwm...eature=youtu.be
https://soundcloud.com/charlie-munr...gage-live-drums
Random3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 09:39 PM   #1129
DirtyChain

Random3,
This is a great mix and a great cover. I did hear some noise around 1:55. I cannot tell what it is which doesn't help. Other than that, it sounds very professional.
Thanks for the follow, I followed back.
DirtyChain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 09:15 AM   #1130
Random3
Likes Satchurated fat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyChain
Random3,
This is a great mix and a great cover. I did hear some noise around 1:55. I cannot tell what it is which doesn't help. Other than that, it sounds very professional.
Thanks for the follow, I followed back.

Cheers for the feedback, I can't listen to it at the moment but when I get home I'll have a look and see what there is at 1:55.
Old 07-08-2015, 12:40 PM   #1131
Guitar0player
UG's derby Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random3
I wouldn't quite describe it as that, although the effects on the guitar are a bit overbearing. Maybe that was the point, but to me it sounds too wet.

The drums need more volume, at the volume they are at they may as well not be there.

I like the synth that comes in around 1:30.

For the crescendo the drums definitely need to be more up front IMO.

The main things I would work on are levelling of the instruments, and some EQ to make them sit better together. The effect on the guitar may just be a taste thing, but the way it is now it is a bit muddy and clashes with the bass, and there is not enough distinction between the instruments.

Cool piece of music though

Any feedback is welcome, enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwm...eature=youtu.be
https://soundcloud.com/charlie-munr...gage-live-drums

Thank you kindly, sir(or madam). The wetness of the instruments is intentional, it's supposed to be a space rock piece. I tried to go for a wall of sound approach but it seems more like I got a wall of mud.

Sadly I am not familiar with the original song but so far it sounds really ****ing awesome. It's amazing how tight your playing is(yours and the drummer's).

Last edited by Guitar0player : 07-08-2015 at 12:41 PM.
Guitar0player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 01:50 PM   #1132
Random3
Likes Satchurated fat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar0player
Thank you kindly, sir(or madam). The wetness of the instruments is intentional, it's supposed to be a space rock piece. I tried to go for a wall of sound approach but it seems more like I got a wall of mud.

In that case here's a couple of things to try.

Generally 400Hz = mud. That does vary depending on the instrument but in a rock context that's the way I view it. Cutting back on 400Hz or other low/mid frequencies can help give more clarity.

Another trick that works especially well with reverb and delay is filtering the wet signal independantly of the dry. I can't listen to your track at the moment and I don't recall if you used delay or reverb, but some plugins allow you to high pass the wet signal and therefore reduce low/mid frequency clutter. Basically you can dial it in so that you are only adding reverb to freqencies above, say, 1kHz. If you don't have any plugins that do this you can simply stick the reverb on an auxillary and send the dry track to the effects aux, but stick an EQ on the effects aux.

If you recorded the instrument with an effects pedal then you won't be able to do this however, unless you record it twice.
Old 07-08-2015, 10:22 PM   #1133
GrateTheHouse

Hello everyone,

If anyone could offer an ear, it would be appreciated:

https://soundcloud.com/nolanjohns/mississippi-blues

-Fender Dreadnought with a dynamic SM57 recorded in my flat.
-I've added some reverb and filtered out 80hz and under...boosted mids and treble a little (just following what seems to be common advice online)
-I'm totally new to recording/mixing and just have no real ear for it yet. What could be improved or changed here?

Thanks,

-Nolan

Last edited by GrateTheHouse : 07-09-2015 at 07:41 PM.
GrateTheHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 04:55 PM   #1134
Random3
Likes Satchurated fat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrateTheHouse
*post*

With something like that, being one instrument on it's own, there's always going to be a limit in what you can actually do. For example, frequencies are rarely going to sound out of place or be problematic unless to combine it with another instrument.

Apart from the track being panned entirely to the left, the only thing I noticed was a bit of noise at about 30 seconds, which would have been due to not muting the strings. Depends what you want though, as it does add a degree of naturalism.

Nice playing, and the guitar sounds pretty sweet as it is.

I have been working on a collection of original songs which I am planning on turning into my next album. I decided to fully record this one as it is the most complete, and it's the first original song I have recorded since I did my album last year.

Musically it is more of a straight-up modern metal song than my previous material. I have dialled back the prog influences although they are still present.

The song is instrumental, although I would like to add vocals at some point.

Any feedback on the song and/or the mix would be greatly appreciated

Old 07-23-2015, 12:39 PM   #1135
Mister Revenant

So i've been mixing a few months and have seen definte improvement in my mixs from before. But the biggest hurdle has always been low end. It has been the topic most discussed whenever I share my mixes. I have my bass split to low and grind tracks. But what exactly should I be hearing/looking for? It just doesn't register. Heres the latest mix I did for an original song. Guitars are TSE X50 v2, Drums are EZdrummer 2.
https://soundcloud.com/wolves-and-r...ts/demorevision
Mister Revenant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 12:57 PM   #1136
Tuomionmursu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random3

- I thought the song was pretty cool, but it felt too long quite empty without vocals or a lead melody. Your playing is solid!

- I think the mixes low-end could use centering with a direction mixer or such. The kick is a tad too loud imo, but otherwise the bass/kick duo works well. I'd also loosen up the side-chain from the snare.

- The bass could use some saturation/distortion to further support the guitars. It also sounds very muddy in the low-mids

- The guitar tone is pretty good, but lacks "crispiness". Maybe put a pre-amp in front of the guitars' signal-chain?

All-in-all a solid job!

----

After working on this for around 20 hours during three days, I finally got it done. This is my second go at these stems, the first time being approximately a year ago. Having bought new plugins and developed as a mixer, it felt meaningful redoing this. Feel free to tell me what you think, and any criticism you come up with. I think the kick is too dominating....

Thanks

https://soundcloud.com/onni-korhone...mixing-practice

If you want to have a go at this song, you can download the stem tracks here: http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/...…er-multis.html

The stuff I used:

- Guitars: Peavey Revalver MK.III V

- Drums: EZdrummer

- Synths: Omnisphere 2

- DAW: Logic Pro 9

- Extra Plugins: C6 multi-band compressor, Vitamin Sonic Enhancer, Rbass, Native Instruments Supercharger GT compressor, Stillwell Event Horizon Limiter
Tuomionmursu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 01:26 PM   #1137
Random3
Likes Satchurated fat.

Cheers for the feedback, I'll have a listen to the previous two posts when I get home.
Old 07-24-2015, 08:14 AM   #1138
BKSlash

https://soundcloud.com/assafle/gojira-oroborus-cover
Would love getting feedback for this one.
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Line 6 UX1
BKSlash is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: