Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-24-2012, 06:55 AM   #1
gmwilliford

Getting Better

Hey all,

So, I'm a little discouraged. I've been playing the guitar for about 7 years, since I was 14 or so. In terms of technical proficiency, I'm pretty good. I can b.s. a guitar solo with the best of them. But it just struck me that I know nothing about my instrument. I have played in bands, written songs, and convinced lots of people that I am good at guitar, even though I am not. I know 0 (zero) music theory, and I always use the "i just play by feel" excuse when anyone asks me. I'm embarrassed to jam with actual musicians, because I always just play bullshit--which sometimes sounds great, and other times it sounds awful. How do I take control of my instrument? I love the guitar. I call myself a guitarist. But I really don't know how I can learn to really and truly understand my instrument. I'm sure this is a weird-sounding, open-ended question, but I really need to know. How do I learn to understand what I've been doing all these years?
gmwilliford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:24 AM   #2
rockingamer2
Larmarky Remark

You've pretty much answered your own question in your post.

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity."

MUSIC THEORY LINK

SteamID: CarrionComfort
rockingamer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:50 PM   #3
Musician4Jesus
Oroku

Yeah man, just learn theory. Chord construction, scales, modes... the list goes on. At first it can seem hard to understand but for the most part it's actually pretty simple. The good news is that with the internet there's lots of places you can find free theory lessons, and if you don't understand something there's always forums like this one where you can ask someone to explain it for you. Check out http://www.musictheory.net/lessons (not specifically for guitar, but it has a lot of stuff) and http://www.zentao.com/guitar/theory/ (obviously make sure you know the basics before you move on to the more advanced stuff).

You're welcome.

I'm torn between playing blues and metal... and anything else on guitar pretty much. :P

http://www.facebook.com/macrohart
http://macrohart.webs.com
Musician4Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:54 PM   #4
Art Vandalay

Learn theory. I hate to give that as an answer but it will help you understand what you are doing musically more than anything else ever will. If you're technically proficient, then the theory will just more or less explain why what you've been doing sounds good and it will give you a language of sound that makes it much easier to communicate ideas to other musicians
Art Vandalay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:58 PM   #5
Peaceful Rocker
Banned

I'd start by learning the fretboard. Knowing the names of the notes
Peaceful Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:58 PM   #6
Peff

I am very average but I try to always have a song I am learning that is beyond my ability...It keeps you moving forward...also I try to learn a new piece of theory once a week.
Peff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:05 PM   #7
johnyere

get a good guitar teacher.
johnyere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:29 AM   #8
91RG350
At least Microsoft cared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaceful Rocker
I'd start by learning the fretboard. Knowing the names of the notes

+1 Excellent advice. How did you do it? TS could benefit from your experience.

My 2 cents as well:

There are lots of different ways... anything that leads to increased knowledge is good... I would suggest the following small journey:

- Intervals
- Consonance and dissonance
- Construction of the major scale using intervals
- Construction of chords using the major scale

Once you've got that down you'll understand the basics of soloing as well...because chords and solos relate....
91RG350 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: