Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-17-2014, 09:42 PM   #4501
necrosis1193
Autonomatonomonapoton

Brian Roberts has officially retired.

Always felt sorry for him. I genuinely believe him when he said that he only did steroids once, because honestly, he's the worst hitter ever if he was regularly juicing and yet could never hit 20+ home runs in a season, and had single-digit homers in ten of his fourteen seasons.

On top of the stigma of the allegations, he was reliable, playing 110+ games seven of his thirteen years in Baltimore, and if I recall, we didn't offer him a new deal, so I can't fault him for leaving. On that note, he was here for a lot of very depressing, awful moments. He sacrificed almost his entire career to the misery of the 14-year losing streak, and he just wasn't the same after his concussions.

He's certainly not an all-time great, but once Palmeiro was outed, he was about the only thing that was really worth cheering for in Baltimore during those god-awful years, and even if he ended his career a Yankee, I'll always see him as an Oriole that stuck with Baltimore even when we gave him no reason to do so - the Orioles combined record in the three years before he signed here long-term? 207-278. 4th place each time, 90+ losses each time. Our managers were Sam Perlozzo, who was succeeded by Dave Trembley. Showalter to Torre to Girardi that is not.

He gave fans something to root for and enjoy in a time where there was nothing else worth watching from them, and nothing that should've made him want to stay.

Baltimore Orioles: 96-66
York Capitals: 5-3
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 world champions, 2014: 4-2
2014 Pick 'Em: 58-32-1
necrosis1193 is online now   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: