Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-08-2013, 03:32 AM   #1
MattyPS

Yet another thread about sweep picking

Hello there,

A few days ago I started again to practice sweep picking (I had already tried in the past but I eventually gave up).

At first I thought I was doing it correctly but then I discovered that my motion was wrong : I was picking each string.
Since I was playing at a very slow speed it was hard for me to tell the difference. Anyway, now I think I got the correct motion.

However, when I am doing sweep picking or when I am doing something else, what feels natural for my right hand is different.

Here is how looks my right hand when I am playing anything :

Here is how would look my right hand when I am doing sweep picking :

Is it a bad habit to use two ways of placing my right hand ? I mean, is it going to be annoying when I want to switch from sweep picking to another technique ?

This was my first question.

Now let's say that I am playing a simple shape :

Code:
E|--------12-15-12---------------| B|-----13-----------13------------| G|-14------------------14---------| D|-----------------------------------| A|-----------------------------------| E|-----------------------------------|

Should I play it like this :

D (14) D (13) D (12) Hammer-on (15) Pull off (12) U (13) D (14)

Or like this :

D (14) D (13) D (12) U (15) Pull off (12) U (13) D (14)

I hope I made sense and I thank you in advance !
MattyPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:48 AM   #2
Shor

To me, it looks like your picking hand is really tense, and that's not a good sign at all.
Maybe you just figured out a good relaxed way to hold the pick when you're sweeping?
I don't change the way I hold my pick when I sweep or play other things, and I'd suggest you do the same.

Perhaps posting a video of you sweeping (even if it's slow...doesn't matter) would be more helpful, since the guy you're comparing your picking hand with has great technique.

edit: Forgot your other question.
Personally I play it the other way, with the upstroke on the 15th fret, but it kinda depends on the phrasing. If the lick is going somewhere else I might play differently.
Just play whatever feels and sounds best.
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass

Last edited by Shor : 05-08-2013 at 03:50 AM.
Shor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:47 AM   #3
Mr.-Bungle
Mr. Bungle

Wait... Where was the sweeping in any of those vids? I skipped through because I just don't like the song choices, but you kinda have to give us an example of you doing the sweeps dude..

You're anchoring a lot btw and like the guy said above you're playing slightly tense.
Mr.-Bungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:21 AM   #4
Freepower
v It's Back! :D

Quote:
Is it a bad habit to use two ways of placing my right hand ? I mean, is it going to be annoying when I want to switch from sweep picking to another technique ?

This was my first question.

Personally I think it's a minor bad habit - you can do pretty much everything with a "normal" hand position, like the one in this video -

That said, you can have your fingers out too, as long as the hand is relaxed.

Quote:
Now let's say that I am playing a simple shape :

Or like this :

Are you playing this as a 6 note pattern or a 7 note pattern?
Freepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:32 AM   #5
Carl_Berg

Quote:

Or like this :

This entirely depends on how it feels natural to you. Some insist on picking the 15th fret, others (like me) just hammer on-pull off.
Carl_Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:53 AM   #6
MattyPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freepower
Are you playing this as a 6 note pattern or a 7 note pattern?

I am not sure I understand what you meant. The notes played one the e string are shorter than the others, if that is what you meant.

Here's a quick video I just recorded :

Old 05-08-2013, 11:40 AM   #7
Freepower

The hand position looks fine both ways, certainly nothing major either way.

As for the actual sweeping technique, I think you need to just get a continuous motion going - mute the strings with the left hand and just sweep up and down maintaining a fluid motion. Remember, 5 strings with one downstroke, not with 5 downstrokes!
Old 05-12-2013, 06:17 AM   #8
MattyPS

When you say it is nothing major, do you mean I could "improve" my hand position ?

I understand that after hitting one note on a string, I immediately have to rest on the next string. But how can I only do on downstroke when I am practicing at a very slow speed ? I mean, there has to be a pause between each note, hasn't there ?
Old 05-12-2013, 08:03 AM   #9
Freepower

Quote:
When you say it is nothing major, do you mean I could "improve" my hand position ?

I mean I think either hand position is fine and I don't think you need to worry about it.

Quote:
I understand that after hitting one note on a string, I immediately have to rest on the next string. But how can I only do on downstroke when I am practicing at a very slow speed ? I mean, there has to be a pause between each note, hasn't there ?

I personally don't like to "rest" on the next string when training this technique, I like to keep the motion the same speed throughout.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:36 AM   #10
sw4l

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl_Berg
This entirely depends on how it feels natural to you. Some insist on picking the 15th fret, others (like me) just hammer on-pull off.

i have been trying to sweep pick for months and i finally got it down like a month ago and i am still working on it. go REALLY SLOW i was practicing at 50 BPM with whole notes until i got the motion down and slowly increased the speed first playing half notes then triplets. as for the hammer on or picking the note its up to you, i found it easier to pick the note at first and now i just hammer on the note and descend back down the arpeggio. also a note when practicing the sweep make it a fluid motion don't pause between strings.
sw4l is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: