Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Drums
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-13-2014, 09:46 PM   #1
musicandthewave

easier to pickup drums if you already play guitar?

seems like an obvious question but i want to hear from other guys who have experience in picking up drums after playing guitar for a while.

I would think picking up the bass after learning guitar would be easy as it is very similar to guitar, but what about drums?

I want to be decent at it so i can write drum parts for songs i write. how long will it take if you had to guess for me to be decent sounding to put in rough demos and such?
musicandthewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:35 PM   #2
deadsmileyface
vertigo

well it doesnt have strings so no
Old 06-15-2014, 07:13 AM   #3
CorduroyEW
UG's pickup winder

^I don't agree.

The most important aspect of drumming is being able to keep time. Learning guitar requires you to keep time. That means that knowing guitar makes it easier to learn drums because you SHOULD have already developed a since of time. Knowing guitar won't help you coordinate 4 limbs separately but coordination is only half of being a drummer.
Old 06-15-2014, 05:46 PM   #4
Victorgeiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorduroyEW
The most important aspect of drumming is being able to keep time. Learning guitar requires you to keep time. That means that knowing guitar makes it easier to learn drums because you SHOULD have already developed a since of time. Knowing guitar won't help you coordinate 4 limbs separately but coordination is only half of being a drummer.

Agreed. I am a guitarist that learnt to play drums after playing the guitar. It was pretty easy, the cool thing is that a lot of my practice was done tapping my feet and knees when ever I was sitting down to learn the limb independence. I would say give yourself 6 months of practice before being able to record anything worthwhile at all and a year to get some full songs down and be good enough to be considered a "drummer". I have done it and so has a friend of mine. Both after learning the guitar. Yea. Give it a year of solid practice.

News, reviews, guitar lessons and

Victorgeiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 02:43 AM   #5
deadsmileyface
vertigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorduroyEW
^I don't agree.

well if you dont agree then you are a butt
Old 06-17-2014, 03:14 AM   #6
Second Rate

You may be able to count to four when playing guitar, but drumming and guitar playing are two completely different animals. I would say they have absolutely no bearing on each other.
Second Rate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:06 AM   #7
CorduroyEW
UG's pickup winder

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsmileyface
well if you dont agree then you are a butt

Perhaps, but I'm also correct.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:10 PM   #8
CarsonStevens
Rocksmith

You don't need to be able to play the drums to compose drum parts. You just need to know... how to compose drum parts. Studying some of the basics of rhythm, timing, and what each part of the kit is used for, as well as understanding what's physically possible for a drummer to do (IE, don't chart three cymbal hits at once; drummers only have two hands), is basically all you need.
CarsonStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 03:34 PM   #9
fanapathy
B-Tuned

Yes, it would definitely be easier than starting to learn drums with no music knowledge/skill at all. As a guitarist you already know a lot of rhythm, probably lots of theory and know the importance of timing. So we don't use our legs nor arms in the same way but it's still a much better starting point than someone who never played any instruments. I believe learning a new instrument at an acceptable level becomes easier the more you know, same with languages etc.
fanapathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 07:56 AM   #10
Jacques Nel
The JayMan

When I was jamming out with my first band, we had this drummer whose house we used to jam (probably obvious as it's hard to move drums around), and he had a kid, sometimes when he had to leave to check on the kid I'd sit and mess around with the drums, actually picked it up pretty quick, so I guess the notion that guitarists pick it up quick is plausible. I have my own set now. I still use Beatcraft to compose drum parts though. Composing drums is actually not too difficult.
Jacques Nel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 07:02 AM   #11
NWD2100

I can only speak as a drummer who learned guitar. Learning the guitar was really damn difficult for me. It seemed impossible at first but I kept on practicing every single day and I got better. It will take as long as it takes. Maybe it will be easier to go from guitar to drums going by what people have been saying here.

I wish somebody had told me not to use my whole arm when I pluck a string. So let me give you some advice now. Play the drums holding the drum sticks palms down and flick your wrists. Sure everybody uses samples these days but hey man... don't be everybody. I am sure you can learn.

Give it a few months before you are ready to record demos. Even the craziest drummers don't go crazy for a song that doesn't require that. I have always written songs with the guitar being the foundation for everything else.
NWD2100 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: