Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Bandleading
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-25-2013, 01:32 PM   #1
jrenkert

Singers...singers everywhere

I have been blessed with the problem of too many singers. There are four of us and three of them want to sing...like most of the time. We are a genre mashing group r&b/funk/electronic/blues and I am, more-or-less, the leader of this group and they really want a "lead" singer...I don't really think there ought to be one...Everyone of their voices is great in its own way and they all can harmonize...so what should I say? Its starting to be a point of contention.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:41 PM   #2
risk182
STOMP

Make a huge intervention of sorts, and discuss the issue openly. Having many singers is really a blessing, especially considering the kind of music you are making, and the best thing you could do is come up with a method of sorting out who sings lead and who harmonizes on each song and sticking to it. If that is impossible, vote or figure something out, but the most important part is discussing the issue with everybody, same time, same place.
risk182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:49 PM   #3
K!!LsWiTcH
Not a fan of KSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by risk182
Make a huge intervention of sorts, and discuss the issue openly. Having many singers is really a blessing, especially considering the kind of music you are making, and the best thing you could do is come up with a method of sorting out who sings lead and who harmonizes on each song and sticking to it. If that is impossible, vote or figure something out, but the most important part is discussing the issue with everybody, same time, same place.

i whole-heartedly agree
K!!LsWiTcH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:04 PM   #4
pete-c
pizza

Like you said it's a blessing, roll with it :] It's a unique thing to have and probably makes your band stand out/a lot more memorable to new people watching (like, how many bands already have just the one singer? :P).

I mean, The Beatles had three singers and they figured it out fine (though I suppose it's different if they're not also playing instruments, but you know what I mean).

Maybe have it where if they write the that song's lyrics, they sing lead? I don't know how your songwriting duties go. But yeah, that kind of thing perhaps.

last.fm | my tabs / mp3s | soundcloud

Last edited by pete-c : 04-27-2013 at 08:46 PM.
pete-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:44 PM   #5
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

If you started a cover band with what you have now it would be pretty sweet. A local cover band with 3 singers acually managed to get the pre-show slot for the Beach Boys. Pretty crazy.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:53 AM   #6
Phil Starr

What they said. We're all just jealous you realise.

Why do singers get all the attention, because they are 70% of what the audience listen to. The problem with most bands is that a single voice gets pretty boring after a couple of hours. If you gig regularly most voices won't cope well with singing for hour long stretches. With three singers plus the variation of duets, harmonies, call and response you can have a great set with real variation.

You have to talk, this could be great and the singers need to see each other as band members not rivals. their voices are instruments not weapons.
Phil Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:44 PM   #7
jrenkert

Thanks for all of your awesome advice!!
Old 05-01-2013, 02:39 PM   #8
bigblockelectra

Gives you the chance to do nice harmonies/duets/trios.
bigblockelectra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:30 PM   #9
Hail
kill both bass players

you could always go avant garde and have 3 lead singers at once while you atonally bash on your instruments

but that's why i'm not getting paid to make music, so take that advice with a grain of salt. unless you're a "real" artist
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:44 AM   #10
chatterbox272

Have you thought of trying different lead singers for different songs? I mean, I highly doubt they all sound the same so being able to switch singers with different songs would not only let you have the best voice for the song, it'd also help reduce any degradation of the vocal performance when playing live because everyone would get a chance to rest their voice between songs.
Masquerade: #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J. Caboose
Time isn't made out of lines, it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round.
chatterbox272 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: