Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-05-2013, 06:24 AM   #1
robbit10
Exploring Metal

Beginner legato solo's?

I have practiced legato a lot lately, and have finally reached a point where I can slowly play fluid, clean legato without using the pick at all - but when I DO use the pick, I can go faster than I had imagined I would go by simply practicing pick-less legato. I can do fast scale runs now, both ascending and descending, trills, all the good stuff. Anyway, the point of this was not to brag - but to give an idea of what I am currently capable of, to complement the real question:

Scale runs are fine and dandy, but i'd like to learn some nice solo's that contain a lot of the legato goodness. My favorite styles are folk metal, power metal, melodic death metal, black metal, and folk music.
Even though I bragged a bit in the intro of this post, I want to start off with simple solo's so I don't get sloppy.

Please, suggest some solo's that fit the criteria I just described
robbit10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:53 AM   #2
TheNameOfNoone
Buckethead's Right Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbit10
...but when I DO use the pick, I can go faster than I had imagined I would go by simply practicing pick-less legato.

First of all, watch out for this trap. It only seems like you can go much faster, but actually you are covering the left hand inaccuracy with right hand picking (which is much easier and makes the solos sound accurate). I suggest you not to practice a lick with picking before your fretting hand has mastered the lick in real speed. Avoid the trap that 90% of UG has fell into.

About the solos, yeah, I'm not so much into genres you wrote, so I can't help you there. Sorry.
EDIT: But you can always try to play Buckethead.

The image in my head is just too funny for words at this point

Aw yeah.

Last edited by TheNameOfNoone : 05-05-2013 at 11:08 AM.
TheNameOfNoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:27 AM   #3
JTNorquay

While I can't think of any solos off the top of my head, anything Jim Root is really good practice I find. Not so much the Slipknot stuff, but a lot of Stone Sour has great solos to practice with.
JTNorquay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:47 PM   #4
robbit10
Exploring Metal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNameOfNoone
First of all, watch out for this trap. It only seems like you can go much faster, but actually you are covering the left hand inaccuracy with right hand picking (which is much easier and makes the solos sound accurate). I suggest you not to practice a lick with picking before your fretting hand has mastered the lick in real speed. Avoid the trap that 90% of UG has fell into.

Are you sure this is the same thing? For these legato runs, I am picking the strings only once when I switch to them, and then do the rest of the notes by means of legato. According to many lessons on YouTube, including some by players in well-known bands, this is correct. I am not using tremolo picking here as a sloppy substitute for alternate picking.

Quote:
About the solos, yeah, I'm not so much into genres you wrote, so I can't help you there. Sorry.

Oh well. I'll keep searching my music library for solo's to practice in the meantime, but so far they all either have been too hard or have been very slow solos with no legato.
robbit10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:22 PM   #5
vayne92
UG's Fedora Enthusiast

It disappoints me that i actually can't think of a single solo that's really good for legato.. This makes me sad. The very few i can think of are far from beginner...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKP9RwoTWwE#t=3m15s

3:46 - 3:55 is almost all legato runs. It'd be good to practice slow but it's for sure not a beginner solo.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jCd9vg3BDw#t=0m40s

Also far from beginner unfortunately but i'm pretty sure there's a shitload of legato in there. Worth checking out regardless because Uli Jon Roth is an unbelievable guitarist.

Other than that i can't think of anything good for isolating legato other than the virtuoso stuff. I suppose being that i listen to mostly metal the majority of stuff is alternate picking.

Now that i think about this actually...

It could be fair to say there's so few beginner legato solo's i can think of because people don't generally hammer on / pull off when they're playing slowly. It just doesn't really happen..
I'm definitely interested in what others thoughts on this are though so anyone feel free to prove me wrong!
American Standard Tele 2012
Yamaha APX450
~~~
Line 6 POD HD500
Orange Dark terror
Orange PPC112

Last edited by vayne92 : 05-05-2013 at 02:34 PM.
vayne92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:34 PM   #6
Junior#1
Is SouTaicho Yamamoto-san

Have fun.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Junior#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:44 PM   #7
bustapr
Marty's loyal follower

the only metal legato solos I can think of right now are chris poland and his stuff from megadeth. I never learned any of them because legato has never been friendly to my left hand, but they dont look massively difficult if you have a good grasp on legato. his stuff is pretty straight forward and repetitive.

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
bustapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:03 PM   #8
My Last Words
Billions and billions!

Quote: