Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-04-2012, 11:08 PM   #1761
samuraigoomba

I keep visiting Rondo, waiting for Kurt to put up a guitar I can't resist. Something like a blue harm with 3 mini humbucking pups and gold hardware.

I haven't heard as much about the Agile strat and tele copies. I assume that with so many strat and tele copies to choose from in the world of guitars, they just can't compare with Tokai, MIM Fender, Fernandes MIJ strats etc.

Judist, you could always email Kurt and ask him what parts you can use. He might even sell them to you.

And dammit, start making Valkyries again!
samuraigoomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:01 AM   #1762
SteveHOC
Used Register

I'd love to see a natural or sunburst finish Harm 3 with soapbar pickups and a five-way selector. Something about that would mean an immediate purchase from me. Blue with soapbars would be awesome too, I just don't dig the Toast pickups on the Harm 3 he has up.
SteveHOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 02:49 PM   #1763
SMB13
Lead Bass

So guys, I've had an Agile Ghost 7 string before and it just wasn't for me. Body was too bulky and the neck felt thick. Now I'm in the market for another guitar, and I'm looking at a custom AL that they offer. I just had a few questions before I make any decisions though

I'm thinking of making it baritone. I understand that longer scale length helps with lower tunings, but I've also heard 25.5 is more than enough. Opinions? I plan on having it tuned to B.

I'm looking at the slim neck profile. Now, it says slim but how slim is slim? The Ghost I had was the opposite of slim (Yes, the neck is wider cause of the extra string, but it just felt thicker and slower)

How are the cases? Comes with the guitar when ordered

And last (as far as I know); How's the quality? The Ghost felt nice, but not all guitars are created the same.

Anyways, I think that's everything. Thanks guys
SMB13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 06:34 PM   #1764
dspellman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMB13

I'm thinking of making it baritone. I understand that longer scale length helps with lower tunings, but I've also heard 25.5 is more than enough. Opinions? I plan on having it tuned to B.

I'm looking at the slim neck profile. Now, it says slim but how slim is slim? The Ghost I had was the opposite of slim (Yes, the neck is wider cause of the extra string, but it just felt thicker and slower)

How are the cases? Comes with the guitar when ordered:

And the last shall be first <G>...

The cases are good. Nice quality hard case for about a quarter of the Gibson equivalent's price. I have one of the EGC300s.

The AL comes with what I'd describe as a sorta 60's neck -- the proportions are nearly the same as Gibson's '60's neck, but a bit more comfortable. The "slim" version is a lot thinner (we're talking thickness of the neck, not the width of the fretboard) at the nut, the distance from the center of the fretboard to the back of the neck is about 17mm. That's getting into Ibanez Wizard territory. It tapers to about 21mm at the 12th fret and smooths out from there. I have a slim and wide neck (it's about 1 3/4" wide at the nut) and love it.

Tuned to B, you can sorta get buy with 25.5" scale, but the 27" scale will give you better bottom end definition. If you're going to tune baritone most of the time, get the 27" scale, ask for 24 frets and stainless frets.

I'm tickled with my semi-custom; they did a great job on it. I ordered a neck-through, and I think the neck-through with the neck contouring and the tummy cut is outstanding. You can reduce the weight a bit by having them chamber the top bout (essentially, the top body wing). Thanks to both the neck-through construction and the bottom bout NOT being chambered, tone and sustain won't change much. Upper fret access (with the contouring) will be outstanding.

I'm in the process of nailing down my next semi-custom. I'm considering both the 25.5" and the 27" scale, but either scale would be tuned to standard, for the most part. I've played one of Jim Soloway's guitars at 27" tuned standard, and the bottom end becomes almost piano-like. This is a bit of a step for me; my favorite guitars have traditionally had 24.75" or 25" scales, but I've recently been spending a lot of time with a couple of 25.5" scale guitars, the most recent with 24 frets, jumbo frets and a very flattish (16") radius with a wide-thin neck, and I'm really happy.

Quality on the three Agiles I have has been outstanding on two. The third was purchased as a B stock with finish problems (it's an AL-2000 Floyd). Workmanship is outstanding on all three guitars. All three have been PLEK'd and have had their frets superglued, so playability is outstanding, and it's remained that way for several years. My last semi-custom is actually my #1 for a project I work on. The #2 guitar is a Gibson Axcess with identical hardware. That Axcess arrived with a price tag of over $4K, about four times the cost of the Agile.
dspellman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 06:56 PM   #1765
dspellman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skysc
is the higher end Agile pro level instrument or its for begginners / hobbyist semi profesionnnal ???. im talking about the higher end Al 3200 series

i kinda doubt about a guitar when i hear : Its good FOR THE MONEY ( kinda mean that if you pay more youll get another level of instrument ) .

is the Agile al-3200 a guitar one would take for gigs night after night or more a beginner /bargain guitar that one will upgrade /switch later .
cause believe it or not : theres something "confident " when a pro artist use the same guitar as you do . thats why companies are ready to spend top dollars on sponsor .

The Agile AL-3200 is sort of my responsibility (I made the suggestions to Kurt that ended up building that model).

First, the AL-3000 (the AL-3200's progenitor) is a professional quality instrument in the Gibson LP mold. I can't think of any professional venue where I couldn't take one. That said, I was asked to play guitar on a project for which the band leader wanted (specifically) a Gibson Les Paul, but for which I needed a lot of modifications (sustainer, extra tone mods, etc.). I ended up ordering a Gibson Axcess Custom (with Floyd Rose). I wanted a backup, and I'd just recently found that Rondo Music offered a "semi custom" service. So I ordered up a guitar based on the 3000, but with neck-through construction, a wide/thin neck profile, 16" radius, jumbo frets and a Floyd. Both guitars come standard with triple binding on headstock and body, single binding on the neck, real ebony fretboard, real MOP inlays. The Agile would be a solid body, but the Axcess was actually chambered and is thinner than a standard LP. Both came with sculpted neck heels. Both were gutted and modified identically, both were PLEK'd. In the end, the Agile has become the #1 on the project, with the Gibson #2.

I liked the Agile, but wanted a tummy cut and a deeper sculpting on the neck/body transition, and sent photos of a blue guitar that had both. The Korean prototyping shop sent back a guitar identical to what was in the photo (and neck-through), right down to the same shade of blue. Kurt decided to make it a standard model and the AL-3200 was born. A lot of what it has you simply can't get on ANY Gibson -- the neck-through construction, 14" radius, jumbo frets and a selection of neck profiles. Standard is an ebony fretboard, MOP inlays, triple binding (like the Gibson Custom), the Axcess-style heck heel, a nice tummy cut. They also come with locking tuners and I think they've moved to stainless frets as well.

In short, there's no part of this guitar that's inferior to anything that Gibson's putting out. That's not to compare it to Gibson, but to let you know that if a Gibson is a professional gigging guitar, then so is the AL-3200. All three of my Agiles gig, and I'd never have qualms about their quality or professionalism. I never feel that there's anything that a Gibson could give me that these guitars don't already have in spades in a professional situation, except for one thing: the Gibson logo. If you need to fit into someone else's idea of "professional guitar player," it may include that logo as a baseline. Once you've got the gig, however, that bandleader isn't going to downgrade his view of your professionalism if you show up with an Agile. The comment I get most frequently is, "Is that some kind of custom guitar?"

The AL-3200 isn't a "good for the money" guitar. It's just good, period.
dspellman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 01:46 AM   #1766
SMB13
Lead Bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspellman
And the last shall be first <G>...

The cases are good. Nice quality hard case for about a quarter of the Gibson equivalent's price. I have one of the EGC300s.

The AL comes with what I'd describe as a sorta 60's neck -- the proportions are nearly the same as Gibson's '60's neck, but a bit more comfortable. The "slim" version is a lot thinner (we're talking thickness of the neck, not the width of the fretboard) at the nut, the distance from the center of the fretboard to the back of the neck is about 17mm. That's getting into Ibanez Wizard territory. It tapers to about 21mm at the 12th fret and smooths out from there. I have a slim and wide neck (it's about 1 3/4" wide at the nut) and love it.

Tuned to B, you can sorta get buy with 25.5" scale, but the 27" scale will give you better bottom end definition. If you're going to tune baritone most of the time, get the 27" scale, ask for 24 frets and stainless frets.

I'm tickled with my semi-custom; they did a great job on it. I ordered a neck-through, and I think the neck-through with the neck contouring and the tummy cut is outstanding. You can reduce the weight a bit by having them chamber the top bout (essentially, the top body wing). Thanks to both the neck-through construction and the bottom bout NOT being chambered, tone and sustain won't change much. Upper fret access (with the contouring) will be outstanding.

I'm in the process of nailing down my next semi-custom. I'm considering both the 25.5" and the 27" scale, but either scale would be tuned to standard, for the most part. I've played one of Jim Soloway's guitars at 27" tuned standard, and the bottom end becomes almost piano-like. This is a bit of a step for me; my favorite guitars have traditionally had 24.75" or 25" scales, but I've recently been spending a lot of time with a couple of 25.5" scale guitars, the most recent with 24 frets, jumbo frets and a very flattish (16") radius with a wide-thin neck, and I'm really happy.

Quality on the three Agiles I have has been outstanding on two. The third was purchased as a B stock with finish problems (it's an AL-2000 Floyd). Workmanship is outstanding on all three guitars. All three have been PLEK'd and have had their frets superglued, so playability is outstanding, and it's remained that way for several years. My last semi-custom is actually my #1 for a project I work on. The #2 guitar is a Gibson Axcess with identical hardware. That Axcess arrived with a price tag of over $4K, about four times the cost of the Agile.

Wow, thanks for the awesome post dude. I think you may have just convinced me, lol.
SMB13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 02:09 AM   #1767
dannyalcatraz

Those AL-3200s look good...

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is online now   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: