Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Bass Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-09-2013, 05:04 PM   #1
twvandewarker

Help With Used Gear Price

I have a chance at buying a bass and an amp from a friend, but I need some ideas on what a fair price would be. I can get them for less than they're worth if I buy before she puts them on Craigslist. I'm a guitar player, so the bass would be just for messing around and I would probably use the amp. They're both in great shape, very lightly used. It's a Squier P Bass and a Marshall MB30. Thanks for the replies!
twvandewarker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:35 PM   #2
Sudaka
Novice Bass Player

Well, we'll need just some more info:
Where do you live (it's important for settling the price)?
Do you know what exact model is the bass? There are (from cheaper to more expensive) Affinities, Standard, Vintage Modified and Classic Vibe series from squier, and there's a p bass in each series.
Are you aware that you'll need at the very least 100 Watts to been able to gig small venues and maybe even to jam with friends? in that case, that marshall amp would be no good. Still, it's better to have it than not to, since YOU CAN'T PLAY BASS THROUGH A GUITAR AMP!

With this info, we will be in much better position to give you a what would be a fair price...

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Sudaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:35 AM   #3
twvandewarker

Sorry, I didn't realize that. I'm from the thumb of Michigan. I'm assuming it's a standard. There's nothing else on the head, just Squier by Fender. It's made in Indonesia, it's a four string, and there's no mods. I remember when she bought the guitar and amp, about 5 years ago, and they've hardly been played since. I'm actually more interested in the amp, I think I could play my guitar through it, but correct me if I'm wrong. I would buy them both if I can get a good deal though.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:43 AM   #4
Sudaka
Novice Bass Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by twvandewarker
Sorry, I didn't realize that. I'm from the thumb of Michigan. I'm assuming it's a standard. There's nothing else on the head, just Squier by Fender. It's made in Indonesia, it's a four string, and there's no mods. I remember when she bought the guitar and amp, about 5 years ago, and they've hardly been played since. I'm actually more interested in the amp, I think I could play my guitar through it, but correct me if I'm wrong. I would buy them both if I can get a good deal though.

Mmmh, could you get some pictures of the bass? because squier basses doesn't have the series name on the headstock :S You absolutely can play a guitar through a bass amp, but not the other way around, ok?? how much are you willing to spend on this?

The affinity new goes for $180 and the MB30 goes $280 new. Used an affinity should cost no more than $100, and i think the MB30 should be no more than $170. Since you would be buying everything together, a fair price would be 250-270. a good price should be $200. I think. I wouldn't pay more than $250, and since she's your friend and bla bla bla, $200 or less would be fine. If the squier is a better series, you could pay some more, but really not much more. In the case it's a VM or CV (highly recommendable basses both) you could pay 300ish for everything.

Sterling Ray 35
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Old 04-10-2013, 04:16 PM   #5
twvandewarker

Well I looked at it again and I'm second guessing myself. I'm not sure if I know what the bass is. I can't get pictures now, but the tuners aren't inline like all the p basses I've looked at online. Thank you for the warning about that. I see the amp online for about 200 new though.. Thank you for the reply!
Old 04-10-2013, 05:20 PM   #6
twvandewarker

I found it. It's a Squier MB4. Sorry about that.. I guess I was misinformed.. Well that will probably change the price I guess..
Old 04-11-2013, 05:55 PM   #7
Sudaka
Novice Bass Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by twvandewarker
I found it. It's a Squier MB4. Sorry about that.. I guess I was misinformed.. Well that will probably change the price I guess..

There's a used Squier MB4 at guitarcenter, and it goes for $150. I haven't tried it, but I think those are basses that are difficult to resell. Therefore, if you're willing to buy it, try to haggle as much as you, becasue if you ever want to sell it, you will most likely have to give it away for chips to sell it...

Sterling Ray 35
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2

Rate This Thread: