Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

View Poll Results: What do you think of the Epiphone Les Paul in general?
what's an Epiphone? 1 16.67%
could be better, but it is what it is.. 1 16.67%
Epiphones are cheap and unreliable, if you want QUALITY parts and killer tone- but a GIBSON... 0 0%
Epiphone Les Paul; a kickass guitar that will not break the bank 4 66.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-12-2013, 01:46 PM   #1
RoKHED
Rock N' Roll Revivalist

US Les Paul Standard Plustop PRO, what do you think?

1st off, I gave up the SG.. $320 for a BEAT UP SG G-400? No thanks..
Anyway.. No doubt I am investing in a Les Paul Standard Plustop PRO, but the question is- what do you all think about this guitar? I have never played it myself. What should I expect? Would I be "blown away" for what it is, or will it be a huge letdown for $500?
Old 11-12-2013, 01:56 PM   #2
gregs1020
Hi mom!

depends on where you are on the planet.

some places you can score a nice mij burny or greco for that kind of money.

if i've ever aspired for anything...
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 02:08 PM   #3
Roc8995

None of those options cover it for me.
"What's an epiphone" is a throwaway, clearly.
"Could be better, but it is what it is" describes every consumer product ever made.
"Epiphones are cheap and unreliable, if you want QUALITY parts and killer tone- but a GIBSON." Well, Epi are inexpensive but they are not cheap or junky, and they are plenty reliable. Gibson is obviously a step up but still this answer isn't useful.
And the last option seems to be just the "tell me I'm doing the right thing" option.

So, none of those. Advice tends to be a little more particular than the options you gave.

My first thought is that the plus top and the pro don't really get you that much for the extra money. You can get used Standards for less than that, and then spend the difference on new pickups of your choosing. The plustop pro just gets you a fancy top and coil tapping, and decent but not great pickups. I don't think any of those things are worth the cost increase.
If you've got a little more to spend, $700 puts you squarely into Gibson territory with the LPJ and the Tribute models, which are a significant step up from the Epiphones. If you're still considering SGs, Gibson Faded SG models are $500 used all day long on basically any Craigslist in the US, so that's a great option. ESP/LTD has the EC-1000 which is a bit more modern but an excellent guitar, those are $500 used fairly often and you can often find them on sale new for 6-700.

For $500 I would not choose a brand new Epiphone. If your hard ceiling is $500, you could do better used. If you insist on buying new, sure, that model should be in the running. I think you could do a lot better in that price range but I get the impression you're just asking for us to validate your decision. If that's not the case, help us out and give us a little more information about your needs/uses/budget for this purpose.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:00 PM   #4
Preacher403

Actually, the LPJ from the factory is a step DOWN from the Epiphone Standard. I would overall put the Epi Standards at about even with the Gibson Studios in general, but prettier. But the Epi might need a pickup change since some of the Studios have some good pickups in them.

This is from personal experience by the way.
Preacher403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 07:04 PM   #5
Roc8995

I don't agree with that at all. The LPJs I played were pretty good, and I certainly have had mostly better experiences with Studios than with Epi Standards. Gibson QC can be spotty but a decent Studio generally kicks the crap out of anything Epi makes.

The Epi standard is decent, but I don't see how you could call it of higher quality than the LPJ or even with the Studio, unless you only played one of each and got a weird set, or were just looking at pictures of them. Gibson isn't generally a brand to overlap quality between its models or subsidiaries, especially with their flagship models.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:50 PM   #6
SrThompson

They are more than alright, it's a good mid range guitar and if you do some upgrades you can have a great guitar for a looong time.
SrThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:14 PM   #7
JustRooster
Organ Donor

Epi LP's are great ways to make you regret not saving for the Gibson. At least that's been my experience with them.

BUCKY
JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:38 PM   #8
T00DEEPBLUE
Edits posts like a boss

They're good guitars if you don't feel like getting a job to fund getting a Gibson.

(´・ω・`)
T00DEEPBLUE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:20 AM   #9
Preacher403

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
I don't agree with that at all. The LPJs I played were pretty good, and I certainly have had mostly better experiences with Studios than with Epi Standards. Gibson QC can be spotty but a decent Studio generally kicks the crap out of anything Epi makes.

The Epi standard is decent, but I don't see how you could call it of higher quality than the LPJ or even with the Studio, unless you only played one of each and got a weird set, or were just looking at pictures of them. Gibson isn't generally a brand to overlap quality between its models or subsidiaries, especially with their flagship models.

I own both an LPJ and a Gibson Studio. My Epi Standard (modded with the new Probuckers like the PROs come with) is of equal quality in my opinion to the Studio. Same with my instructors new Standard Pro Plustop. And I've played quite a few Gibson Studios at stores that were worse than my Studio.

The LPJ came with pickups that could literally fall apart; they were barely GLUED into the plastic cover. I've seen $100 guitars with better pickup construction. The LPJ's finish will rub off if you look at it hard. It's a great base for modding, but a better quality guitar from the factory than an Epi Standard PRO? No, it's not. The Epi Standard is way ahead of the LPJ from the factory, for less money.

I love my LPJ now that I've refinished it and put in new electronics. But I also love my Epi Standard that I also replaced the electronics in. Now I consider them to be equals. But the LPJ was a few hundred dollars more to get to the same place overall, and I did the work myself which saved some money.

Now a higher end Gibson Studio with good pickups could be considered to be better than the Epi Standard possibly, depending on what exactly you want in a guitar.

I'll restate though, everything I said is my opinion. Others will disagree, probably with everything I said.
Preacher403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:53 AM   #10
Snake™
BalboaBlvdBloods

Agile?

• Jackson Soloist Pro (1990)
  • Line 6 HD100 MkII to some Laney cab

boiiii
Snake™ is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: