Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-05-2013, 12:51 PM   #21
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

I have a floating bridge and it doesn't go out of tune. What does that mean?

I'm not saying I have all the answers, and I'm genuinely asking, but I'm also not trying to be condescending to anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Last edited by Mephaphil : 02-05-2013 at 12:55 PM.
Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:08 PM   #22
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

I'm asking honestly, I don't know everything and I'm happy to be told that I've got the wrong information on something.

Is this or is this not a floating bridge?

Quote:

Last edited by Mephaphil : 02-05-2013 at 01:12 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:58 PM   #23
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

Yes, that's floating.

It may simply be that with whatever strings and springs you're using, the bridge is able to stay in tune and floating in both tunings. You may find that it floats more with one tuning than the other.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:25 PM   #24
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Thanks, I know. But I have never had the problem that the TS has and I have a floating bridge, that's all I was saying. I've never changed my springs or anything apart from a basic set up.

And in the world I live in, Earth, I'm polite to people and people are polite to me, if they aren't then they lose my respect. Thanks for being polite Mr.Flibble.

I've just tuned it to Keefs tuning, no problem. I don't think I've ever had any issues and I've used quite a few tunings.

Quote:

Last edited by Mephaphil : 02-05-2013 at 03:27 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:57 PM   #25
jetwash69

Mephaphil,

Don't be so thin skinned. It's just a little levity. Perhaps you're misreading TS's post and/or miscommunicating what's going on with yours.

Speaking very literally, all guitars will lose perfect tuning on other a few other strings when you drop the E string a whole step. It might just be hundredths of a cent on a fixed bridge guitar with a mahogany neck-thru neck, (imperceptable to the human ear and to most tuners), but it will still be there due to neck flex. On a gutar with a bolt-on maple neck and a fixed bridge it might be a matter of tenths of a cent (still tough to measure). But on any guitar with an unblocked trem, even if it's not floating, you'll get noticeable pitch changes on the other strings.

I'm away from home right now, so the only guitar I have with me is a Strat with a 6-point trem with 3 springs in it set tight enough that the bridge doesn't float, but not tight enough to make the whammy stiff. When I dropped the E string to D, three of the other strings raised in pitch by 3-6 cents. That's about half of what you see on my MIA Strat at home which I have setup for the bridge to float. Just for grins, I went to "Keef Tuning" and the 2nd, 3rd, & 4th strings went up in pitch by 6-12 cents each! Also, the 6th string dropped about 6 cents after I dropped the 5th and 1st strings.

I'm positive that every stock Strat will behave like this, with varience driven by how tight the springs are, what string gauge your using, and body/neck materials. It's basic science, so (while I don't intend to be rude,) unless you have a magic guitar, Mephaphil, yours will do this too. Again, it's basic physics.

The real bottom line is that TS should know his guitar is behaving normally. If he accepts some tradeoffs, he can mitigate this behavior a bit. One of the disadvantages of blocking the trem all the way is if the guitar goes out of tune from bends, he won't be able to "snap it back" in tune with the whammy bar. If he puts 5 springs in there, then he can still snap it back in tune (if he were to install the bar,) but it would put more wear & tear on the guitar every time.

Best bet is have guitars with trems for every tuning you normally use, and then have a fixed bridge guitar with a stiff neck for when you want to change tunings on the fly. That's what most of the highly successful professionals do.

There's also the D-Tuna, but that's a whole different post, and it has a lot of pros and cons, as well.
jetwash69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:18 PM   #26
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Of course, slight tuning changes, but I've never noticed anything that would require me to get my tuner out and tune. It wouldn't be perfect, but it never is, even after tuning. But generally I tune the strings I need and play, perhaps a slight tune of one of the strings but nothing major.

I thought that he meant drastic tuning changes. Like the A drops to a G#.

My skin is thick, I just thought you were rude lol. No worries.

Quote:

Last edited by Mephaphil : 02-05-2013 at 05:21 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:44 PM   #27
Robbgnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephaphil
Of course, slight tuning changes, but I've never noticed anything that would require me to get my tuner out and tune. It wouldn't be perfect, but it never is, even after tuning. But generally I tune the strings I need and play, perhaps a slight tune of one of the strings but nothing major.

I thought that he meant drastic tuning changes. Like the A drops to a G#.

My skin is thick, I just thought you were rude lol. No worries.

I have never seen a trem reguardless of it being a doublelocking or vintage style ever stay in tune when a string breaks and it is set to float.
I have been playing for 19 yrs and doing guitar tech work for the last 9 as a side buisness. I have never heard of such a thing. Are you sure your bridge is floating and not flush mounted, that would explain what you are saying.

There are things like the Trem stopper, Tremelo Stabilizer, Tremol-no, Tremsetter that can make it somewhat possible. Checkout the things they have at www.floydupgrades.com

EDIT: saw the pic, your bridge looks like it is too far from the body.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate

Last edited by Robbgnarly : 02-05-2013 at 05:47 PM.
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:52 PM   #28
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

I couldn't tell you about breaking a string, I don't do it that often. I just tuned to DGCDBD. The Low E went sharp and the A, but that's it, once each. Nothing major, nothing drastic.

I'm not really sure what else to say, I'm really just writing what I know. And that is that my Strat stays in tune really really well, even when changing tunings. Could it be due to a good set up?

Quote:

Last edited by Mephaphil : 02-05-2013 at 07:05 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:38 PM   #29
jetwash69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephaphil
I couldn't tell you about breaking a string, I don't do it that often. I just tuned to DGCDBD. The Low E went sharp and the A, but that's it, once each. Nothing major, nothing drastic.

I'm not really sure what else to say, I'm really just writing what I know. And that is that my Strat stays in tune really really well, even when changing tunings. Could it be due to a good set up?

No, you're just talking about a different level of tolerance than everyone else is here.

I keep a tuner on my headstock at all times, and will retune if I'm 2 cents off. Usually I don't need to because a simple snap of the trem brings it back unless there's temperature changes. That's why I don't like bringing Floyd Rose guitars to play shows. Also, I tend to leave guitars in the same tuning all the time and reach for a different guitar if I want to use a different tuning. It's not really a matter of choice on the Floyd Rose guitars because they require a different setup for different tuning.

I wish I were more resillient about tuning like you. I've bumped the tuners into stuff on stage, sending the tuning about 1/4 step out and it really messed with my ability to play the rest of the song right. But I'm a pretty crappy player anyway.
jetwash69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: