Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-06-2013, 09:38 PM   #1
seabear70
Lost in the Twilight Zone

Cheap Mustang foot switch

Ok, I realize we are only talking about a $20 part, but I managed to pick up a cheap foot switch from an electronics store with a 1/4" mono plug on it for $5.

It works perfectly, which tells me that any simple SPST switch will do the same for this purpose.
seabear70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:28 PM   #2
james4

yep, lots of footswitches work that way. Ones with two switches are typically a stereo plug, with one switch grounding the tip and the other grounding the ring

yay for saving money by making things!

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
james4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:02 PM   #3
seabear70

Quote:
Originally Posted by james4
yep, lots of footswitches work that way. Ones with two switches are typically a stereo plug, with one switch grounding the tip and the other grounding the ring

yay for saving money by making things!

Let's face it, I do half of this for entertainment value.

I'd save money buying off the rack.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:53 PM   #4
Way Cool JR.
The 'L80s Man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabear70
Ok, I realize we are only talking about a $20 part, but I managed to pick up a cheap foot switch from an electronics store with a 1/4" mono plug on it for $5.

It works perfectly, which tells me that any simple SPST switch will do the same for this purpose.

Would be great if you would supply the name of the electronics store and possibly a part #. That is if it's a big chain store (i.e Radio Shack) and a normally stocked item. I actually could use a nice cheap (already made) pedal for my Mustang I.

Last edited by Way Cool JR. : 01-07-2013 at 02:55 PM.
Way Cool JR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:40 PM   #5
seabear70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Way Cool JR.
Would be great if you would supply the name of the electronics store and possibly a part #. That is if it's a big chain store (i.e Radio Shack) and a normally stocked item. I actually could use a nice cheap (already made) pedal for my Mustang I.

Sorry, I got it off of a discount table at a local place.

However, any spst on/off button will work.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:56 PM   #6
Mars Rover
Guitar Cannibal

Some fender amps require a 2-button footswitch with a mono ľĒ plug. With only two conductors, they depend on switching diodes (in the pedal) to operate the two separate functions. Some amps donít come with a footswitch and Fender charges about $40 for these Ė and the ones with channel/drive wonít work with their amps that require channel/effects. If you have an old 2-button switch around you may only need maybe five bucks worth of diodes and a mono plug to replace the stereo plug.

I found this diagram on the web and it works like a charm. I felt kind of bad about drilling holes for the LEDs in the old Musicman pedal but I have two of them and the other one isnít missing the Musicman logo. I even re-used the old cord. The only new parts are 2 diodes, 2 LEDs and the plug.

EBMM JP6, EBMM Bongo Bass 5-string, Heritage H140CM, ESP Tele Copy, ESP P-Bass Copy, ESP Maverick, Fender HM Strat, Ibanez ST-55, Epiphone Broadway, Taylor 310, Seagull S-12, Musicman Sixty-Five Reverb, Fender HRD, Ampeg B-25B
Mars Rover is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: