Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Bass Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 01-13-2013, 06:54 AM   #101
John Swift
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sheffield England
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudger
Yeah I know, it helps that Chris Wood is the one behind it though. Proves it can be used for more than just Mccartney displays on it


Plus added effects like compression/limiting.
__________________
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
John Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:26 AM   #102
Spaz91
Turd polisher
 
Spaz91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Didney Worl
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Swift
Plus added effects like compression/limiting.

My EB0 (again) sounds like a woolly turd when its clean, add a multiband compressor to the mix and bam, awesomesauce. It actually sounds a bit like a cheap Stringray or Warwick $$.
Spaz91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:11 PM   #103
dethfield
Registered User
 
dethfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
This is kind of a funny subject for me, because for a long time i much preferred things like Ibanez 5 and 6 strings, and generally avoided Fender because the few i played were really to my liking. Eventually though, i tried some newer P-basses, and after a year of debating, i never looked back. Now i pretty much just rotate between 3 p-basses.

To say fender has been "overtaken" design wise, i think, is immature. You are all correct when you say fender has not changed their design much in the last 40-50 years. But there is a reason.. because it works. It works well. Consider thing the following:

1) The vast majority of bass recordings in the last 60 years have been with a fender bass of some sort. Now, plenty of other options have sprung up since the introduction of the P-bass and even Jazz bass, but fenders have continued to be very common. Why? Because they sound great, and they sound great for multiple genres. One of the many cases of "dont fix what isnt broke."

2) Building on that, bass designs from other companies share more with Fender designs than you may think. Hell, alot of the "soapbar" pickups you see on basses are actually just split coil pickups being housed in a soapbar case. The "strat shape" that fender designed is vastly more common (in many variations) in the bass market than other shapes, because balance is even more important and tricky than on guitar. And while some non-fender bass designs might STILL drop the ball on balance and comfort, if you buy a Fender you can bet your arse it wont neckdive on you. Again, "dont fix what aint broke."

3) Fenders are available everywhere. Which is more important than you think. If a musician is touring, and for some reason his fender bass becomes unusable, it will be very easy to find a replacement. Along with this, parts for Fenders are also everywhere, so replacing and customizing parts on your Fender is very easy to do, and to do it quickly.

4) Also, Fenders all have a very modular design. Parts are all very standardized, and very easy to replace or upgrade, which also makes Fenders very appealing to those who like to mod their instruments.

5) As for the pricing, i dont agree with those who say Fenders are overpriced. MIM's are not only great instruments (its been widely acknowledged that the MIM quality has shot way up since 2008), but for a price of around $500, are a great value. Hell my favourite bass is a MIM arctic white P-bass, and i dare say, it sounds just a little better than my 2011 MIA P-bass!

The MIA's i believe, may be a tad overpriced, and the only reason i bought mine was because it was used and was in min condition. Having said that, buying an American Fender wont exactly clean out your wallet, especially when compared to more "boutique"companies who charge $2000+ for what is essentially a slightly improved Fender copy.
dethfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:43 AM   #104
Spanner93
Comrade Spanner
 
Spanner93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Nieuwegein, The Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by dethfield
1) The vast majority of bass recordings in the last 60 years have been with a fender bass of some sort. Now, plenty of other options have sprung up since the introduction of the P-bass and even Jazz bass, but fenders have continued to be very common. Why? Because they sound great, and they sound great for multiple genres. One of the many cases of "dont fix what isnt broke."

2) Building on that, bass designs from other companies share more with Fender designs than you may think. Hell, alot of the "soapbar" pickups you see on basses are actually just split coil pickups being housed in a soapbar case. The "strat shape" that fender designed is vastly more common (in many variations) in the bass market than other shapes, because balance is even more important and tricky than on guitar. And while some non-fender bass designs might STILL drop the ball on balance and comfort, if you buy a Fender you can bet your arse it wont neckdive on you. Again, "dont fix what aint broke."

3) Fenders are available everywhere. Which is more important than you think. If a musician is touring, and for some reason his fender bass becomes unusable, it will be very easy to find a replacement. Along with this, parts for Fenders are also everywhere, so replacing and customizing parts on your Fender is very easy to do, and to do it quickly.

4) Also, Fenders all have a very modular design. Parts are all very standardized, and very easy to replace or upgrade, which also makes Fenders very appealing to those who like to mod their instruments.

5) As for the pricing, i dont agree with those who say Fenders are overpriced. MIM's are not only great instruments (its been widely acknowledged that the MIM quality has shot way up since 2008), but for a price of around $500, are a great value. Hell my favourite bass is a MIM arctic white P-bass, and i dare say, it sounds just a little better than my 2011 MIA P-bass!

The MIA's i believe, may be a tad overpriced, and the only reason i bought mine was because it was used and was in min condition. Having said that, buying an American Fender wont exactly clean out your wallet, especially when compared to more "boutique"companies who charge $2000+ for what is essentially a slightly improved Fender copy.


None of these reasons are anything more but your opinion, and for every point you raise, there are many against it.

1) They aren't as common now as they once were. There are now many viable options that are used instead. Other companies have now actually pretty much perfected the "fender" design, and fender haven't bothered to change a damn thing.

2) It's all relative to what the customer wants. I for example have never had any issues with Thunderbirds (even though many people complain about the neck-dive) whereas I find the Jaguar extremely uncomfortable.

3) If the internet didn't exist, you'd be right. But in this wonderful age of being able to buy anything anywhere, that just isn't true. Pretty much every shop that stocks fenders also stock Ibanez, Gibson etc.

4) Yet again, you can get anything you want for whatever bass, as long as you have the know-how to implement it. I have no problems whatsoever finding parts for my Peavey, nor did I have problems finding bits for my old Ibby when I had it.

5) In the States they may be reasonably priced, here in Europe however you are looking at 550eur and upwards for a MIM and 1500eur+ for a MIA. For that you could have a decent Warwick, a high end Ibanez or a Gibson and still have leftover cash.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Marx
Reason has always existed, but not always in a reasonable form.

Last edited by Spanner93 : 01-18-2013 at 09:44 AM.
Spanner93 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:15 AM   #105
John Swift
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sheffield England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanner93
In the States they may be reasonably priced, here in Europe however you are looking at 550eur and upwards for a MIM and 1500eur+ for a MIA. For that you could have a decent Warwick, a high end Ibanez or a Gibson and still have leftover cash.


Things are overpriced this side of the pond and much more to the point with no real justification.
In 1999 I saved £500 GBP on a Musicman Stingray 5 that I brought back to the UK, it doesn't cost £500 pounds each instrument to ship a container full to the UK.

I contacted Messa about the overpricing of their Walkabout Scout combo in the UK, they weren't interested when I even pointed out how popular they would be at a realistic price as used Walkabouts were more expensive in the UK than new in the US
__________________
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
John Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:42 AM   #106
anarkee
oh the horror!
 
anarkee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Satellite of love
John there's only one solution to that. You need to come visit me, we go up to Petaluma, meet with Mesa Boogie, convince them in person and then we go and celebrate over a beer at the Laguintas Brewery just down the street.

And yes, what you pay for American made musical product on your side of the pond is horrendous.
__________________
"I have suffered for my music and now it's your turn." Neil Innes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutter_101
Don't you mean "Why do we alcoholics keep taking about bass?"?


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LHWok-9xhc Yup.
anarkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:31 AM   #107
Sudaka
Novice Bass Player
 
Sudaka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: ARGENTINA, papá!
Quote:
Originally Posted by anarkee
And yes, what you pay for American made musical product on your side of the pond is horrendous.

I'm on this side of the pond, just a little to the south, and the prices we pay for American and/or European instruments is still more horrendous. Imagine that if I could buy a fender Jazz at the price you pay in Europe, it would be super cheap for me... :S
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.



Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Sudaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:46 PM   #108
Tostitos
Got Mead?
 
Tostitos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The Emerald City
Quote:
Originally Posted by dethfield
5) As for the pricing, i dont agree with those who say Fenders are overpriced. MIM's are not only great instruments (its been widely acknowledged that the MIM quality has shot way up since 2008), but for a price of around $500, are a great value. Hell my favourite bass is a MIM arctic white P-bass, and i dare say, it sounds just a little better than my 2011 MIA P-bass!

Just a correction, MIM Standards are right around $600 new in the US. Other MIMs like the deluxes, roadworns, and classic series are even more.
__________________
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass

DeviantART
Crevado
Tostitos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:12 AM   #109
JELIFISH19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: New York City
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanner93
There are now many viable options that are used instead. Other companies have now actually pretty much perfected the "fender" design, and fender haven't bothered to change a damn thing.


1) What does perfected mean? You mean change things that people don't want to be changed? Fender has a lot more "bad" designs in the guitar range than their bass range. They have things like noisy pickups, obstructive neck heels, bad bridge designs, and many other things. But fans of Jazzmasters or Jaguars would freak out if they "perfected" the design. And Fender knows it has it's fans. They don't need to try to one-up any other company. If you want something else other than a Fender, then don't get a Fender. If you want a Fender, get a Fender.
__________________
Currently Own:
Ibanez Prestige RG2550Z (Galaxy White)
Fender American Deluxe Strat (Chrome/Silver Maple)
Boss GT-10

GAS list:
Carvin V3MC (Hot White Bronco)
JELIFISH19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:21 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.