Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-29-2013, 08:16 PM   #1
Suitable

How do you work out the ideal sealed enclosure size for celestion speakers?

Hi all!

This is my first post on this forum so Gday from Aus!

I'm about to start making some guitar cabs using Celestion V30's and G12K-100's.
How do I work out the perfect enclosure size with the little info Celestion give you on their site?
Ie they don't give any vas specs or anything like that?
I'll be making them out of 30mm thick hardwood and the back will be 40mm thick. It will be 2 x 4x12 enclosures in an X pattern with the speakers. I'm also thinking about quartering the cabs so their like 4 1x12 but in the same enclosure if you know what I mean? How do I work out the optimum volume of air each speaker needs ideally? That way I can work out sizes of of the cabs from that?

Thanks in advance for all your help!!!

Steve
Suitable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:20 PM   #2
Robbgnarly

At most make it 2 2x12 cabs it will sound much bigger.

www.diyaudioandvideo.com/Calculator/Box
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:19 PM   #3
mcamp1230

When I made my cab I just looked at the dimentions of a Mesa cab, took into account that they were using 3/4 inch voidless birtch plywood, and made someting close to it.

30 and 40 mm wood seems kinda thick, but I cant remember if there are any draw backs to using wood over an inch thick
mcamp1230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:59 AM   #4
Suitable

Fisrtly thanks for all the responses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
At most make it 2 2x12 cabs it will sound much bigger.

www.diyaudioandvideo.com/Calculator/Bhx

How do I work all the info needed with the limited info that celestion give you on their site? Ie VAS, qes etc...?

Thanks for you help!

Steve
Old 01-30-2013, 02:10 AM   #5
Suitable

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcamp1230
When I made my cab I just looked at the dimentions of a Mesa cab, took into account that they were using 3/4 inch voidless birtch plywood, and made someting close to it.

30 and 40 mm wood seems kinda thick, but I cant remember if there are any draw backs to using wood over an inch thick

I want to use hardwood so i can oil it and have a nice timber grain finish rather than tolex. Would there be any problem using thicker timber over an Inch thick? I know they will be heavy but there only for home use (atm) so they won't be moved much (hopefully)...
Old 01-30-2013, 08:00 AM   #6
Robbgnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suitable
I want to use hardwood so i can oil it and have a nice timber grain finish rather than tolex. Would there be any problem using thicker timber over an Inch thick? I know they will be heavy but there only for home use (atm) so they won't be moved much (hopefully)...

Yes you can Do that, but it will bE very heavy. I would suggest using wood that is 1" thick at very most if you can.

Typical cabs are LxWxH

29-30 inches x 14-15 inches x 29-32 inches if you do something like these mesurements you will be fine
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:27 PM   #7
earthwormjim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suitable

You should not make it from solid hardwood. It'll be overly heavy and weaker than quality birch plywood. Just get plywood with nice veneering if you want to finish it. Warping is a big issue with solid wood sheets that large.

Are you planning a closed or open backed cabinet? If it's open backed, dimensions are not anywhere near as critical as closed back. Basically just use odd dimensions so you don't create modes.

Closed back, just copy a Marshal half stacks dimensions. There's plenty of plans online, that's how I made mine.

You could also look at the AX84 1x12 cabinet project to get an idea of what a single speaker needs volume and tuning wise.

http://www.ax84.com/corecabinets.html

Last edited by earthwormjim : 01-30-2013 at 10:31 PM.
earthwormjim is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: