Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Singing & Vocals
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-17-2013, 05:06 PM   #1
ScotlandScott

Judge MY Singing? Tips? Opinions?

3 or 4 months ago I posted a thread just like this...

I need YOUR guidance and advice on being better at singing!

So, how about some opinions?

On my SoundCloud you'll find two Nirvana songs. 'Polly' and 'Come as You are' (my acoustic version of each)

Polly is from 3 or 4 months ago when I first began singing and Come as You are is from an hour ago.

Have I improved? Any tips? How do I find MY voice and stop trying to imitate other musicians?

The guitar is too loud I know - Sorry - but a retake is not possible. (I'm embarrassed to sing when people are in the house)

The web address:
soundcloud[DOT]com/scotlandscott/come-as-you-are-vocal-test

FOR SOME REASON I CAN'T POST THE ACTUAL LINK SO COPY THAT THEN REPLACE [DOT] WITH AND ACTUAL FULL STOP . -- Or my soudcloud is scotlandscott

Thanks for any help!

P.s - if you want to flat out say "You Suck" then I'm cool with that, a few points on why would be nice so I can improve

Thanks again!
ScotlandScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:23 AM   #2
Doveri

You already seem to have a pretty nice voice. In your new cover it sounds like you are using your voice much more comfortably than before.

My only suggestions would be that, when you sing higher songs just keep your voice loose and practice in a small voice, before you try to really perform the song. It's hard to describe how to keep your voice 'loose', but it just means you should give your voice room to expand upwards.

Last edited by Doveri : 03-18-2013 at 02:28 AM.
Doveri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:08 PM   #3
HotspurJr

You're a little flat at times, particularly on your slides.

You need to focus on your vowel sounds and pitch. I'd recommend you sing this a couple of times not thinking about "performance" (emotion, trying to sound like Kurt) at all. Do it without your guitar and slow it down a bit, just to really make sure you're hitting the center of those vowel sounds and really nailing the pitch.

I also - and this is a guess, but I'm not sure - think you need to open your mouth more. It sounds a little to me like you're singing through barely open teeth. A good rule of thumb is that your mouth should open about a two-finger width. Maybe it's that your tongue is tight and "up" it that makes sense - you want to feel like the sound is coming up your throat, not starting at the back of the mouth.
HotspurJr is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: