Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-14-2013, 07:12 PM   #1
B&J

Licks...

I have a sort of love and hate relationship with them. I would love to say that i can creatively learn licks, but i cant. I know what i play on a theory level, i just cant make the licks my own. And i dont want to sound like... (insert random guitarist)

So whats your approach when learning licks, how do you dissect them to make them your own. Do you take like the first bunch of notes and then make it your own? Or whats the approach... I need approaches folks. How do you handle licks, without sounding like the person the lick is based upon...
B&J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:04 PM   #2
a0kalittlema0n

Well, you wont sound like the person the lick is based off of. THink of a lick and tell me who "invented" that lick, or what guitarist that lick "sounds" like. You'll only sound like them if you phrase the same, which you probably can't do. (Who knows, I'm just guessing) Pick one lick and learn how to implement it then work from there.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:09 PM   #3
B&J

Quote:
Originally Posted by a0kalittlema0n
Well, you wont sound like the person the lick is based off of. THink of a lick and tell me who "invented" that lick, or what guitarist that lick "sounds" like. You'll only sound like them if you phrase the same, which you probably can't do. (Who knows, I'm just guessing) Pick one lick and learn how to implement it then work from there.

Well,, one course for instance i was working on was a course on Bb King. Now sure i cant phrase like him, but the notes they teach are the same. I'd like a little mental drill to take those notes, and make them mine.... Writing this, it sounds easy. Doing it.... for some reason i keep playing the stupid licks.

In fact when i really start improvising i forget about licks and just play whats in my head. But i'd like to implement those licks in it, but play them my way. Just no idea how the hell to do that.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:10 PM   #4
a0kalittlema0n

so you want to play the same notes, or the same licks, but make them yours?
Old 02-14-2013, 08:38 PM   #5
B&J

Quote:
Originally Posted by a0kalittlema0n
so you want to play the same notes, or the same licks, but make them yours?

I want to use the licks, and make them my own. For some reason though, i cant.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:17 PM   #6
AeolianWolf
Tonal Vigilante

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&J
I want to use the licks, and make them my own. For some reason though, i cant.

how do you intend to do that?

xbox gamertag: Aeolion
psid: Blackwindsamurai (holy **** i want a shorter one)
AeolianWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:43 AM   #7
food1010
Bassist

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&J
In fact when i really start improvising i forget about licks and just play whats in my head.
Sounds to me like you're doing it right.

The thing you can do to gather the vocabulary from your favorite players is to simply learn as much of their material as you can (preferably by ear). The more you do this, the more likely their stylings will become apparent in your own playing. Don't take licks for the sake of taking licks. That should be the result, not the process.

Rate This Thread: