Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-15-2012, 02:12 PM   #1
Distortion_101
UG's Ultimate Guitarist

General questions about acoustic guitars and parts (saddles, pins, tuner pegs etc)

Hey guys

I was looking to maybe add to my acoustic (was looking into what changes make what differences etc) and see if i can upgrade certain parts.

so i came up with a few questions

1. Do the amount of windings on the tuner peg make a difference to tone? (Brighter or warmer depending on amount of windings?)

2. the change from 11's to 12s is mainly in the high strings (i use elixirs, and the only difference in sizes are as follows
Extra Light .010 .014 .023 .030 .039 .047
Custom Light .011 .015 .022 .032 .042 .052
Light .012 .016 .024 .032 .042 .053

Ernie Ball Extra Lights differ as such .010, .014, .020, .028, .040 .050 (slightly heavier on low side)

will there be a big difference in tension around the whole neck or will the difference only be felt in those strings? im looking to drop from 12s to 11's as i find my acoustic to be a little too muddy.

3. Bridge Saddles, I came across this link (http://www.lutherie.net/saddle_angle.html ) and it got me thinking:
1. My strings have dug into the bridge saddle
2. my bridge saddle is shaped incorrectly (as far as this site says) I have a compensated bridge (for B string), the compensation is towards the bridge pins

the shape of my bridge relative to my strings is like this

the correct way (as stated in that site) is like this

Now if i change the bridge to a harder material,TUSQ or Bone (which is better, im leaning towards bone), 1, will the change of the bridge saddle to be the correct way around affect intonation and 2 will it be a worthwhile upgrade?

Here is a pic of my bridge (you can see the saddle sloping towards the headstock)

I know its a lot to digest, and thanks for your time in answering my questions

if i have any more, ill edit original post

Thanks guys
D_101
Member #25 of the Ibanez SZ over RG Club! PM ibanez4life SZ! to join

Tone is in your head and heart.
It doesnt matter what gear you have,
If you love the guitar, you're a good player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punk2Guitar
your my hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjy118
I love you

Thank you very much

Last edited by Distortion_101 : 11-17-2012 at 10:02 AM.
Distortion_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:34 PM   #2
DarkHorseJ27

The number of winds around the post does not affect the tone in any way. The only thing it could affect is the tuning stability if you have too few winds.

To my hands at least, I feel the tension difference in all the strings when I change gauge. A saddle change may also fix the mudiness.

I checked the saddles on both my acoustics, and both saddles are shaped to what the site you cited says is correct, except for the low E string, for which the saddle shifts the other way. I have to admit I am ignorant of the difference it may make. Just guessing I would say having more string contact with the saddle would be better for transfer of vibration to the top; as well as less pressure on a small area, which causes the strings to dig into the saddle.

Having a bridge made to be the other way will affect the intonation, but without being able to inspect the guitar I cannot say whether that intonation change will be for the worse or for the better.

Different guitars often act a little differently to different saddle materials, but generally speaking most people find bone or tusq to sound better than plastic (which I assume it what your current saddle is made of). Personally, I thought that tusq overall sounded much worse than ordinary plastic, while bone was a great improvement. However, that is just my guitars and my ears, and you have a different guitar and different ears, so your experience may be different.

Last edited by DarkHorseJ27 : 11-15-2012 at 05:36 PM.
DarkHorseJ27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:49 AM   #3
Distortion_101
UG's Ultimate Guitarist

well the way i see it is a saddle replacement isnt too expensive, (as well as string changes) so i might as well try them out. At least they not expensive in the states. here i expect the price to be double...

if intonation is affected badly, then i can go back to the original saddle...
Member #25 of the Ibanez SZ over RG Club! PM ibanez4life SZ! to join

Tone is in your head and heart.
It doesnt matter what gear you have,
If you love the guitar, you're a good player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punk2Guitar
your my hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjy118
I love you

Thank you very much

Last edited by Distortion_101 : 11-16-2012 at 05:04 AM.
Distortion_101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: