Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-25-2013, 02:38 AM   #1
bigfyt
guitar?

improving my soloing/ general guitar work

hey guys so i have been playing guitar for a while now and want to start practicing my solos and fills more, whenever i play i seem to just dabble around and play stuff i already know.

i know some scales and can play them all up and down backwards and forwards reasonably quick.

when i go to knock around with some solos and fills i seem to only be playing notes from the scale. i started reading through some pages and some people talk about licks to play with the scales. also looked into some arppegios however didn't stick with learning many.

http://www.myguitarsolo.com/content...licks-directory

now this page has plenty of licks and a picture of a lady

now my questions

1- should i be starting at lick 1 and playing through it, if so that is a lot of licking.

2- are these licks good licks? if not any suggestions on better ones

3- am i going about this the right way?

cheers

bigfyt
bigfyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:19 AM   #2
steven seagull
not really a seagull

3 - no you're not

that's all that really needs saying with regards to your points.

Soloing is talking with your guitar, that's all...when you talk what do you do? You first decide what it is you want to say to someone, then you figure out what words you're going to use and how you're going to say them to make sure your message gets across in the right way.

Your soloing issue is simply that you're missing the first step, you're going ahead and talking before you've decided what it is you actually WANT to say. You have to have some kind of idea in your head, some kind of goal you want to achieve when you solo. You can't simply let your fingers wander up and down and hope something good comse out. It might not be a very complicated idea and it will be hard initially to translate sounds in your head to physical actions on the guitar, but the only way to get better at it is to start doing it. The better you understand the instrument and the more experience you have the quicker and easier things become and the disconnect between your brain and your fingers on the guitar becomes less of a barrier.

So as far as those licks go learn them, play them but most importantly listen to them. If they have the sound you're looking for then by all means use them, or just use bits of them, maybe even rework them slightly if they're not quite what you're looking for. Ultimately though, always make sure that you're playing the guitar, no the other way round. Licks, scale charts, arpeggios, notes, intervals, it doesn't matter what you use provided YOU made the decision based on getting the sound YOU want to hear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven seagull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:55 AM   #3
bigfyt
guitar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven seagull
3 - no you're not

that's all that really needs saying with regards to your points.

Soloing is talking with your guitar, that's all...when you talk what do you do? You first decide what it is you want to say to someone, then you figure out what words you're going to use and how you're going to say them to make sure your message gets across in the right way.

Your soloing issue is simply that you're missing the first step, you're going ahead and talking before you've decided what it is you actually WANT to say. You have to have some kind of idea in your head, some kind of goal you want to achieve when you solo. You can't simply let your fingers wander up and down and hope something good comse out. It might not be a very complicated idea and it will be hard initially to translate sounds in your head to physical actions on the guitar, but the only way to get better at it is to start doing it. The better you understand the instrument and the more experience you have the quicker and easier things become and the disconnect between your brain and your fingers on the guitar becomes less of a barrier.

So as far as those licks go learn them, play them but most importantly listen to them. If they have the sound you're looking for then by all means use them, or just use bits of them, maybe even rework them slightly if they're not quite what you're looking for. Ultimately though, always make sure that you're playing the guitar, no the other way round. Licks, scale charts, arpeggios, notes, intervals, it doesn't matter what you use provided YOU made the decision based on getting the sound YOU want to hear.

all i needed to hear thanks mate.

i have ideas but like you said hard to know what i need to play to make it happen,

ill do some exploring
bigfyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:08 AM   #4
fdsaevad

this is how you learn to solo:

- get reliable tab (internet tab isnt always accurate) of solos you like
- learn the solos
- learn more solos
- practice soloing using what you learned

there is no 'true' improvisation, only slight variations of material youve gone over a billion times in your bedroom.
fdsaevad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:58 AM   #5
steven seagull
not really a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfyt
all i needed to hear thanks mate.

i have ideas but like you said hard to know what i need to play to make it happen,

ill do some exploring
improving your theory knowledge helps when it comes to filling in the gaps but you just really need to start doing it

Don't overstretch yourself, just listen to a backing track and try to come up with something in your head, singing it can really help - then figure out how to play it on the guitar.

the better you get the more that process compresses down until eventually it's nigh-on seamless, it just takes time and experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven seagull is online now   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: