User Name  
Password
Search:

Old Today, 10:22 AM   #20081
Dreadnought
Star-Splitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
Well, I didn't even know what kipping was 'til I just looked it up but if it's what I now think it is (sort of swinging your body up, so you carry momentum that aids the pull-up?) I'd never have considered that a proper pull-up or good form.

It's just pulling myself up, from a motionless position, really... no added momentum through body movement. I did notice just, though, that it's far easier to do it while gripping the wrist of the 'pulling' arm with my non-pulling arm so in my tired state I'm confused and think I might somehow be using the arm I'm intending not to use, while trying to stabilise any swinging movement... I'm confused because I'm half-asleep, but I think maybe I was overly triumphant and I'm not quite all the way there yet. When I can do one with my other arm behind my back I guess I'll be able to feel good about it

Yeah what you're doing is a one handed pullup, not a one armed. You're still pulling with the one hand that's gripping the wrist. One arm is significantly more difficult.
Old Today, 11:31 AM   #20082
DisarmGoliath
Disarms Goliaths

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadnought
Yeah what you're doing is a one handed pullup, not a one armed. You're still pulling with the one hand that's gripping the wrist. One arm is significantly more difficult.

Aye, and I feel pretty dumb for confusing the two right now I guess I was switching the workload to one arm more than the other, but the arm gripping the other wrist must still have been contributing a decent amount. Will just have to work harder at it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChaz
Yeah, once I'm done with university and have a place to live where I can put everything, I'm gonna build a home gym for sure. For now, I'll be moving to an unknown city, and an unknown living situation sometime within the next 5 months, so it's not the best time to start investing thousands in weights and racks.

Yeah, that is sensible. Besides, it's far cheaper for me because I lift a lot less weight than you and don't use an olympic bar/2" hole plates - if I was to buy a 20kg oly bar, and oly-sized weights (plus I don't think my bench could take that kinda weight, even if my squat rack can) it'd have been far more expensive. I just buy more/upgrade as I need it.
Old Today, 11:35 AM   #20083
sk8byf8bob
sk8byf8bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChaz
Light back day:

Deadlifts:
135 1x5
225 1x5
275 1x8
And this is the part where the new owner of my gym comes up to me and tells me that I can't do "whatever I'm doing" because it's making too much noise. I've been deadlifting at this gym 1-3 times a week for two goddamn years with no problem and this new owner is here for one month before I have to go look for a new one. Wasn't dropping the weight, grunting, or making excessive noise. Just proper deadlifts that make noise because there's a bar full of plates hitting the ground.

So I told him I was going to find a new gym and left. Pissed as hell right now.

I've had a few trainers get on me about deadlifting before. I dont grunt and I set the weight down as gently as I can on the mats, but its pretty much impossible to set down 585 and not make noise...

The trainers here are morons though...
I've been told not to eat sweet potatoes because they have too much sugar and to use dextrose powder as my carb source.

They've told my gf not to squat heavy or she will get too big and that its bad for her. The same trainer told me not to do high volume squats.

along with the typical broscience that the trainer told me at my mandatory (and free) PT session when i signed up.
sk8byf8bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:42 AM   #20084
schwinginbatman
Excuse me, good sir!

My gym is kinda iffy about deadlifts. People do it, but there isn't a place really for it, and many times people do it in the one squat rack (there are two Smith machines for squats as well). Either that or they take a bar from the bench, either way making me wait so I can do my exercises.

My gym is too damn small really, but I pay like $20 a semester for it, so I can't complain.

Gear:
ESP/LTD DV8-R
Jackson KVX10
ESP/LTD EC-200
ESP/LTD KH-202
ENGL Thunder 50
Studio 7 2x12
schwinginbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:21 PM   #20085
angusfan16
butts

My gym acquired the building next door to us around this time last year and turned the place into a "warehouse".

show

Pretty nice. Padded flooring, bumper plates, free chalk. You can drop that shit all day and nobody will say a word.
Old Today, 04:27 PM   #20086
sonic_hippy
UG Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by angusfan16
My gym acquired the building next door to us around this time last year and turned the place into a "warehouse".

show

Pretty nice. Padded flooring, bumper plates, free chalk. You can drop that shit all day and nobody will say a word.

****ing epic
Old Today, 04:32 PM   #20087
TheChaz
The Pit circa 2008

Quote:

show

That's badass
TheChaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:34 PM   #20088
Dreadnought
Star-Splitter

Quote:

show

Looks like a crossfit gym
Old Today, 05:22 PM   #20089
angusfan16
butts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadnought
Looks like a crossfit gym

Ha, funny i'm not even allowed to use that word when i'm giving tours of the place. Supposedly it's "misleading" and false advertisement.
Old Today, 05:41 PM   #20090
Cb4rabid
Scheiße

Quote:

show

severe lack of atlas stones and logs

also no car deadlift apparatus or conan circle. 2/10 would not lift there

Rate This Thread: