Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-17-2012, 07:51 PM   #1
wiggedy

Fingerboard Breakthrough by Howard Morgen

I am thinnking of buying this but thought I would ask here first, if anyone has it and has found it good value?

http://truefire.com/jazz-guitar-les...d-breakthrough/
wiggedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:43 PM   #2
20Tigers

I have never heard of it before or the guy.
But i watched the video in the linked page and he seems to have a good way of explaining things. I would wager you could do a lot worse than this course.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:11 PM   #3
B&J

The only way to get a fingerboard breakthrough is to know the notes on the fingerboard and the intervals/arpeggios and learn how to use them (practice)
B&J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:43 AM   #4
Unreal T

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&J
The only way to get a fingerboard breakthrough is to know the notes on the fingerboard and the intervals/arpeggios and learn how to use them (practice)

True. You need to see things in your own perspective. It is okay to get info and input from others of how to do it. But there are just a lot of different "breakthrough" approaches you can use hence why there are so many books about guitar out there.

You have a brain, USE IT!
Unreal T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:50 PM   #5
wiggedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal T
True. You need to see things in your own perspective. It is okay to get info and input from others of how to do it. But there are just a lot of different "breakthrough" approaches you can use hence why there are so many books about guitar out there.

You have a brain, USE IT!

So you learned everything you know from your brain? Independant of everything?

wtf...

Last edited by wiggedy : 11-18-2012 at 02:56 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:53 PM   #6
amonamarthmetal

I bought rusty cooleys fretboard autopsy to learn the fret board.

Click here if you like arpeggios
amonamarthmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:38 AM   #7
20Tigers

Did anyone else that posted her watch the guys video?

The breakthrough is not in the way that he teaches the notes of the fretboard it is the way in which you use that fretboard to view chords and voiceleading.

Yes he advocates and teaches the notes of the fretboard, chord construction, intervals etc. But he does so as a means to an end. What he is really teaching is getting into voice leading and understanding harmonic principles with specific attention to the peculiarities of the guitar.

The "breakthrough" he speaks of is not some new or easy way to learn the fretboard. He is talking of the way in which your approach to chords and harmony on the guitar is expanded to consider ideas that you may not have considered before.

If you watch the video you will see that the guy makes sense and explains things well. If you find him appealing and what he is saying is something you haven't considered before then you may benefit from what he's teaching.

There are other ways to learn this same stuff but this seems as good as any and better than a lot based on the 12min video in the link. I can't really offer any more than that but at least I had a look at what you were asking about before I posted.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:29 PM   #8
HotspurJr

Agreed with 20T.

It's a course on voice leading, it looks like. Voice leading requires a pretty comprehensive fretboard and chord-construction knowledge, but it looks like those things are taught only insomuch as they're required.

I'm not a huge fan of video lessons because I feel like you don't get a lot of bang for your buck compared to books, but everybody learns differently and that actually looks like a subject that might be well-suited towards video lessons.

Out of curiosity, anybody have any good book recommendations on that kind of voice-leading stuff?
HotspurJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:38 PM   #9
wolflen

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotspurJr
Agreed with 20T.

Out of curiosity, anybody have any good book recommendations on that kind of voice-leading stuff?

ted greene's modern chord progressions (2 vols) are very complete in exploring harmonic progressions ii7-V7-I7 --iii7 iv7 ii7 V7 I7 and others .. he uses many chord forms to complete these basic progressions..and in doing so shows the voice leading that seems to be inherent within the progressions themselves..i would not suggest it for beginners..having a firm knowledge of the basics of diatonic harmony would bring much light into these studies..

play well

wolf
wolflen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:04 PM   #10
macashmack
Maskcashmack

I think this looks like a pretty good course, TBH. It isn't very expensive, and the from what it looks like, you pretty much learn all the notes, how to construct all the chords, voice leading, and improvisation. I say go for it, the guy is a good guitar player and he seems to know what he's talking about. Tell you the truth, I'm thinking about getting it now
macashmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:39 AM   #11
microsin

I've gotten quite a few video lessons from True Fire and Howard Morgan's is by far my favorite. Actually, it is my favorite lesson course out of every DVD and book I have ever used. He is excellent at explaining both simple and complex concepts and there are great "booklet" PDF's for everything he covers included with the video lessons.
As stated above the lessons cover voice leading and you do get to know the fretboard, but more as a means to an end in learning how and why the fretboard is set up the way it is. His explanations are great for quickly understanding how you can know what fret you need to add a note to in a chord to create 7ths, 9ths, etc. I'm not a theory or fretboard expert by any means but I found these lessons much more in line with intermediate to advance concepts without feeling completely confused or bored by the over explanation of simple concepts that I get from other instructional lessons.
microsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:38 PM   #12
wiggedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by macashmack
I think this looks like a pretty good course, TBH. It isn't very expensive, and the from what it looks like, you pretty much learn all the notes, how to construct all the chords, voice leading, and improvisation. I say go for it, the guy is a good guitar player and he seems to know what he's talking about. Tell you the truth, I'm thinking about getting it now

Just bought it on sale for $23.40, I think they are having 1hr sales on different DVD courses over the weekend.

Rate This Thread: