Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-17-2013, 07:57 PM   #41
DESTROYER5000
Banned

Well once again the plywood was free so the way I look at it, if I screw up on the build then I didn't waste my money, right?
DESTROYER5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:11 PM   #42
Wisthekiller
UG's Nigel Tufnel

Pine sounds like maple with more mids to me. That's based on the Pine Telecasters and why I chose it.

Upright fretted electric bass build!
Wisthekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:19 PM   #43
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DESTROYER5000
Well once again the plywood was free so the way I look at it, if I screw up on the build then I didn't waste my money, right?

Yeah, that works both ways. On the one hand, if you screw up the guitar then you didn't lose too much money. On the other hand, if you don't screw up the guitar, then you've spent a lot of time building a plywood guitar.

Personally I would choose a good wood because I'd rather risk losing a bit of money than a lot of time and effort. And planning for failure rather than success is a bad idea in this case, you have more to lose that way.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:40 AM   #44
DESTROYER5000
Banned

Ok w4rp1g I recently deleted a thread and made a new one and on the new one i am getting unfathomable amounts of flak for deleting the old one now what?
Old 01-18-2013, 12:47 AM   #45
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DESTROYER5000
Ok w4rp1g I recently deleted a thread and made a new one and on the new one i am getting unfathomable amounts of flak for deleting the old one now what?

I have no idea what you're talking about.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:55 AM   #46
DESTROYER5000
Banned

I deleted a thread I made after I had called out a troll and everything went downhill so I deleted the thread and I am now being called an idiot and a little b$&@& because I deleted it what should I do?should I delete the new thread? If you want to see what I'm talking about go the thread funniest thing that ever happened to you in a music store.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:50 AM   #47
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Dude, stop posting in the Pit. Most people there are assholes, and they have a mob mentality thing going on where they love to gang up on people.

But it's not all their fault, you make it too easy for them to get to you. So basically, grow a thick skin, work on your grammar(I'm not being a dick, your grammar is terrible and it's really hard to figure out what you're saying sometimes), and just stick to posting in the instrument forums.

And don't even read that thread anymore, no good can come from it.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:59 AM   #48
DESTROYER5000
Banned

Ok thank you very much. I swear 90 percent of my bad grammar is the stupid auto-finish setting that I cannot figure out how to turn off.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:29 AM   #49
DESTROYER5000
Banned

Also, why is it so bad for someone to delete a thread?
Old 01-18-2013, 10:44 AM   #50
halfj06

Step 1. Ignore the pit.. these are the same children that if you've ever played an online video game.. are the super annoying ones on a headset screaming obscenities and bding annoying.

Step 2: guitar + plywood = no. Im not trying to be a jerk but I'm not going to sugar coat this. Its going to look, feel, sound and play like garbage. Not to mention how quick it will likely fall apart. If you used that wood to make a template for a body before using real wood that would be ok but its just not worth your ti
e
halfj06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:16 PM   #51
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Lol, the Pit.

I believe they call it a Baptism of Fire, Destroyer.

My grammar is dictated by my fingers. Commas and periods are easily entered, in fact most auto correction programs promote it.

It's pretty obvious why people might get a bit pissed if you delete a thread. If you have a thread and you get flamed in it, and then you delete it well, it kinda makes you look a bit like you can't take the shit you've gotten. It's a bit like hosting a party and then a few minutes later shutting it down because a few people insulted you or whatever, people will be pissed at you and they'll gang up on you because there's more of them.

Also, just because you started the thread it doesn't make it yours. It's not really good etiquette to close a thread because you don't like what people are saying, that's a moderators job.

Everything that W4RP1G said is accurate.

This comes from a well meaning place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Last edited by Mephaphil : 01-18-2013 at 12:35 PM.
Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:35 PM   #52
T00DEEPBLUE
Edits posts like a boss

So what if the pit ragged you? The pit isn't that bad of a place, you were just getting butthurt over people heckling you for bad grammar and spelling. It's the freaking internet, man. Get over it.

Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE : 01-18-2013 at 12:37 PM.
T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:55 PM   #53
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00DEEPBLUE
So what if the pit ragged you? The pit isn't that bad of a place, you were just getting butthurt over people heckling you for bad grammar and spelling. It's the freaking internet, man. Get over it.

Basically, This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:11 PM   #54
DESTROYER5000
Banned

Ok, can do.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:19 PM   #55
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfj06
Step 2: guitar + plywood = no. Im not trying to be a jerk but I'm not going to sugar coat this. Its going to look, feel, sound and play like garbage. Not to mention how quick it will likely fall apart. If you used that wood to make a template for a body before using real wood that would be ok but its just not worth your time

A lot of that that is exaggerated, or even untrue. I'm not saying he should build a plywood guitar, but it will work if he wants to do that(assuming that he doesn't try to use pylwood for the fretboard).

Yes, plywood looks ugly, but painting the guitar takes care of that. And despite popular belief, the guitar won't sound dead and lack all sustain, but the glue will affect the sustain and tone. And I don't see any reason why it wouldn't play just fine. Also, it most certainly will not fall apart with time.

Basically, it comes down to ideals. I believe if someone is spending so much time building something, then they should try to build the best instrument that they can [reasonably] build. It makes no sense to invest so much into something made from plywood if better woods are available.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:16 PM   #56
halfj06

Is the plywood even thick enough for a guitar body?
halfj06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:59 PM   #57
azrael4h

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfj06
Is the plywood even thick enough for a guitar body?

Looks like he's gluing a couple sheets together, then making the body from that.

I think if I wanted to build one, it'd be solid wood, but whatever floats your boat.
azrael4h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:46 AM   #58
DESTROYER5000
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrael4h
Looks like he's gluing a couple sheets together, then making the body from that.

I think if I wanted to build one, it'd be solid wood, but whatever floats your boat.

2 sheets of 3/4" cherry plywood. The neck I'm using is from another guitar.so, no I'm not using plywood as the fretboard, and why does everyone say plywood is gonna make crap guitar?

Last edited by DESTROYER5000 : 01-20-2013 at 02:31 AM.

Rate This Thread: