Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-19-2014, 03:25 AM   #1
royc
gitarista

feedback on epiphone el-00

Any feedback from owners of epiphone el-00? I'm looking for a small-body acoustic for my 10 year old son who finally wants to learn how to play guitars. It is not available at our local music store so I can't test it yet.

Last edited by royc : 02-19-2014 at 05:01 AM.
royc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:24 PM   #2
patticake
Acoustic Goddess

i don't own one, but i've played several. they're not really that small - the scale is shorter than a long scale at 24.75", but there are small guitars with a shorter scale. the lower bout of the EL-00 at 15.5" isn't much smaller than a dread. unless your 10 year old is pretty large for his age, i'd suggest something a little smaller like a little martin (23" scale length, 13" lower bout) or if you have the budget, a taylor GS mini (14 3/8" lower bout, 23 1/2" scale length).
patticake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:45 PM   #3
royc
gitarista

My son is small for his age and looks awkward with my dreadnaught that I recently sold for that reason. The small martin is not available in my country afaik. The baby taylor is available, but I read problems about the glue.

Last edited by royc : 02-19-2014 at 09:51 PM.
Old 02-20-2014, 02:48 AM   #4
patticake
Acoustic Goddess

the baby taylor doesn't sound great to me, although the GS mini does sound good. do you have yamaha where you are?
Old 02-20-2014, 05:15 AM   #5
royc
gitarista

The GS mini is over my budget :-)
There is a yamaha dealer, but I don't see small-bodies in their online catalog.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:21 AM   #6
patticake
Acoustic Goddess

do you mean the store's online catalog or yamaha's? if you mean the store's, perhaps they could order something in for you.

when it comes to smaller yamaha's, there's the JR1. a very short scale of 21.25" means less string tension, which makes them easier for young or learning players. i'm not either, buti've owned several of these, and as long as you make sure your copy is intonated correctly, with the right strings this guitar sound pretty decent.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha-...443-i1146546.gc

there's also this classical version, which i have the older version of. sounds nice, with good bass for its size, and probably would be gentler on small fingers
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha-...748-i2003602.gc
or
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha-...625-i2340738.gc
Old 02-20-2014, 09:00 PM   #7
royc
gitarista

Quote:
Originally Posted by patticake
do you mean the store's online catalog or yamaha's? if you mean the store's, perhaps they could order something in for you.

when it comes to smaller yamaha's, there's the JR1. a very short scale of 21.25" means less string tension, which makes them easier for young or learning players. i'm not either, buti've owned several of these, and as long as you make sure your copy is intonated correctly, with the right strings this guitar sound pretty decent.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha-...443-i1146546.gc

there's also this classical version, which i have the older version of. sounds nice, with good bass for its size, and probably would be gentler on small fingers
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha-...748-i2003602.gc
or
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha-...625-i2340738.gc

Store's online catalog. Thanks for the suggestions! I will consider them :-)

edit: the JR1 is no longer in the guitar center site. I will check on other sites.

Last edited by royc : 02-20-2014 at 09:02 PM.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:17 PM   #8
patticake
Acoustic Goddess

i still see them in stores, and i just successfully added a JR1 to my cart using the link i gave. if you're looking at guitar center, you might consider the laguna LD1 (lil brat). it's deeper than the yamaha, closer to the size of the taylor baby.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:00 AM   #9
royc
gitarista

Strange. It didn't work on my laptop earlier, but it now appeared on my iphone on 3g.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:11 AM   #10
royc
gitarista

I saw an ad for a used loar L0-16, though it looked more like an L0-216. It is not available in my country so he must have gotten it from the US. He is in the big city, around 130 km away from me so I can't go there just to test it.

Has anyone tried the L0-216? How does it compare to the epiphone EL-00 and Yamaha JR1? Thanks!

Last edited by royc : 03-04-2014 at 10:12 AM.
Old 03-06-2014, 02:10 AM   #11
royc
gitarista

I'm getting more choices lately. A store in the big city is now selling alvarez acoustics. The travel guitar is within my budget, but it is not solid top. I am now torn between the used Loar solid top and the Alvarez travel guitar. Any opinions?
Old 03-06-2014, 03:00 AM   #12
patticake
Acoustic Goddess

not a huge fan of the loar myself, but it might be okay for a 10 year old - or it might be a little on the larger side. i'm 5' 3" and it was comfy enough. the JR1 has a smaller sound than the EL-00, however it's a much better size for a 10 year old. as far as an all lam alvarez 3/4 guitar, i'd want to try in person.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:00 AM   #13
royc
gitarista

Yes, the EL-00 is out coz of the big belly. I saw a used JR1 in the classified, but it was a surplus from Japan so it may have been abused. There are videos of the loar, but I can't find videos of alvarez travel guitars. School's out by next week, after that it's time to decide and buy :-)

Thanks again!
Old 03-29-2014, 09:47 AM   #14
royc
gitarista

I passed by our local music store earlier and I saw a newly arrived Cort Earth Mini. It looks like a Baby Taylor and sounds similar too (I tried a Baby Taylor last week). I was surprised to see a small body, solid spruce top at that price (more than half the baby taylor). It sounds better to my ears than the more expensive Alvarez RT-26 and Gretch G3500 that I also tried last week. I might get the Cort instead. My only concern is that it is my first time to see a two piece neck.

Thanks Patticake!

Last edited by royc : 03-29-2014 at 09:53 AM.
Old 03-29-2014, 05:46 PM   #15
patticake
Acoustic Goddess

two piece neck isn't anything to worry about. if you like it, there ya go.

you know, i can't figure out why our usual suspects aren't posting in your thread...
Old 03-29-2014, 07:12 PM   #16
royc
gitarista

That's the reason why I appreciate your suggestions :-)
Old 03-29-2014, 07:52 PM   #17
stepchildusmc

can't post...the "Man" is on to me.... gotta go...ohh.. and good luck with the Earth Mini...
Old 03-29-2014, 10:49 PM   #18
patticake
Acoustic Goddess

*LOLOL* @ stepchildusms
Old 03-29-2014, 11:07 PM   #19
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by royc
...[ ]..... My only concern is that it is my first time to see a two piece neck.
On most guitars, the headstock portion of the neck blank is sawed off the blank, (at an angle), and then glued back on in reverse to create the angle of the headstock to neck to you always see. It would be far too wasteful to create that setback out of a solid block of wood.

My point being, if the entire headstock is hanging on by a glue joint, there's absolutely nothing to worry about with a lengthwise glue joint holding two neck halves together. Nothing at all.

In fact, multi-piece necks, (up to 5 in fact (!)), are actually an optional at extra cost embellishment on many custom built guitars.

These are usually laminations of mahogany and maple, designed for appearances sake of the dark and almost white woods together.

But, you never hear of them failing either.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 03:36 AM   #20
royc
gitarista

Thanks for the assurance! I just got home from the store with the guitar. My son loved it and is excited to learn the guitar, finally!

EDIT: You're right! The headstock joint was there to create an angle!

Last edited by royc : 03-30-2014 at 03:41 AM.

Rate This Thread: