Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-29-2013, 04:04 AM   #1
Useful Utensils

Question Ideal guitar/amp setup for around $500

[Before reading/replying to this thread, please take into consideration that I live in Australia, and everything is about twice as it is in the U.S.]

Hi guys, you may have recently seen a lot of posts by me (sorry if it's annoying), but I'm looking to buy a new setup including a guitar and amp, and possibly pedals if I have some cash leftover. I will probably sell a lot of my shit on Ebay in order to buy these new things, but I think my guitar is one of the most important things in my life

The Guitar
I've been looking at a quite nice-looking "Tanglewood 67" at my local music store, it normally sells for about $500, but my local music store is offering $300, and I can place it on a (flexible) 3 month lay-by. So I'm quite convinced that it's worth getting.

The Amp
This is where it gets difficult, I have very little knowledge of amps, and have been using a brandless practice amp for the past 3 months. From what I've heard tube amps are the way to go, I seriously have no clue of what it actually is, but I know it's a good kind of amp. I play a lot of AC/DC, Nirvana and that kinda crap, apparently a tube-amp would be suitable for that style. The major dilemma is the price-range, I should be getting this stuff pretty close to my Birthday (which is awfully convenient) so maybe I could just wait a bit, and buy a decent amp and the guitar at the same time, hoping the music store may give me a discount of some kind.

Thanks for reading, I hope to see some helpful input.

Last edited by Useful Utensils : 01-29-2013 at 04:08 AM.
Useful Utensils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:57 AM   #2
dannyalcatraz

Maximize your budget by being patient.

Talk to your local guitar store ahead of time to see if you can get them to knock off a few bucks because it's your birthday, etc.

A tube amp will probably sound better, and is worth investing in. However, just starting out, a solid state modeling amp will do OK, and will save you money in the short run because you won't need pedals.

However, unless you're planning on playing with others right now, you could probably save yourself some money by just getting some headphones and a device such as one of these:

(Yes, I know that's an American site- I just wanted to show you what I was talking about.)

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:25 AM   #3
Useful Utensils

Thank you, I am in a small band with a few friends, and I plan to play publicly in a few months.

This would be in my school auditorium thing, they'd probably have amps, they do have a massive P.A system, so I guess a personal amp isn't that important.

Obviously I'll need a guitar, because my current guitar has awful pickups, although it doesn't sound too bad if I use my rocksmith cable and listen to it, so I believe the amp is the main source of the crappiness I hear.

Anyone, I'll talk to my family about combining money for an amp/guitar, I'll also talk to the music store next time I'm there.

Last edited by Useful Utensils : 01-29-2013 at 06:29 AM.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:38 AM   #4
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Useful Utensils
Obviously I'll need a guitar, because my current guitar has awful pickups, although it doesn't sound too bad if I use my rocksmith cable and listen to it, so I believe the amp is the main source of the crappiness I hear.

It sounds like your current guitar is ok, but you just don't like your tone. If that's the case, I'd put as much money as possible into the amp, and then upgrade the pickups on the guitar(assuming you're still unhappy with them after you get a new amp).

But as already stated, a modelling amp can do a pretty good job for very little.

Last edited by W4RP1G : 01-29-2013 at 03:17 PM.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:47 PM   #5
dannyalcatraz

Amps usually ARE the source of crappyness- or rainbows- in your tone.

What guitar do you currently have, and what are you planning on playing?

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:24 PM   #6
J_W

Check out Jet City. I have a JCA20H and cab that sounds pretty good. It doesn't have a whole lot of gain, but it's plenty for the stuff you listed.
J_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:29 PM   #7
ou8me99

I have a Crate Flex Wave, it gives a lot of high gain distortion. Try using a death metal pedal, their really good at putting out some high gain sounds

If i were you, i would start saving money and buy a nice guitar and amp.
ou8me99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:37 AM   #8
Useful Utensils

I did see a massive Laney amp selling for $200 dollars at the local Cash Converters, I'm pretty sure that's a reputable brand, but for that cheap, there must be a catch to it.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:56 PM   #9
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

^ What kind of Laney amp? Some of them are cheap, some are more expensive. I bought my Laney VC30 tube amp for only €280 (it's €630 new).

But the amp they are selling is probably solid state Laney.

What gear do you have at the moment?

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:36 AM   #10
Useful Utensils

Laney GC 80, I can't really find much about it online, apparently it's quite old, IO played it, it was fine.

Rate This Thread: