Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-12-2012, 03:21 PM   #1
ai3gtmc

Small tube amp in a Big hall

I got this AC4TV8(I love it!) and I'm playing in a pretty big place in about 2 weeks from now(300-500 people, hey that's big for me!).

I don't have a cab, or any amp bigger than this so I'm pretty much stuck at Mic'ing this amp.

anyone ever tried micing this thing(or any small tube amps that falls in this category) in a big place? tips? a colleague warned me about feedback when we were planning.
ai3gtmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:52 PM   #2
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ai3gtmc
I got this AC4TV8(I love it!) and I'm playing in a pretty big place in about 2 weeks from now(300-500 people, hey that's big for me!).

I don't have a cab, or any amp bigger than this so I'm pretty much stuck at Mic'ing this amp.

anyone ever tried micing this thing(or any small tube amps that falls in this category) in a big place? tips? a colleague warned me about feedback when we were planning.

if you are going to have an actual sound setup (mains and monitors) then you'd wanna keep stage volume down to a minimum.

if you aren't going to have monitors then you will need to be able to hear yourself so place the amp up higher, closer your head level, and point it at you.

feedback can happen if you are just cranking the hell out your amp, or if the microphone starts pickup up sound from the monitors or mains (this is why amps are kept toward the back of stage and facing outward). if you control your stage volume and set up the amp mic correctly there will be nothing to worry about.

as far as the micing goes, it's pretty simple. stick a mic in front of the amp, send the cable to the board, get your stage volume, adjust preamp on the mic, and the sound guy mixes you in.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: