Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-21-2013, 11:03 PM   #21
jetwash69

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenG
Well not all metal players use 24 fret guitars by any means. Seems to be more of a stereotype. Same with a whammy bar (nat all metal needs dive bombs and finger vibrato and bends are a serious skill too in metal as in other styles)... ...All else can be more or less made up for or compensated electronically.

Funny coming from a guy with all those Gibsons in his sig

Never said they all use 24-fret guitars; in fact I even gave an example of one metal guy who often does, but mentioned an example of when he doesn't.

All sorts of metal guys mainly play 21-fret Strats (and a few Telecasters) without a Floyd or some 22-fret Gibson.

Thing is if you want to play any metal you want, then you should have a 24-fret guitar with a Floyd Rose set up for each tuning you want to play, or you'll have to do workarounds. Hell, I hardly play any metal and I got 3 guitars that are designed for it. Most of the time I play on either a 21- or a 22-fret Strat. But it's frustrating when I want to play certain songs and realize I don't have one of the Superstrats around.

Last edited by jetwash69 : 01-21-2013 at 11:05 PM.
jetwash69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:10 PM   #22
Metallion98

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3volved
The best advice I can give you is go to a guitar shop, play every guitar on the wall and figure out what you like. I'm not one of those people that subscribes to the theory that certain guitars are for certain genres of music. Find the guitar you feel most comfortable with and then you can use pedals and amps to shape your sound to how you want it.

My first post here. Hi all. I can't agree more with this quote. As you can probably guess from my nickname, I'm also a metal head. I have a heavily (and professionally) upgraded Epiphone SG that I'm very fond of.

One time I went to a guitar shop to try out "nice" guitars as you say. I tried a Alexi Laiho signature model. Didn't work. Tried a Dave Mustaine signature model. Didn't work. Tried a Dimebag Darrel Razoback. You guessed it. Then I went up to the other floor and took a standard Gibson SG. Just right! I shredded on that thing for 30 minutes before trying a Les Paul custom that was twice the price. I believe I held it in my hands for a full minute before telling them to give me back the SG.

Yes, a certain type of guitar is better for a certain type of music but it's way more important to find a guitar that's right for you. I'd say make a list of the guitars suggested here, then go to a shop and play them.

Last edited by Metallion98 : 01-21-2013 at 11:31 PM.
Metallion98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:40 PM   #23
HeartString

I've been doing what 3volved suggested every weekend since August and went with the SG 50's Tribute. Dive in and play them all!
Old 01-21-2013, 11:50 PM   #24
KenG
"Experienced" not "Old"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetwash69
Funny coming from a guy with all those Gibsons in his sig

Never said they all use 24-fret guitars; in fact I even gave an example of one metal guy who often does, but mentioned an example of when he doesn't.

All sorts of metal guys mainly play 21-fret Strats (and a few Telecasters) without a Floyd or some 22-fret Gibson.

Thing is if you want to play any metal you want, then you should have a 24-fret guitar with a Floyd Rose set up for each tuning you want to play, or you'll have to do workarounds. Hell, I hardly play any metal and I got 3 guitars that are designed for it. Most of the time I play on either a 21- or a 22-fret Strat. But it's frustrating when I want to play certain songs and realize I don't have one of the Superstrats around.

Ha, ha. In my 35+ years of playing, I've had quite a few Superstrat/Strat guitars for most of the time. It wasn't till 2004 when I finally ended up where I should've been all along, playing a Les Paul. Funny thing is I still sound like me no matter what rig I play.
Gibson CS 2012 R8 Iced Tea
Gibson CS 2010 R7 Re-Isssue Gold Top
POD HD500
Peavey Bravo112 w/Eminence Cannibis Rex
VOX Valvetronix VT30
KenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:59 PM   #25
jetwash69

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenG
Ha, ha. In my 35+ years of playing, I've had quite a few Superstrat/Strat guitars for most of the time. It wasn't till 2004 when I finally ended up where I should've been all along, playing a Les Paul. Funny thing is I still sound like me no matter what rig I play.

Well, not everyone is into the upper registers or whammy dives. But if you are, and a Les Paul is the only guitar for you, then you need Buckethead's Les Paul. Take care.

LPs weren't for me. I kept knocking the strings out of the nut when I played them in the store. But I do prefer the HH config and 2 volumes and 2 tones. My Squier now has that setup and that's the biggest reason it's my main guitar over guitars that cost more than 8 times what it cost (before mods).

Last edited by jetwash69 : 01-22-2013 at 12:01 AM.
jetwash69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: