Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-07-2013, 03:06 PM   #1
10gaugetele

Bridge pickup on 3 way selector; works with neck but doesn't work on own!!???

Hi guys.

I'm mid changing my pickups in my epiphone explorer to a SD 59 neck and distortion bridge.

I've installed all new pots etc and followed this wiring diagram.
http://www.seymourduncan.com/suppor...tic=2h_2v_1t_3w

It's not the prettiest being my first project, but is all wired up properly; however I'm getting rather confused with the distortion bridge.

The neck pickup works fine (single conductor, A LOT easier!) and the neck and bridge work together and both have sound coming out with the selector in the middle....
When i flick the selector to bridge however, it's silent!

It's confusing me so much!
Is this just me missing guitar wiring 101, or is it something a little more complex?

I've resoldered the wire from the bridge pot to the selector at both ends, but hasn't seemed to make a difference!

Cheers in advance!

Last edited by 10gaugetele : 10-07-2013 at 04:34 PM.
10gaugetele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:28 PM   #2
Roc8995

Post the exact wiring in your guitar. A high-res picture, if possible. If you don't have enough posts to submit links, post the link with a space in the middle and I'll edit it in. Posting the wiring diagram you were working from wouldn't hurt either.

Probably just a missed connection or a bad solder joint somewhere.

Roc8995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:32 PM   #3
10gaugetele

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Post the exact wiring in your guitar. A high-res picture, if possible. If you don't have enough posts to submit links, post the link with a space in the middle and I'll edit it in. Posting the wiring diagram you were working from wouldn't hurt either.

Probably just a missed connection or a bad solder joint somewhere.

It let me link this time, so I've edited my original post! said forbidden link before..?

I'll get some pics later on, cheers!

Last edited by 10gaugetele : 10-07-2013 at 04:35 PM.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:04 PM   #4
Roc8995

Are you very sure the bridge pickup is making sound in the middle position? Can you tap the pole pieces with a screwdriver to be sure?

If it is, then the problem is at the switch. Re-flow those contacts, and try another switch if you have one lying around. You can also try reversing the poles on the switch to see if it's just not working properly.

Roc8995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:18 PM   #5
10gaugetele

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Are you very sure the bridge pickup is making sound in the middle position? Can you tap the pole pieces with a screwdriver to be sure?

If it is, then the problem is at the switch. Re-flow those contacts, and try another switch if you have one lying around. You can also try reversing the poles on the switch to see if it's just not working properly.

Yeah, it definitely works as i held my mobile phone speaker up to the bridge pickup and it plays through the amp when in the middle, but no sounds comes through the amp!

I'll be home soon so can get some pics up, but logically thinking it's most likely the switch I reckon!
Old 10-09-2013, 12:02 AM   #6
Preacher403

I'd be most inclined to think you don't have a good connection for the bridge pickup. Rather than using a speaker to check, do like Roc8995 said and tap the bridge pickup with a screwdriver while in the middle position and see if you get a thunk out of it. If not then it's not wired up right somehow.

If you have a multimeter check resistances between various parts to be sure you have good connections.
Preacher403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 03:05 PM   #7
10gaugetele

Hi Guys,
Got some pics now.
Ignore the terrible solder jobs (unless they're the problem haha)

In the process I've replaced the pot for bridge, and replaced the selector switch.
Same problem applies: Neck works, Neck/Bridge works, Bridge doesn't.

If you tap it they make noise when on bridge only and middle position on switch, just no sound!

Neck:

Bridge: (not best pic but black wire in hot, bare and green on pot, red and white taped!)

Tone:

http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/1025/53iw.jpg

Will get one of the selector switch after dinner, maybe these are enough to diagnose?

Last edited by 10gaugetele : 10-09-2013 at 03:12 PM.

Rate This Thread: