Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-03-2013, 06:44 AM   #1
FemmeDeLaNuit

Question One note sounding tinny?

Hi there!

First off, please forgive my ignorance - I am very new to playing, and to be honest this guitar was bought for me as a "stress relieving" instrument so I am by no means a seasoned player. I can basically play the intros to my 2 favourite songs, and that's it (and is maybe part of the problem). So please bear with me if I don't refer to things properly.

I have a beginners Tanglewood, and I have noticed that one note is not sounding like it used to. Whenever I try to play the high E on the 10th fret, it sounds...tinny, is how I would describe it. As in, it is not clear, it sound very flat, you can hear vibration. It didn't used to sound like this, it used to sound perfectly fine, but now it doesn't. All the other notes sound fine (edit for clarity: as in, the same string on every other fret sounds fine) and the guitar is tuned. I'm not sure what the problem could be? It is just that *one* note. I can't see anything wrong with the fret (e.g. tiny chips out of it) the only thing I see is that the wire string is a bit black from where I use it. But other parts of other strings are like that and they still sound fine.

As I said, there are only 2 things I play and that particular note gets a fair bit of use...so it is a bit of a bummer.

I also did a dodgy bit of recording, but I am not internet savvy enough to know how to get the audio onto a hosting site to link to here...

Anyone have any thoughts/advice?? I have tried googling but I don't even know the best search terms to use. Hoping someone here can help!

Last edited by FemmeDeLaNuit : 11-03-2013 at 06:52 AM. Reason: Clarification
FemmeDeLaNuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 08:36 AM   #2
stepchildusmc

lots of things are possible. it could be that your guitar has a humidity issue and it's getting too dry. you may have a fret that coming loose and it's raising up a bit. there are so many possibilities. if there's a decent music shop i your area, i would recommend a little trip so that someone can take a look at it for you.
and for uploading...Soundcloud is a popular choice.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:59 PM   #3
stormin1155

If you notice the tinny sound on only some frets it is probably due to a loose, raised, or low fret. If the string sounds tinny no mater where you fret the string it is often that the saddle isn't seated right.

Your problem sounds more like a fret issue. To test it, take a credit card and span three frets in the area you are having problems and see if it will rock back and forth... move up and down the fretboard until you find the problem. Here is a website the shows the process. He is using a triangular tool made specifically for that purpose, but a credit card works as well. http://webzoom.freewebs.com/wa6dij/...%20Recorder.jpg

If it is a new guitar that you purchased from a store, take it back to the store and have them take a look at it.

Last edited by stormin1155 : 11-07-2013 at 01:00 PM.
stormin1155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 06:23 PM   #4
matthfinn

If you get that tinny sound, than most likely one of your frets are either too high or too low. This is easy to repair and all you have to do is take it to a music store that will repair it. Also, the string may be a part of it. Cleaning your strings with a rag or string cleaner after every time you play may help you. But I believe that it is most likely a problem with the fret board.
matthfinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 06:34 PM   #5
DUISparky

It sounds like you're "fretting out" at the 10th. Check the same string on the 9th and 11th. If it sounds fine on the 11th, but tinny on the 10th, the 11th is most likely too high and needs to be dressed. If it still sounds tinny on several frets in the 10th fret area (9th, 11th, etc.) your neck's truss rod tension may need to be adjusted. Check the other strings in that region of the fretboard as well. Also look for divots in the fret wires.
DUISparky is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: