Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Singing & Vocals
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-13-2014, 11:24 AM   #421
lapwing_47

Hi,

I'm pretty sure I have a naturally very limited baritone range, and on the bassier end of baritone. I have a real issue in this range at the point that you might call the passagio. All the forums and info I can find suggest that I'm a bass. I can't sing a decent E4 without straining, infact I tighten up on the D4 ( this E4 is where I flip into head voice or falsetto- I'm not sure of the difference right now of these two terms).

So with my current range I clearly can't sing any rock/pop covers of some my favourites artists without transposing them down at least three semitones for the most part. Even then I still seem at my limit, and lowering it even more (even with some clever chord voicing on guitar) makes the songs dreary and boring. I'm a bit stuck with this. Basically, I want to know whether I'm totally wasting my time trying to sing these songs in , or close, to the original keys, or whether my technique is awful and I'm not actually accessing a lot of my voice. The only recording I have online of me singing is a some snippet of a fleet foxes cover, see link below. I'd appreciate any comments/help. Even if that help is "stop singing!".

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5z9ii3z8i3nkkic/test.mp3

Thanks
lapwing_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 06:22 AM   #422
lapwing_47

Anyone?
lapwing_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 08:43 AM   #423
ChucklesMginty
\_(ツ)_/

Is E2 to E4 a good range for a baritone?

Edit: ^I'm exactly the same, however I once took a voice lesson and after about 20 minutes of exercises I could hit an E4 much more comfortably. I think I may have even reached an F or F#.

Dude I just checked out your clip and your voice is really good, your sense of pitching is right on and you have a nice tone.

However we all have to accept the voice we have, if you're naturally a bari then you can't expect to be hitting screaming Robert Plant high notes.

It's also COMPLETELY acceptable to transpose things down to fit your range, the baritone range is vastly neglected in pop music now but it hasn't always been that way.

Get voice lessons if you can, I really recommend it because you have a good strong foundation to build on. It will help you reach your higher range more comfortably without straining.

Last edited by ChucklesMginty : 07-25-2014 at 08:55 AM.
ChucklesMginty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:12 PM   #424
queenofthenight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdvv
I'm either a baritone or a tenor... I don't really know
My lowest note I think is about B2/C3
And I think my highest note is about g4
But I don't have the best pitch...
I'm most comfortable around my higher range

And in show choir I am tenor (except one song I was baritone) but there were only 5 guys in my show choir last year,.. And there were only two tenors

But here's me singing *badly*

I really much rather be a tenor... I don't really know why

What I hear is a distinct lack of support. Part of that may be posture. Lack of support affects everything- phrasing, volume, pitch, range. Until you get a handle on support, it's hard to say what your true range actually is. If you have any desire to scream, good support is essential if you are not going to shred your vocal cords. Look through the vocal exercises thread. Talk to whoever runs your show choir. Most choir directors would be thrilled to have a student ask how they can improve, and support is something it's beneficial to work on with a live person. At this point, don't fixate on what you are. Focus on technique. When I was your age (God, how scary is it that I'm old enough to say that?!), I thought I was an alto. Nope. Turns out I'm a soprano who never lost the low notes. There's a fair amount of overlap in range between a baritone and a tenor anyway. Tessitura- where your voice is most comfortable and sounds the best- is a bigger factor in what voice type you ultimately end up than a couple of notes at the extremes of your range.
Old 09-19-2014, 01:12 PM   #425
pianogirl2

I guess I'm an alto with some higher notes (but nothing in the high, high soprano range). Low tessitura here, it sits somewhere around A-middle C on the low end and a mid-high range E.
pianogirl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 04:11 PM   #426
Johnnysd

Just did a quick test, and I'm comfortable with G#1 to G3. So, Baritone? But I really don't like how "strange" I sound on the G3.

Last edited by Johnnysd : 10-21-2014 at 04:18 PM.
Johnnysd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 10:45 AM   #427
kaigeevans

Saw this threat and read through a few pages & it got me curious what range I would fall in but since I make music by ear, I have no idea what I could be, any advise?

Here is a few tracks I did: http://soundcloud.com/kaige-evans/tracks

Last edited by kaigeevans : 10-30-2014 at 10:50 AM.
kaigeevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 04:54 PM   #428
mike_197

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaigeevans
Saw this threat and read through a few pages & it got me curious what range I would fall in but since I make music by ear, I have no idea what I could be, any advise?

Here is a few tracks I did: http://soundcloud.com/kaige-evans/tracks

Gave a couple tracks of yours a listen and to me you sound like a stone-cold baritone, with a really thick tone. You don't sound too strained so maybe you could go higher, but your normal range definitely is baritone.
mike_197 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: