Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-17-2012, 04:06 PM   #1
iBQ

Buying an Electric Guitar (NOOB QUESTION.HELP.)

Need a starting point for buying a new electric guitar.

Am a noob on all technical aspects, so please excuse...

Budget: 200-250 (preferably less) Style of Music: Rock (Strokes.Arctic Monkeys.Killers)

Can be new or used not bothered. Not bothered about style either.

What i'm looking for: a guitar for someone who is only just past beginner status, must be suitable to learn on, not too difficult to get to used to... (Noob alert) - action & 'quality of fretboard' would be the most important thing to me, if i knew how to actually describe this in 'technical terms'.

Currently own an 'Oldfield' beginners guitar, so i'm looking for a step-up, only playing at around grade 3-4 standard so not looking for a be-all and end-all guitar, also looking for something more suitable as a rhythm rather than a lead guitar...

Thanks for any help..
iBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:44 PM   #2
Huge Guy
My muscles sure are mean!

I have no idea what the Oldfield guitar is, looked it up and could not find any info.

Have you looked at anything locally and liked it?

What kind of amp do you have?
Huge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:54 PM   #3
steven seagull
not really a seagull

There's not really any such thing as rhythm or lead guitars...there's just "guitars".

Is your current guitar electric or acoustic, and following on from that do you have an amp, and if so is it any good?

Because 250 is a very tight budget for both, and if you want to improve your sound it may well be that replacing the amp is going to give you better results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:09 PM   #4
iBQ

It's an Oldfield electric guitar, i'm pretty sure they are out of business now it's your basic starter package really. The guitar itself has an issue, not sure of the technical side again, but the bottom string is repeatedly snapping, many things have been attempted to fix this and non of them have worked, besides that the guitar is pretty cheap and has lots of other wear and damage so i'd be looking for a new guitar anyway.

At the moment i don't have an electric guitar amp, but i'm living at University halls, so my plan is to buy the Vox Pathfinder 10, just because of it's cheap price, small size, and suitability for my University room. I have a separate budget for this.

Thanks
Old 12-17-2012, 05:16 PM   #5
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

ah ok. yeah on a tight budget the pathfinder's actually not too bad for those type of tones.

i haven't tried them, but maybe a squier classic vibe? if they're under budget, that is. they used to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:33 PM   #6
Huge Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBQ
It's an Oldfield electric guitar, i'm pretty sure they are out of business now it's your basic starter package really. The guitar itself has an issue, not sure of the technical side again, but the bottom string is repeatedly snapping, many things have been attempted to fix this and non of them have worked, besides that the guitar is pretty cheap and has lots of other wear and damage so i'd be looking for a new guitar anyway.

At the moment i don't have an electric guitar amp, but i'm living at University halls, so my plan is to buy the Vox Pathfinder 10, just because of it's cheap price, small size, and suitability for my University room. I have a separate budget for this.

Thanks

I meant more like, does it have single coils? Humbuckers? Are you happy with this or want something different?
Old 12-18-2012, 06:17 AM   #7
iBQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge Guy
I meant more like, does it have single coils? Humbuckers? Are you happy with this or want something different?

It has humbuckers, it's pretty much an SG copy.

I'm looking more along the lines of a tele or a strat as well.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:21 AM   #8
miio

Check out the Squier Classic Vibe series' telecasters and stratocasters, dude! You could also look for an used MIM Hss strat.
miio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:49 AM   #9
Huge Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by miio
Check out the Squier Classic Vibe series' telecasters and stratocasters, dude! You could also look for an used MIM Hss strat.

I'd suggest the MIM strat, too.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:31 PM   #10
sonic_777111
BJAA!!

If you can't find a Classic Vibe in that price range (it appears Fender/Squier capitalized on the hype and doubled the price), the Vintage Modified ones are nice too and considerably more economical.
sonic_777111 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: