Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Bandleading
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-09-2013, 06:24 PM   #1
accadacca97

Couple of questions........

Couple of questions here, starting a new band and was considering either a power trio or a bigger band with a second guitar, a piano and a female singer. With the big band there would be less limits to what we could play, but it would be harder to put together and more difficult to get around for gigs Anybody have any experiences or thoughts on either one?

2. Is it difficult to find a piano player?

3. Are people generally fine with being in a band that plays a genre that isn't their favourite but that still like?
accadacca97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:36 PM   #2
kilbie
Super Noob

1. The problem with bands is often meeting the right people to form the band, rather than the exact number of people in the band. It only takes one person in the band to be always busy or never practice to make organising things difficult, whether your a power trio or a bigger band. You should think about where you're going to find the musicians. Obviously you don't have a piano player. Do you have anyone else or is it just you at this stage? If you were planning to try and find all the other band member through online ads or ads in music stores that's probably not such a good idea. It will take a lot of time. I find that music store or online ads are best for finding one or two people, but not for forming an entire band. If your looking for a band, not just an extra band member, I suggest you join someone else's band instead.

2. I have heard its hard to find keyboard players, but I don't think its too hard to find a piano player. However, you will probably have to practice at their place, as pianos are not very portable.

3. It depends entirely on the person. A lot of people are willing to play a genre they don't like to get more paying gigs, to gain more experience, or because they can't find a band that plays what they like.
kilbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:10 AM   #3
Pyrotechie

Quote:
Originally Posted by accadacca97
Couple of questions here, starting a new band and was considering either a power trio or a bigger band with a second guitar, a piano and a female singer. With the big band there would be less limits to what we could play, but it would be harder to put together and more difficult to get around for gigs Anybody have any experiences or thoughts on either one?

2. Is it difficult to find a piano player?

3. Are people generally fine with being in a band that plays a genre that isn't their favourite but that still like?

1. Depends on what you want to play if you're the bandleader. If you like a lot of piano based songs, then increase the number of band members required. Don't extend the group unnecessarily, because you'll risk more problems with timing and practice. I would say start off with the power trio, that way you have a functioning band and you can recruit more members as you come along them in your line of work.

2. I've found a lot of piano players pretty easily, a lot of college-based pianists will usually like to play casually, just make sure they've got an electric keyboard or something.

3. It'll work, but my general consensus is that how much you like a genre will reflect on your playing capabilities; people who're just doing it for the money kind of have that "phoning-it-in" vibe that the crowd can sometimes notice.
Pyrotechie is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: