Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 03-28-2013, 12:53 PM   #121
MakinLattes
fully retractable
 
MakinLattes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: { }
Dunno Mac. Let's try it out and see what happens. I don't think being a brain in a box would be a lot of fun though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby911
I love you too, your obvious anger notwithstanding.

I'll defer to you on the balance, since it appears you're the expert on 'tard math'...


I don't want your sadistic love borne by the suffering of humanity.
MakinLattes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:03 PM   #122
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away
 
crazysam23_Atax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakinLattes
I don't want your sadistic love borne by the suffering of humanity.

I'm so tempted to sig this. It's so college angsty.
__________________
Tunes?

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.



Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:03 PM   #123
MAC2322
UG's Twilight Sparkle
 
MAC2322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Bogotá, Colombia.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakinLattes
Dunno Mac. Let's try it out and see what happens. I don't think being a brain in a box would be a lot of fun though.


It irks me as a scientist that we can't do things like his without people getting all upset about 'ethics' and 'playing God'. It's also very inconvenient that we can't just scoop out a person's brain and hook it up to life support for this. As for the brain in a jar, we'd probably build it a robot suit or something after we confirmed its consciousness. I would volunteer for that.

On separate yet related note:

Does anyone know anything about the development of the brain in fetuses? Assuming that the growing of a brain means that it would have to go through development (which seems like a pretty safe assumption to make), then doing something like our brain-in-a-jar could help us determine at what point fetuses 'gain' consciousness, if indeed it makes sense to say something like that at all.
__________________
My signature lacks content. It is, however, blue.
MAC2322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:55 PM   #124
Phoenix V
Registered MUser
 
Phoenix V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Duncan MacDougall
Born c.1866
Died October 15, 1920 (1920-10-15)

(aged 54)
Residence Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Citizenship American
Nationality American
Fields Biologist

Known for attempting to weigh the soul upon death

Dr. Duncan "Om" MacDougall (c. 1866 – October 15, 1920) was an early 20th century physician in Haverhill, Massachusetts who sought to measure the mass purportedly lost by a human body when the soul supposedly departed the body upon death.

This guy was the inspiration for the movie '21 grams'. He perportedly, through controlled experiment of having TB patients with no chance of survival be placed on a bench lengh scale accurate to a gram. He determined at time of death, a human loses 21 - 28 grams on passing, either male or female, apparently independant of size weight or race. He attributed the loss to the 'leaving of the soul' upon death. However his sample space was relatively small, under 6 patients I think?

Apparently no similar experiments to verify this has been performed since those times. I could be wrong....but make of this what you will.

Possibly it was the relaxation of the bowels upon death and the 21grams is the last explusion of methane?
__________________
'It takes 100 guitar players to change a light bulb. One to change the light bulb and 99 to stand around pointing and say..."Yeah man, look...I can do that too"...'

My gear is in my Profile

Hondo 780 Deluxe Refurb

Gibson Studio Build

Last edited by Phoenix V : 03-28-2013 at 06:02 PM.
Phoenix V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:28 PM   #125
Todd Hart
Do Sadists go to Hell?
 
Todd Hart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix V
Duncan MacDougall
Born c.1866
Died October 15, 1920 (1920-10-15)

(aged 54)
Residence Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Citizenship American
Nationality American
Fields Biologist

Known for attempting to weigh the soul upon death

Dr. Duncan "Om" MacDougall (c. 1866 – October 15, 1920) was an early 20th century physician in Haverhill, Massachusetts who sought to measure the mass purportedly lost by a human body when the soul supposedly departed the body upon death.

This guy was the inspiration for the movie '21 grams'. He perportedly, through controlled experiment of having TB patients with no chance of survival be placed on a bench lengh scale accurate to a gram. He determined at time of death, a human loses 21 - 28 grams on passing, either male or female, apparently independant of size weight or race. He attributed the loss to the 'leaving of the soul' upon death. However his sample space was relatively small, under 6 patients I think?

Apparently no similar experiments to verify this has been performed since those times. I could be wrong....but make of this what you will.

Possibly it was the relaxation of the bowels upon death and the 21grams is the last explusion of methane?


Lots of things: flatulence, air in the lungs, oxygen and CO2 bonded to haemoglobin etc can account for this.

And his sample size is far too small to prove anything anyway.
__________________
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Todd Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:57 PM   #126
MrDo0m
Blessed Sisyphus
 
MrDo0m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaponized
We need to invent a machine that we plug people into, and they experience 1000 years every minute. We achieve immortality through virtual means.


You have to remember: a year is just what happens when our sphere moves around in a circle around a bigger sphere.
MrDo0m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:07 PM   #127
MrDo0m
Blessed Sisyphus
 
MrDo0m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Hart
Lots of things: flatulence, air in the lungs, oxygen and CO2 bonded to haemoglobin etc can account for this.

And his sample size is far too small to prove anything anyway.


Honestly I don't see how a transference of weight could prove it either. Can you weigh a thought? I'm sure you could weigh the neurons that make up the thought (no matter how lightweight) but the thought itself you cannot weigh.
MrDo0m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:08 PM   #128
burghUK
Registered User
 
burghUK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: UK
There is no god , devil , heaven or hell.

/thread
burghUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:12 PM   #129
MrDo0m
Blessed Sisyphus
 
MrDo0m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by burghUK
There is no god , devil , heaven or hell.

/thread


We're just discussing the possibility of any form of an afterlife.

/threadcontinue
MrDo0m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:14 PM   #130
AeroRocker
I'm too old for this ****
 
AeroRocker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: OH-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Hart
Lots of things: flatulence, air in the lungs, oxygen and CO2 bonded to haemoglobin etc can account for this.



Still, 28 grams is quite significant. There must be tons of factors adding into this total.
__________________
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████████
██████████████████████████


LET'S GO BUCKS
AeroRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:46 PM   #131
CodChick
UG's Cute Canadian :3
 
CodChick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Under your bed... waiting for you to fall asleep. >_>
We're not going to know until it's too late anyways. Just focus on living a good life here and now and don't worry about what happens after.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by thanksgiving
You should have raised your hands in mighty glory, exposing your boner for all to see, yelling to the locker room "THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjosh
bunnies are cute, but they're little bastards
CodChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:24 PM   #132
fail
Custom Mandy Moore avatar
 
fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Westward
I really hope not. Living forever is like, the definition of pointless.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:48 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.