User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-16-2013, 10:10 AM   #1
Doomball

Havent progressed my barre chords after 1+ year

Hey!
Just recently found this forum, its awesome

Anyway… ive been practicing guitar on and off for a couple of years and decided to go balls to the walls serious for 6 months ago. Ive practiced barre chords for atleast 10 minutes a day, 5 of which are one minute changes and 5 minutes making the chord sound good.
Though i noticed that ive been fooling myself all this time. I thought it sounded good, i even checked individual strings every day, but this week i noticed that it really doesnt sound good at all. If i pick the g string lightly, it sounds good. But if i pick hard it sounds rubbish.
Now ive tried adjusting the index finger, even removing all other fingers just to get the bar down, but no matter what i try it wont work. Do i have a wierd anatomy of my finger ( does look a bit round on the thicker side) or is this just the result of bad practicing?

And also what should i do to sort this out?

Last edited by Doomball : 04-16-2013 at 10:11 AM.
Doomball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:51 AM   #2
Shor

Props for listening to what you sound like instead of just mindlessly practicing. Sounds obvious, but many people don't slow down and listen to what they're doing and sound like.

I don't know how much time you dedicate to practice a day in total (or how much time you have), but 10 minutes isn't very long. It'll still improve you of course, but it'll take longer than if you can perhaps push it to...say...20?
One thing you can try is to arpeggiate chords (i.e. pick each string individually up and down). That will let you hear each string isolated, and at the same time practice your picking hand more than if you're just strumming up and down.
Once you get bored of going straight up and down, you can start string skipping and so forth. That'll keep things interesting while still practicing your core issue.

Go slow and just make sure you're consistently fretting properly and you will get there.

As far as the anatomy of your finger, I hardly think it's shaped in a way that wont let you play barre chords...it's just down to practice
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
Shor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:23 AM   #3
Doomball

Yeah i actually pushed it up to 20 now. I doubled my entire schedule and replaced the one minute changes with more chord practice ( i figured its worthless to practice chord changes if i cant play them properly). But indeed is it dreadfull, trying to find the right angle that doesnt seem to exist for 20 minutes. I get frustrated after the first 10 minutes, so making it more interesting probably keeps me motivated more

Btw my practice schedule atm is 2 hours and 10mins each day
Old 04-16-2013, 11:36 AM   #4
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man

When the hand position starts feeling natural, the barre chords will come easier. After a long time, having your wrist dropped and thumb behind the neck will feel like the most natural and comfortable position in the world, which = relaxed. And that is key.
mdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:45 AM   #5
Doomball

At the moment thats how i play, it feels comfortable, but the buzzing on the g string exist there.

Some people say it may be because of the bar strength, but even if i apply maximum force (and help with the middle finger), the g string still sounds bad.

Note: i do not have problems with e7 major and regular e shaped major since the g string is covered by the middle finger, but the e shaped minor chords just wont sound good.

Thanks for the replies by the way
Old 04-16-2013, 12:09 PM   #6
deltadaz

A lot of trouble comes from pushing too hard with the thumb in the back of the neck
do some trills, strengthen those muscles
you should be able to play the barres with out the use of the thumb
Old 04-27-2013, 06:27 AM   #7
USGold

Or your guitar may not be properly set up, try other bars , different frets, is the buzz always the same string? What about trying different root note bars, on other strings, you could be just fight a set up issue.
USGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:17 AM   #8
flexiblemile

try putting a capo on the seventh fret and playing all the strings without pressing down on the frets, if the buzz on the g string is still there, take your guitar to be set up by a tech and odds are when you get it back, your bar chords will be nice
flexiblemile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:22 AM   #9
AshersUK

Sometimes for me one of the strings gets located in the crease of the finger under the main knuckle of the first finger. There's less fleshy bits to press the string down at that point and so that string won't be quite as taut. Rolling the finger to the side helps a bit.
AshersUK is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: