Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-11-2012, 04:54 PM   #41
jonthorsigmunds

Sweetwater can ship the Tweaker 15 or 40 to me for $185, which is pretty darn expensive
jonthorsigmunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:02 PM   #42
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

yeah. that's getting on for prohibitive. i dare say you could buy it in europe for less, the postage shouldn't be anywhere near as much as that. guitar guitar had some deals on the tweaker stuff recently, they may still have those deals on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Blackstar can blow me; dodgey ****ers.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:31 PM   #43
jonthorsigmunds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
yeah. that's getting on for prohibitive. i dare say you could buy it in europe for less, the postage shouldn't be anywhere near as much as that. guitar guitar had some deals on the tweaker stuff recently, they may still have those deals on.

They have the Tweaker 15 head for 370 pounds, around 80$ more expensive than sweetwater... Europe prices are ridiculous
Old 12-11-2012, 06:32 PM   #44
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

^ yeah i think they had deals on the bigger ones. But they might be out of budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Blackstar can blow me; dodgey ****ers.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:04 PM   #45
jonthorsigmunds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
^ yeah i think they had deals on the bigger ones. But they might be out of budget.

that was supposed to be 80% more expensive than sweetwater... I don't know how I'll figure this one out. Might try to find someone i know that's going to the US and have them bring it home
Old 12-11-2012, 10:23 PM   #46
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonthorsigmunds
that was supposed to be 80% more expensive than sweetwater... I don't know how I'll figure this one out. Might try to find someone i know that's going to the US and have them bring it home

if you do, get the Tweaker 40. far better than the 15 IMO. more controls and headroom, two things I greatly appreciate in an amp.

My neighbor/classmate is icelandic! he said this is hi how are you: eg eins og ao boroa tre.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:40 AM   #47
jonthorsigmunds

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihartfood
if you do, get the Tweaker 40. far better than the 15 IMO. more controls and headroom, two things I greatly appreciate in an amp.

My neighbor/classmate is icelandic! he said this is hi how are you: eg eins og ao boroa tre.

Oh really is he coming home for christmas?
Yeh I'm much more interested in the 40 mostly for the second channel...
It's "only" $200 more, which will be $250 for me (25% vat)
Old 12-12-2012, 07:34 PM   #48
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

can't this year, costs too much. else I'd send the tweaker with him
Old 12-13-2012, 02:41 PM   #49
jonthorsigmunds

Aw man that'd have been so cool if he could've brought it.. Anyway, my local music store owner told me that $185 shipping for an amp this size was nothing and i should take it but really adviced me not to go towards Egnater... He pointed me more towards Orange and said that all those tweakability's were really not all that useful since a guitar player tends to find his sound in an amp and keep it set that way

Edit: I am getting more and more fascinated by the Tiny Terror, I can get those new here for around $600 and used for around $400... Our local Orange dealer has fantastic prices, probably best in Europe which is strange for Iceland.
I tried one the other day and was blown away! I'm kind of sceptical about not having an fx loop and 2 channels but i think I will get used to having only one channel.

Last edited by jonthorsigmunds : 12-13-2012 at 03:03 PM.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:55 PM   #50
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Your local music store guy is going to do his best to sell you what he has in shop, so of course he's trying to talk you out of it. He wants to make money on this.

As for not using the tweakability, I have two things to say about that:

1.) I have the Egnater Vengeance. There's a link to it in my signature, check it out. It has a SHIT load of tweaking options, just like the Tweaker. It doesn't have the little "voicing" switches, but I sure wouldn't complain if it did. Why? Because I play a shit load of different genres. Blues, Southern Rock, Country, Classic Rock, Classic Metal, Hard Rock, Thrash Metal, Alternative Rock, Alternative Metal, and Modern Metal. My band plays metal, but I play just about everything other than Jazz, although we've jammed some Jazz before. It's not about you using every single one in one band, it's about having the versatility to jam with any song or group of people you want. I don't particularly fancy country, but I won't turn down a jam session with some guys because that's what they want to play. Plus, it's fun to watch their faces when this giant viking-looking guy sits down with his quarter-stack that's got an all-black, clearly-made-for-metal head on it, and I bust out some tasty country chicken pickin' with a tone to match. It's a look that never gets old.

2.) You seem to be in a stage that every guitarist goes through where you really aren't totally familiar with what each amp can or can't do, you don't have a specific sound that's "yours" yet, and you haven't found the amp that's for you. Well, you get the tweaker, and let's say you do find "your" sound and never move the knobs or switches again. First off, if you're that set on that sound, does it matter that your amp is/isn't capable of other sounds? Not really. It's not like you're paying extra for this amp because it is more versatile. If you can find the sound in your head on it and never have to buy another amp, why would you complain or care that you aren't using those features? If it lacked the one that you use to get "your" sound, then you would still be looking for a different amp. I have "my" sound, more or less, that I use for my band. I have little pencil marks on my amp for where I set the knobs when I play with them. I still tweak my sound constantly. I'm about to get new speakers. I seriously doubt I use the exact same settings once those are installed in my cab. When I put new tubes in, I had to tweak my settings again. It's not really so simple as get an amp and glue your knobs in place.

I mean, look at Lamb of God. Mark and Willie both used Mesa Mark IV's. Then, when the Mark V came out, they switched to that. Now, Mark has switched to the Royal Atlantic. Usually, your tone and even gear doesn't stay the same forever.
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:33 PM   #51
jonthorsigmunds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blktiger0
Your local music store guy is going to do his best to sell you what he has in shop, so of course he's trying to talk you out of it. He wants to make money on this.

As for not using the tweakability, I have two things to say about that:

1.) I have the Egnater Vengeance. There's a link to it in my signature, check it out. It has a SHIT load of tweaking options, just like the Tweaker. It doesn't have the little "voicing" switches, but I sure wouldn't complain if it did. Why? Because I play a shit load of different genres. Blues, Southern Rock, Country, Classic Rock, Classic Metal, Hard Rock, Thrash Metal, Alternative Rock, Alternative Metal, and Modern Metal. My band plays metal, but I play just about everything other than Jazz, although we've jammed some Jazz before. It's not about you using every single one in one band, it's about having the versatility to jam with any song or group of people you want. I don't particularly fancy country, but I won't turn down a jam session with some guys because that's what they want to play. Plus, it's fun to watch their faces when this giant viking-looking guy sits down with his quarter-stack that's got an all-black, clearly-made-for-metal head on it, and I bust out some tasty country chicken pickin' with a tone to match. It's a look that never gets old.

2.) You seem to be in a stage that every guitarist goes through where you really aren't totally familiar with what each amp can or can't do, you don't have a specific sound that's "yours" yet, and you haven't found the amp that's for you. Well, you get the tweaker, and let's say you do find "your" sound and never move the knobs or switches again. First off, if you're that set on that sound, does it matter that your amp is/isn't capable of other sounds? Not really. It's not like you're paying extra for this amp because it is more versatile. If you can find the sound in your head on it and never have to buy another amp, why would you complain or care that you aren't using those features? If it lacked the one that you use to get "your" sound, then you would still be looking for a different amp. I have "my" sound, more or less, that I use for my band. I have little pencil marks on my amp for where I set the knobs when I play with them. I still tweak my sound constantly. I'm about to get new speakers. I seriously doubt I use the exact same settings once those are installed in my cab. When I put new tubes in, I had to tweak my settings again. It's not really so simple as get an amp and glue your knobs in place.

I mean, look at Lamb of God. Mark and Willie both used Mesa Mark IV's. Then, when the Mark V came out, they switched to that. Now, Mark has switched to the Royal Atlantic. Usually, your tone and even gear doesn't stay the same forever.

As much as I want the Tweaker i bought a Marshall JCM 2000 TSL 601 combo today for around $580, less than a new tiny terror locally. Amp is in great shape and hasn't been played for like 3 years. I might hold on to that one but man that thing is loud! no way I can crank it at home
Old 12-14-2012, 02:54 PM   #52
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Be careful, as those have been known to melt themselves on the inside. They're actually worse than the older DSL's when it comes to that.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:56 PM   #53
jonthorsigmunds

Quote:
Be careful, as those have been known to melt themselves on the inside. They're actually worse than the older DSL's when it comes to that.

How so?
I'm not sure if the amp's a keeper... I just needed an amp and this one popped up for sale so I took it, i can sell it for a profit anyway.
The amp sounds good but at high gain it sounds a bit muffled when I'm not cranking the volume
Old 12-15-2012, 06:29 PM   #54
EVH-RR-GL-14

If your still looking for an amp i highly recommend the Carvin X100B. It has enough gain for me but for avenged sevenfold you might want and sd1 for an extra boost.
EVH-RR-GL-14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:30 PM   #55
EVH-RR-GL-14

Nevermind i just saw you got a tsl. Congrats!
EVH-RR-GL-14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:48 PM   #56
jonthorsigmunds

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVH-RR-GL-14
Nevermind i just saw you got a tsl. Congrats!

Thank you
Old 12-16-2012, 12:56 AM   #57
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonthorsigmunds
How so?
I'm not sure if the amp's a keeper... I just needed an amp and this one popped up for sale so I took it, i can sell it for a profit anyway.
The amp sounds good but at high gain it sounds a bit muffled when I'm not cranking the volume

I believe it has something to do with the rectifier getting too hot and melting shit. If you open that amp up, it's a straight-up clusterf*** inside. Cathbard might be able to help more. He's more or less a Marshall expert. I believe you can mod it to fix it (I know you can on DSL's) but I have no clue what it involves.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:02 PM   #58
jonthorsigmunds

Quote:
I believe it has something to do with the rectifier getting too hot and melting shit. If you open that amp up, it's a straight-up clusterf*** inside. Cathbard might be able to help more. He's more or less a Marshall expert. I believe you can mod it to fix it (I know you can on DSL's) but I have no clue what it involves.

Okay thanks I'll talk to Cath
Old 12-16-2012, 06:26 PM   #59
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

how is your TSL in terms of clarity and brightness? I always found them extremely lacking
Old 12-16-2012, 06:35 PM   #60
jonthorsigmunds

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihartfood
how is your TSL in terms of clarity and brightness? I always found them extremely lacking

Not as bright as i wanted... with the presence cranked to 10 it does the job though

Rate This Thread: