Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-04-2013, 08:23 AM   #1
SpeedosZ

Neck Material

3P mahogany;
3P maple;
5P mahogany/maple;
5P maple/mahogany;
What are the differences ? i have to choose between these ones and i don't know which will better suit my tastes , because i have no idea how they affect the sound...i only know that the more pieces, the better , as it will be stronger..
the guitar will be this one http://www.ranguitars.com/ran_models/crusher , the 7 string 27" neck thru version.
if this helps you , the genres i usually play are doom metal , metal , gothic metal , and a bit of progressive metal and post metal
influences : Isole , Paradise Lost , Riverside , Katatonia , Pelican, Tool, Opeth, a perfect circle
SpeedosZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:37 AM   #2
Robbgnarly

For some reason I remember hearing these were not very good (although that may have been Halo I'm thinking of)

But get what you want for a neck. Yes it does have a small impact on tone, but I doubt you'll notice
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:19 AM   #3
SpeedosZ

doesn't matter if it has a small impact on the tone , because every small difference in sound from different parts of the guitar are going to add up and color the tone big time... so , what are the differences between these ones ? ( tone wise , etc) and how do they match to my tastes ?
Old 05-04-2013, 09:33 AM   #4
bobafettacheese

This sounds like it is going to become a "does the type of wood affect the tone?" argument. Basically I think what robb is saying is that the difference between them will be miniscule enough that once the pickups and amp are factored in you should not be able to realistically tell the difference in sound.
Misc. Pedals
bobafettacheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:41 AM   #5
Robbgnarly

Mahogany has a deeper warmer tone
Maple has a Brighter snappy tone

^^^But what he said
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:59 AM   #6
-MintSauce-
Time Lord

3P mahogany - warm
3P maple - bright
5P mahogany/maple - balanced tone, structurally stronger for being 5 piece
5P maple/mahogany - balanced tone, structurally stronger for being 5 piece

You should notice a difference between the pure mahogany and pure maple, but the 5-piece should be pretty much identical. If you're going for a 7 string neck through with 27" scale, you might want to consider the 5-piece for strength - I don't think you'd encounter any problems with a 3-piece, though.
-MintSauce- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:05 PM   #7
SpeedosZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by -MintSauce-
5P mahogany/maple - balanced tone, structurally stronger for being 5 piece
5P maple/mahogany - balanced tone, structurally stronger for being 5 piece

if they are kind of the same , then what is the difference and the point in being 2 ?
does the mahogany/maple mean that there is more mahogany (maple/mahog : more maple ) or what ?
Old 05-04-2013, 12:11 PM   #8
-MintSauce-
Time Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedosZ
if they are kind of the same , then what is the difference and the point in being 2 ?
does the mahogany/maple mean that there is more mahogany (maple/mahog : more maple ) or what ?

Basically, yeah. I assume that one will have mahogany-maple-mahogany-maple-mahogany, and the other will be the oppiste of maple-mahogany-maple-mahogany-maple. IMHO, it comes down to aesthetics at that point with a natural finish.
-MintSauce- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 02:20 PM   #9
callumbloodpuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedosZ

for appearance.
callumbloodpuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 04:12 PM   #10
aerosmithfan95
Call me Billy.

Well, I honestly don't believe (or hear how) wood affects the tone of the guitar, so I don't think it matters what you'll get. And if it did, it'll be very unnoticeable.

But, what I have seen, mahogany is for more "darker" tones and maple is for more "brighter" tones. So, if you can hear a difference in woods, then you'll have to decide what's best for you. If you want a combination of the two tone "styles", then you should get one of the 5P necks.

(Also, I don't want to start a flamewar, I was just stating an opinion.)

Edit: And by affecting the tone of the guitar, I'm talking about an electric guitar plugged into an amp here. In my two acoustics (some cheap Hondo and a Fender CD-120), I definitely here a difference. I can also hear the difference in my electrics while their unplugged, but I don't hear any "tonewood" differences when they're plugged in. Just so I can clear up my stance on that a bit better.

Guitar --> Pedals --> Amplifier

Last edited by aerosmithfan95 : 05-04-2013 at 04:14 PM.
aerosmithfan95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:37 PM   #11
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

^ But your electrics are fundamentally so different, it's very easy to write off any differences you do hear as being down to electronics.

Trust me, when you've played as many guitars as I have and have swapped as many parts around as I have, you do start to hear what each piece is doing, what contributes what and what parts are consistent.

As far as OP's question goes, the others have basically covered it though I will add that the 5pc construction options are interesting ones. If they are five even pieces then there likely will not be any difference in tone at all. Three pieces of maple and two of mahogany, or vice-versa, isn't enough of a difference in woods to matter, tonally. However, the weight of the guitar may be different and the neck itself may feel different in your hands, as maple tends to weigh more and mahogany tends to feel more resonant (as in you will actually feel the vibration against the palm of your hand more).
If the woods aren't evenly divided then you will notice more of a different. Some 'five piece' necks are really three main pieces with two extra very slim pieces running down the middle as accent lines. A good example of this style is the neck used on Mayones Regius guitars; though it is technically made of eleven pieces of wood, most of those pieces are only around 1mm thick, while the vast majority of the neck remains maple.

If you want the most typical neck-through tone, go for maple. The vast majority of neck-through guitars use nothing but maple in their construction and three pieces is more than stable enough, unless the neck is made to be very thin la Ibanez designs. All-mahogany construction may well be too 'soft' sounding for you. Either of the five piece styles should work well if the woods are evenly distributed; if they are not then go for the one with more maple.

Rate This Thread: