Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-25-2013, 01:07 PM   #1
Auod

Is this guitar classical or acoustic?

I have a cheap guitar (I don't think it's branded) that has steel strings (Like an acoustic one), but I doubt that it's an acoustic guitar, because its body is like a classical one. And I searched a lot about the differences between acoustic and classical, but it didn't really help due to its unknown brand. I'm not very experienced about guitars, so I'd like to tell me your ideas and opinions about the type of this guitar. (I don't want to buy a new guitar. I'm gonna stick with this one right now)

((NEW)): My guitar doesn't have a truss rod.

((NOTE)): There are two pics of the guitar, so look at them carefully and judge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (67.1 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (63.8 KB, 66 views)

Last edited by Auod : 07-08-2013 at 02:43 AM.
Auod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:21 PM   #2
BruceDelaney

Any guitar you don't plug in and it produces noise is acoustic.

There are several companies that produce steel string folk guitars with a slotted head stock like you have there.

I can't really tell but that doesn't seem to have a classical neck to it. It just doesn't look wide enough to me.

Last edited by BruceDelaney : 06-25-2013 at 03:23 PM.
BruceDelaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:41 PM   #3
Auod

Will the guitar produce unexpected sounds or buzzing if I put nylon strings on it? Because I like classical guitar more than acoustic one.

Last edited by Auod : 06-25-2013 at 04:50 PM.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:04 PM   #4
BruceDelaney

Your best bet would be to bring the guitar with you to the shop where you buy the strings from. They will be able to identify it for you.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:14 PM   #5
CricketBat
His brain loves Plumb

I'm not that knowledgeable, but I associate bridges like that with classical guitars.
CricketBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:43 PM   #6
patticake
Acoustic Goddess

since nylon strings are so much thicker and lower tension than steel, putting nylon strings on an acoustic guitar will take some adjustments, at least some of which will cost money unless you're very handy with tools. also an acoustic guitar you put nylon strings on won't sound anything like a classical, which is more about the way the body is made than the strings used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auod
Will the guitar produce unexpected sounds or buzzing if I put nylon strings on it? Because I like classical guitar more than acoustic one.

acoustic guitars also have bridges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CricketBat
I'm not that knowledgeable, but I associate bridges like that with classical guitars.
patticake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:03 AM   #7
Auod

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceDelaney
Your best bet would be to bring the guitar with you to the shop where you buy the strings from. They will be able to identify it for you.

Good idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by patticake
since nylon strings are so much thicker and lower tension than steel, putting nylon strings on an acoustic guitar will take some adjustments, at least some of which will cost money unless you're very handy with tools. also an acoustic guitar you put nylon strings on won't sound anything like a classical, which is more about the way the body is made than the strings used.

Thanks for the advice
Old 06-26-2013, 03:55 AM   #8
Captaincranky

Could you post a picture of just the bridge?

I can't tell if there are pins or tie through holes from the photo.

Usually steel string acoustics have pin bridges, and an "intonation" slant in the saddle. (The white plastic or bone piece the strings ride over on the bridge). The saddle has an angle to it in relation to the top nut, and the strings are longer on the bass side.

The guitar is certainly styled like a classical guitar. That's all I got.

I'm sure plenty of steel string guitars have been cobbled together with classical styling.

Last edited by Captaincranky : 06-26-2013 at 03:56 AM.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:25 AM   #9
CricketBat
His brain loves Plumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by patticake

acoustic guitars also have bridges.

Yeah, i said bridges like that. sort of long and rectangle.
CricketBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:57 AM   #10
BruceDelaney

Looking closely at the bridge it looks like it is a classical type bridge that someone has put steel strings w/ball ends on. The Saddle doesn't appear to be slanted either.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:43 AM   #11
Bikewer

Quite a lot of inexpensive guitars were made like this... "classical" bridge, and slotted peghead without the usual large-diameter posts you see on a classical.
No pickguard....
Certainly looks in all ways like it was designed to be strung with nylon strings, and someone put steels on it.
This is not necessarily a disaster, some cheaper guitars are rather overbuilt and the usually-laminate face is pretty strong. Using lighter tension steel or "silk & steel" strings may be doable for a long time.
Bikewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:03 AM   #12
Auod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captaincranky
Could you post a picture of just the bridge?

Here is the picture. (The Bridge is not 100% straight, it is angled)
Attached Images

Old 06-27-2013, 03:44 AM   #13
John Hovis

Hi, guys this is first time i am visiting this forum and so happy to see such a great info here. So many things i came to know new and the way you guys describe everything here sounds amazing. Thanks for all your work will back soon for more updates.

Last edited by John Hovis : 06-27-2013 at 03:48 AM.
John Hovis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:33 AM   #14
Auod

I replaced the steel strings with nylon and it sounds very good. Thanks for your replies everyone ^_^
Old 07-10-2013, 06:24 AM   #15
stepchildusmc

you're welcome. glad i could help( sometimes it's smarter for me to "just shut up and drive the bus").

Rate This Thread: