Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > New Members Q&A Forum
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-12-2013, 10:00 AM   #1
daniel.gibran.5

how to play like mustaine/slash/dimebag and the like?

i don't intend to be a guitar God or anything...i just want to reach the level of my favorite guitar players...

at this point i can only dedicate about 4 hours to guitar playing everyday...do you think sincere practicing for 4 hours a day, six days a week will help me reach the level of hetfield/mustaine/slash/dimebag etc in about 5 years?

^^once again i've got no intentions of becoming a vai or a malmsteen...i just want to develop enough skills to play in a good metal band with my friends and have a good time...
daniel.gibran.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:22 AM   #2
5_Years_Dead
Banned

If you can play like those guys, you could be considered a "guitar god".

Just practice what they play. Learn who influenced them and try to find more inspiration there.

24 hours a week for 5 years...=6,240 hours of practice. That should be enough time.

Chords and scales, bro. Learn them, your guitar gods did. You need to also.

Listen. Think. Apply.
5_Years_Dead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:39 AM   #3
BigHeadClan
Mistro

I think you could do it in 3-5 as long as you practice properly, just playing 4 hours a day isn't enough you need to really break down how they are playing and analyze your mistakes and make corrections. Also having some music theory is always a plus.

Just don't burn yourself out with all that playing!
Old 11-12-2013, 12:02 PM   #4
My Last Words
Billions and billions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHeadClan
I think you could do it in 3-5 as long as you practice properly, just playing 4 hours a day isn't enough you need to really break down how they are playing and analyze your mistakes and make corrections. Also having some music theory is always a plus.

Just don't burn yourself out with all that playing!

I really don't recommend analyzing Mustaine's playing, as his technique is quite unorthodox and even sloppy at times. Nothing wrong with analyzing their note choice ofcourse, if you want to sound like them. For technique-related stuff I'd rather analyse the playing of the top notch players like Guthrie Govan and the likes..

Also, one can easily play 3-4 hours a day without "burning out".. as long as you practice correctly..

Apart from that, I think 3-4 years will get you there..

Last edited by My Last Words : 11-12-2013 at 12:35 PM.
My Last Words is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:15 PM   #5
ryanbwags

God, you guys make me feel bad when you say "Is 4 hours a day enough?" Geez. It sucks getting older, I sometimes go a week without turning my amp on. Enjoy your many hours of free time now.
Also, Mustaine has been quoted several times saying he never practices. In fact, I heard him say it on the Megadeth Guitar Center Sessions.
EHX: Metal Muff
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
EHX: Big Muff Pi
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
ryanbwags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:21 PM   #6
SkyValley
John Wayne Bassy

Why would you want to sound like sloppy, wanky bullshit? Those guys are all old hat, their styles are overdone and overcooked. You might as well be learning Poison and Stryper and such, learning shit like that. Nobody is impressed by garbage pentatonic wanking and terrible power-chord metal anymore.

Learn some Govan like the other guy said, he's a real musician. Allan Holdsworth, Brett Garsed, Frank Gambale, those are all real musicians too. Some of the newer metal guys are really good too, Opeth, Ne Obliviscaris, Necrophagist, that's all worth learning too if you're into metal.

The world doesn't need any more crappy old-school rock/metal guitarists.
SkyValley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:37 PM   #7
TJHague

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Last Words
I really don't recommend analyzing Mustaine's playing, as his technique is quite unorthodox and even sloppy at times. Nothing wrong with analyzing their note choice ofcourse, if you want to sound like them. For technique-related stuff I'd rather analyse the playing of the top notch players like Guthrie Govan and the likes..

Apart from that, I think 3-4 years will get you there..

Just curious, what do you consider unorthodox or sloppy about Mustaine's technique? When I started playing 7 years ago I learned how he played borderline religiously. I have found that it provided a great jumping off point for me to learn more technical things.

That should be plenty of time to learn their techniques. I didn't have near that much time and I was playing like Hetfield and Mustaine after about a year and a half or two. Granted, I still didn't solo well, but I could do just about any of their rhythm parts you threw at me since that was the part of the songs that really inspired me.

If you can devote that much time to it and figure out what works for you on how to practice, you should be just fine.
TJHague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:44 PM   #8
Dynamight

1h of methodical practice > 4h of freestyle practice

Learn how to learn before you learn how to play. Learning by inspiration is great for keeping motivated, but it won't help you reach the desired level if you're not methodical and organized about it. Also, when it comes to practicing an instrument, less is more.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:45 PM   #9
TJHague

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyValley
Why would you want to sound like sloppy, wanky bullshit? Those guys are all old hat, their styles are overdone and overcooked. You might as well be learning Poison and Stryper and such, learning shit like that. Nobody is impressed by garbage pentatonic wanking and terrible power-chord metal anymore.

Learn some Govan like the other guy said, he's a real musician. Allan Holdsworth, Brett Garsed, Frank Gambale, those are all real musicians too. Some of the newer metal guys are really good too, Opeth, Ne Obliviscaris, Necrophagist, that's all worth learning too if you're into metal.

Dude, get off your pedestal and chill. He should learn what he enjoys, not what you deem to be 'real musicians'. Learning what they aren't interested in playing is the quickest way to turn someone off to guitar. If you don't want to listen to people playing that style, then don't listen. You don't have to degrade someone for having different tastes.

The bands he listed are far from 'pentatonic wanking'. There are some pretty impressive and imaginative riffs in their music. There are plenty of people still impressed by that music and that just enjoy the music. Enjoyment doesn't even require that they be impressed.

As I said before, play what you want to play and don't let anyone tell you any different. That's the most enjoyable and fulfilling way to do it.
TJHague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:52 PM   #10
My Last Words
Billions and billions!

Quote:
Just curious, what do you consider unorthodox or sloppy about Mustaine's technique? When I started playing 7 years ago I learned how he played borderline religiously. I have found that it provided a great jumping off point for me to learn more technical things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...buay4QdfQ#t=377

It's just that his normal tone is loaded with gain so you don't really hear his mishaps if you don't pay attention. He wrote some great solo's nonetheless. That's pure soloing though, on rhythm he's fantastic.

Quote:

First of all, I never said "learn some Govan" - I said learn from him - technique-wise. Also, about the whole pentatonic cliche, what's the point of saying that. He can listen to his stuff and you can listen to yours. Also, I sincerely doubt you were listening to Govan, Holdsworth or Necrophagist when you just started out playing guitar. (I'm just assuming TS just started playing here)

Last edited by My Last Words : 11-12-2013 at 12:56 PM.
My Last Words is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 01:18 PM   #11
Dynamight

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Last Words
It's just that his normal tone is loaded with gain so you don't really hear his mishaps if you don't pay attention.

Maybe when it comes to hand sync, but notes that bleed out will be louder thus more noticeable at high gain, so at least he's good at muting unused strings. Also, while I'd never consider Mustaine a model for accurate playing, I don't think a demo session at an age way past his prime is a good example of his potential.

That being said, slight sloppy playing isn't necessarily a bad thing. Accuracy is certainly impressive and harder to achieve, but some people actually get a better vibe out of that dirty, "human" sound rather than the robot sound guitarists like Petrucci might give off. Not that it's impossible to get the best of both worlds.

But yeah, just because you're inspired by them, musically, doesn't mean you have to learn their technique.
Old 11-12-2013, 01:43 PM   #12
Super-Peanut

This thread is turning into nothing more than a matter of opinion, therefor there is no right or wrong response and this will go on forever.

In my opinion

You should learn theory + Analyze songs you like at the same time. The big thing about analyzing songs I think it not only do you learn from example but you stay interested and get that feeling of reward and accomplishment when you nail that lick you think is totally awesome.

Then once you feel comfortable forget what everyone else is saying/doing, do what you think is awesome.

If all you want to do is play power chords and pentatonic licks because you think that sounds awesome then forget what everyone else is saying about it being lame and unoriginal. If you don't think that gives you enough colors in your palette to make the sounds you want, branch off into other scales/modes.

Learn theory + analyze songs you like as examples...after that you just gotta do you bro'

TBH after 3 years of practicing your tastes in music will probably shift a little too. When I first started playing I thought "if I can learn Blink-182's enema of the sate album (it was new at the time and I just picked up a guitar for the first time) that's all I need" I honestly can't remember when I last listened to that album.
Super-Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 01:54 PM   #13
5_Years_Dead
Banned

I don't even know who Govan is. Never listened. Never cared.

I'm a crappy old school rock/metal guitarist.

I love Slash, Mustaine , and Dime and find much inspiration from all three.

Playing the guitar is about enjoyment for me. I have the techniques down. I have the scales memorized. I can play fast, slow, and in between.

I get more enjoyment from a Motley or Guns record than I ever will from a Dream Theater album.

That's just me.

Last edited by 5_Years_Dead : 11-12-2013 at 01:57 PM.
5_Years_Dead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 02:01 PM   #14
Jmoarguitar
Given'r

Definitely enough time. However I think you will see yourself branch off into your own sound once you get comfortable enough with your playing, which is a good thing! Look at some of the techniques these guys use, try incorporating them since they are quite different, especially mustaine compared to slash and dime. If these guys are your favourites, I think you'll see it becomes less about "practicing 4 hours a day for 5 years to achieve this sound" and more having fun with it
Old 11-12-2013, 02:11 PM   #15
RCA1186
fb.com/centraldisorder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanbwags
God, you guys make me feel bad when you say "Is 4 hours a day enough?" Geez. It sucks getting older, I sometimes go a week without turning my amp on. Enjoy your many hours of free time now.
Also, Mustaine has been quoted several times saying he never practices. In fact, I heard him say it on the Megadeth Guitar Center Sessions.

Could not agree with this more, sometimes I'm lucky to even get 4 hours a week let alone a day.
+MORE

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

6505+|1960a (V30&G12t-75 "X")
RCA1186 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: