Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-26-2013, 01:30 PM   #1
hughesa1

How to get like this guy?

I have been on/off with guitar for the past two years. I started out with a ridiculous goal of mastering the instrument, or being able to do whatever I want. Not the greatest of goals. I tried to fit in everything in to my practice schedule (technique, songs, theory, perfect pitch, relative pitch) but I was bored and I haven't picked up the instrument for a few months.

Truth is, I think I just want to be like Alejandro Manzano, Boyce Avenue ([forbidden link]) and be able to do cover vesions of popular songs. I am a good singer I feel and so would want to sing of course too. So, I basucally just want to be like that guy in his videos. What I want to know is, what sort of goals should I set to be like that and what sort of things should I focus on in practice.
hughesa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:16 PM   #2
Aralingh
Intelligent person

Your solution is " ".

That is how you achieve your goal, but effort and time is necessary.
Aralingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:27 PM   #3
Lavatain
5150 III Enthusiast

You're aiming too high in one go. Make small goals to accomplish that will eventually lead into the bigger goal. Guitar playing is actually more fun this way, doing things in steps and you sound like you're capable of realising what little steps you may need.

Just don't set yourself huge goals is all I'm saying.
Lavatain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:24 PM   #4
Yabba Who

I had the same goal when I started 30 years ago. I figure I'm about 35% there.

And if you want to play like a specific player, then learn to play music by those that influenced him.
Yabba Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:19 AM   #5
sw4l

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavatain
You're aiming too high in one go. Make small goals to accomplish that will eventually lead into the bigger goal. Guitar playing is actually more fun this way, doing things in steps and you sound like you're capable of realising what little steps you may need.

Just don't set yourself huge goals is all I'm saying.

i agree with this, you would be amazed at just focusing on getting the basics down will have on your playing. shooting for a goal that's too far to reach in a short amount of time will lead to sloppy technique and a plateau that makes you feel stuck. just slow down make your basic techniques perfect.
sw4l is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: