Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Singing & Vocals
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-22-2014, 10:22 PM   #4661
merriman44

Yes, but not intentionally. He is doing a cover and left the original vocals in the track. You can hear it plain as day in headphones.
merriman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 10:24 PM   #4662
merriman44

He is also cupping the mic with the side of his hand. That's going to give you some nice flubbery, gross undertones.

EDITL: Read the comments Kimino, he layered his voice thrice. Also, he has removed his vocals from the video part. So it's just him essentially lip syncing (although he wasn't he just killed that track), and the three layered vocals playing in time with his face for the most part.

Kind of cheating, but hey, it's the interwebz.

Last edited by merriman44 : 09-22-2014 at 10:27 PM.
Old 09-22-2014, 10:57 PM   #4663
Kimino394

Aaaah, I see.. Thank you. That did NOT sound human to me. Can't effectively test cupping my mic since it's not the type you can hold properly. I can test out the layering thing though. Not really a fan of doing it, but hey-If it can help me achieve something, right? :3

It IS the interwebs.
Kimino394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 11:34 AM   #4664
merriman44

Kimino, for the record, most every one at least double tracks. You have to be good at having the exact same delivery or it starts to sound like chorus, but if you can do it, that's how many folks get that wall of sound. This is where a lot of perceived power comes from.

So in a regular recording, it's nearly expected.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:17 PM   #4665
Kimino394

That so? Well, after testing it, I do NOT have that timing. However: I feel my vocals are fairly powerful already, so it's all good. Still irritated that I can't get lows though.
Anyway. I figured something out that I think sounds cool .
Old 09-23-2014, 08:01 PM   #4666
gorkyporky
I like pie.

Well, i demoed a new song for our band, and i figured you guys could give it a listen to give me some more pointers. Anyway, i find that i can scream for longer periods of time without bad effects, and i dont have nearly as much problems finding my sweet spot anymore. Yay! I do however notice that when either run out of air or simply slip out of the scream, i actually slip into falsetto. Even a lot of screams sound "fallsetoiy", and i have to be really careful that they dont sound to high. I also have problems getting enough distortion. I actually had to push a few times on this recording, because i couldnt get enough grit into it. And i also sometimes have problems with runing out of air. How can a fix that? And to be honest i still dont know what the **** im doing, false cord or fry. I dont feel anything in my throat when im doing it properly (in a way that doesnt hurt) and i feel the vibrations in the roof of my mouth. Is that fry? But anyway, without further ado, here is the track. Dont mind the clean parts, they will have to be changed since they suck at this point.

https://soundcloud.com/gorkyporky/dreaming-of-red
Old 09-23-2014, 09:54 PM   #4667
shellac5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimino394
That so? Well, after testing it, I do NOT have that timing.

Follow the drums buddy
shellac5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 10:22 PM   #4668
carlosp_gd14

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onK-chNQCoc

Can anyone tell me which technique does this vocalist uses? is more or less the sound i'm looking for in my vocals
carlosp_gd14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 08:23 AM   #4669
Kimino394

@GorkyPorky: Clip

@shellac5: Thanks. I think what I meant was misinterpreted though.
Layering

@carlosp_gd14: It sounds to me like a fry scream with a lot of voice. You'll more than likely have to learn a regular old demonic-sounding fry before you'll be able to do it though. Good luck, and keep us posted

Last edited by Kimino394 : 09-24-2014 at 12:14 PM.
Old 09-24-2014, 07:10 PM   #4670
carlosp_gd14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimino394
@GorkyPorky: Clip

@shellac5: Thanks. I think what I meant was misinterpreted though.
Layering

@carlosp_gd14: It sounds to me like a fry scream with a lot of voice. You'll more than likely have to learn a regular old demonic-sounding fry before you'll be able to do it though. Good luck, and keep us posted

How do i get my voice and the fry mixed together? thats the difficult part for me, i can yell and i can do fry but not both, got any tips?
carlosp_gd14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 07:21 PM   #4671
gorkyporky
I like pie.

From what im hearing he isnt really mixing his normal voice with the fry, he is just letting it slip into falsetto. I actually have problems getting rid of this sound.
Old 09-24-2014, 07:24 PM   #4672
shellac5

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosp_gd14
How do i get my voice and the fry mixed together? thats the difficult part for me, i can yell and i can do fry but not both, got any tips?

Hold that compression you use when you do the fry sound then just yell with your real voice. If you can't get the hang of it, try speaking with the fry sound so you have your real voice under it and the fry sound on top. Then it's just a matter of adding more breath pressure to give it power.
shellac5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 02:49 AM   #4673
Kimino394

I'm back with another question. I think it's a little bit more.. Technical than my usual ones. ..Like, basically, you'd really actually have to KNOW your harsh vocals to be able to give an answer to this one. Atleast that's what I think.

Okay, so all over the internet the general consensus is that "False Chord" vocals are generally better for the lower range, and are the best for getting an "inhuman" sound to them. Someone trying to sound like an absolute monster should be using false chords, while someone trying to sound more like a human, screeching, should be using the "Fry" technique. (Remember, this is not my opinion. This is what I've been reading. Whether it's true or not, I have NO idea)

I'm able to, quite easily, do what I'm told is the false chord technique, however I'm able to hit my highs just as easily as my mids, and my lows? Well.. One, they're not that much lower than my mids, and two, after I've done three or four "low" growls, I lose the ability to sing or talk in my falsetto voice for a solid hour. And my regular singing plummets.
Also, I've never achieved that "Inhuman" sound. I'm not particularly worried about that part though, as I'm able to emulate it via a little bit of vocal editing. I'd rather not have to, but I'm fine with doing it, for now.

SO! My question. ASSUMING that everyone is correct and I'm doing false chord, if I now suddenly had a metal miracle overtake me and I learned how to fry as well as I false chord out of no-where, would my highs just be even better (Though, honestly, my highs are EXACTLY where I want them. EXACTLY), and my whole range even LESS animilistic than my current range? Or is it possible that what happens for most people's false chords would happen for my frys, and vice versa?
And when I say possible, I don't mean, "Is it at ALL possible? Plz help" I mean, "Do you believe that it is LIKELY?"

I understand that everyone has their own sound, and ultimately there is no way getting around that. But I NEED to find a way to produce lows properly, as I do not really see my vocals going anywhere or doing anything cool without proper lows.
Sorry about the long post, and I hope someone can give me some clarification.
Old 09-28-2014, 11:00 PM   #4674
shinderhizzle84
Blood is Life...

So it's been a damn long time since I've been by here, old friends. And I've got some baaad news.

About a year ago or so I got diagnosed with a very minor case of asthmatic allergies, and only until recently did I find treatment that managed to make 90% of my respiratory issues go away. I still get the occasional sniffle and stuffy nose attack, but I'm basically fine at this point.

Recently I started trying to scream again, but it's all gone. All of my 6+ years of hard work of teaching myself to have a beastly voice with lots of muscle memory and strength is all gone. I can't do the heavy sigh technique without my voice cracking or fading, I even struggle to achieve vocal fry. I was afraid that maybe I had vocal nodes or something so I googled a bunch of self-diagnosis exercises, but everything I've read online seems to indicate that I'm fine.

My two questions are:

1) Anyone got any good warmups they can send me? I used to always use a few select exercises from the Melissa Cross CD (there are a few on that disc that are easy to figure out and really good at raising the palate and warming up for false chord vocals as well as fry vocals) but I can't get through 5 or 6 minutes of that without my voice already getting tired and strained.

2) Any good material out there that you guys liked to learn from for more false chord techniques? I'm really upset that I can't really reach back to my false chords anymore, and I'm looking for more videos/clips to help me get back to them.

Thanks brochachos!
shinderhizzle84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:13 AM   #4675
merriman44

Kimino: Apples and oranges and you can't know without actually doing it. You see, none of the techniques sound the same as someone else unless you want them too (read: modeled directly after). The fact of the matter is, you have to put the time in and learn fry if you want to know, or just stick with false cord and improve it.

The statement that lows are easiest with false cord and fry has better highs is just silly. It depends on the tonality you want. I have a high fry and a false cord high. One is beastly and raw, the other closer to a grungy power metal singer.
Your highs may sound like weak shit with fry or they may sound more human. Who knows. From some, fry is just as irritating as well. I guess all I'm saying is the question is the wrong one to ask. Instead ask, what can I do to get where I want to be?

Shinder: I'm truly sorry to hear that. . I bet you'll make those neuro connections much faster this time and get back to being your demonic self. My warm-ups are scales of bubbles, hums, pursed lip zz and relaxation techniques.

You may get something out of the new Strain videos on youtube. He does a lot of fry stuff and it wasn't helpful at all for me but his false cord material is good IIRC.

Goodluck mate
Old Yesterday, 05:57 PM   #4676
shinderhizzle84
Blood is Life...

Thanks man. To be honest, I'm not really sure what to do... I definitely feel like I'm having some sort of throat problem. When I whisper-scream (meaning I'm just whispering quietly to myself but sort of in the sound of a screamer) my voice gets exceptionally scratchy. I can't do false chord without my voice sounding really scratchy or my scream shaking/faltering. I don't think I have vocal nodes because everyone says my voice would be hoarse, but it's not, it's just weak and scratchy when I try to scream (and sometimes when I try to sing outside of my comfortable range). I don't really know what to do, because it's freaking me out. I can't transition from a clean note to a vocal fry, which is something I've always been able to do. If I want to fry, I can fry no problem, but I can't transition between the two, my voice always scratches and temporarily cuts out until I can find fry on the fly (try saying that three times fast).

When I last regularly screamed a year ago or so I wasn't having any of these problems, but now, whenever I scream, even if it's for just 5 or 10 minutes, I feel very sore afterwards. I can still sing and talk fine, and there's no sharp sensation, and usually the soreness goes away the next day/in several hours, but still, that's not something I'm used to experiencing, and neither is the scratchiness.

Here's a sample of one of my recorded screams from last night after about a 10 minute warmup. You'll notice it's really, really rough, not just at the end with that transition to my highs, but also at a part in the middle, it gets like, oddly flanged or something, and that's not an effect, that's just my voice giving way or something. It felt really scratchy when it happened.

http://1drv.ms/1rCkuw6
Old Yesterday, 06:15 PM   #4677
merriman44

Shinder! Dude, you are describing EXACTLY the problems that all new screamers deal with.

I'm actually excited about this. I really think you just need to keep practicing and give it time.

I'd say, chill out and give yourself a couple of months. My guess is that you'll be good to go again. Your throat has just lost some of that muscle coordination to maneuver the cords that specific way.

Just my thoughts, old colleague. I do hope your back at it soon.
Old Yesterday, 08:22 PM   #4678
shinderhizzle84
Blood is Life...

Quote:
Originally Posted by merriman44
Shinder! Dude, you are describing EXACTLY the problems that all new screamers deal with.

I'm actually excited about this. I really think you just need to keep practicing and give it time.

I'd say, chill out and give yourself a couple of months. My guess is that you'll be good to go again. Your throat has just lost some of that muscle coordination to maneuver the cords that specific way.

Just my thoughts, old colleague. I do hope your back at it soon.

Alright, cool. Thanks for the words of encouragement. I didn't remember having these problems the last time I taught myself, so I was getting a little worried that something bad had happened.

I'll keep plugging away, try to practice at least once a day, see where that takes me. I was gonna record some new demo stuff for a new Haemic album, but I'll tell my partner that I'll probably need a few more weeks of constant rehearsing to get back into tip top shape.
Old Today, 09:39 AM   #4679
gorkyporky
I like pie.

Damnit merriman, you cant come here after all this time and not comment on my questions

Rate This Thread: