Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-24-2013, 08:33 AM   #1
sundar334

Guitar Pratise Realted Question

Hi, i am a beginner n i am following the Hal Leonard Guitar Method to learn guitar and i wanted to know how often do i have to keep practising the same lesson? i mean do i have the practise the same lesson everyday even though i play it correctly and accurately as per the book? because its taking me close to 2.5 hours to complete what all i have learnt so far from the book. I practise everything i have been learning from day1 everyday. Please help
cheers!
sundar334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:48 AM   #2
MaaZeus

If you can nail the thing 100% of the time then there is no point doing it over and over. Dont practice what you can do, practice what you CANNOT do! (shameless Justin Sandercoe ripoff )

Also start to practice songs. Lessons are fine for helping you to develop proper technique, but the point of guitar is to play songs, not run scales till your face turns blue. Search accurate tabs for your favourite songs and start practising them slowly. Put what you have learned into use!

Oh, and buy a metronome or get a metronome app for your smartphone if you have one, to keep you in correct pace as you practice songs.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Peavey Valveking 100 MESA MOD
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3

Last edited by MaaZeus : 04-24-2013 at 08:54 AM.
MaaZeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:54 AM   #3
ElliottJeffries

Practicing is a little different than perfecting. It's more about learning and some things can take a long time to master. The thing is to practice consistently, this will be just as important as what to practice. You don't have to practice more than an hour a day, some recommend not practicing more than 2 hours to save your hand from damage. You should be able to play each lesson accurately, even if it's slowly. Once you can do that you can move on. You will come back to the lessons you feel are important. Speed will only develop over time but you have to be consistent. You could break up your lessons into 10 minute segments, 5 lessons as an example, stick with those 5 lessons at 10 minutes each for a week or two. Then move on to another 5 lessons. Using a timer is extremely helpful to manage the time you spend on each lesson.
ElliottJeffries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:34 AM   #4
sundar334

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaaZeus
If you can nail the thing 100% of the time then there is no point doing it over and over. Dont practice what you can do, practice what you CANNOT do! (shameless Justin Sandercoe ripoff )

Also start to practice songs. Lessons are fine for helping you to develop proper technique, but the point of guitar is to play songs, not run scales till your face turns blue. Search accurate tabs for your favourite songs and start practising them slowly. Put what you have learned into use!

Oh, and buy a metronome or get a metronome app for your smartphone if you have one, to keep you in correct pace as you practice songs.

Thanks man yes since the day i started learning i have been using the metronome and ya its about time i started learning a few songs
Old 04-24-2013, 09:36 AM   #5
sundar334

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElliottJeffries
Practicing is a little different than perfecting. It's more about learning and some things can take a long time to master. The thing is to practice consistently, this will be just as important as what to practice. You don't have to practice more than an hour a day, some recommend not practicing more than 2 hours to save your hand from damage. You should be able to play each lesson accurately, even if it's slowly. Once you can do that you can move on. You will come back to the lessons you feel are important. Speed will only develop over time but you have to be consistent. You could break up your lessons into 10 minute segments, 5 lessons as an example, stick with those 5 lessons at 10 minutes each for a week or two. Then move on to another 5 lessons. Using a timer is extremely helpful to manage the time you spend on each lesson.

Thanks man
Old 04-24-2013, 07:20 PM   #6
cdgraves

Practice until you can do it flawlessly without preparing yourself, then move on. Revisit old lessons to keep the material fresh.

You can also expand any single lesson by trying exercises in different keys, on different strings, faster/slower... Once you've mastered a lesson play with variations on it to test your understanding of the concept (not just the finger positions!). Practice singing the exercises with the guitar, too.

The most important thing is that you play every day, so if you really have nothing else to practice, then definitely do practice the lesson again until you're assigned something new. Even once you know something or can do it well, it won't hurt to really drive those sounds and techniques into your ears and fingers. The stuff you spend the most time doing will become the foundation of your musical vocabulary.
cdgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:38 PM   #7
sundar334

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgraves
Practice until you can do it flawlessly without preparing yourself, then move on. Revisit old lessons to keep the material fresh.

You can also expand any single lesson by trying exercises in different keys, on different strings, faster/slower... Once you've mastered a lesson play with variations on it to test your understanding of the concept (not just the finger positions!). Practice singing the exercises with the guitar, too.

The most important thing is that you play every day, so if you really have nothing else to practice, then definitely do practice the lesson again until you're assigned something new. Even once you know something or can do it well, it won't hurt to really drive those sounds and techniques into your ears and fingers. The stuff you spend the most time doing will become the foundation of your musical vocabulary.

Thanks for the suggestion, will keep it in mind when practising

Rate This Thread: