Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-28-2013, 07:24 PM   #1
MadAudioMan

Mesa MkIII, purple stripe 60w, not simulclass, no reverb for $500 (good deal?)

I found one as described in my local newspaper ads oddly enough, it is in 100% working condition and all parts/tubes/speakers are stock. It had a check up by the local guitar shop (reliable people) 4 months ago after sitting unused for 5+ years, since then the owner said it's seen 30-40 hours of low/moderate volume playing. Nothing above 3ish on the master volume.

I'm probably going to buy it because it's got ****ing swag, I'm more curious as to whether or not it'll keep/raise in value. Very minor tolex wear according to the ad.

That's a picture of it, found it on craigslist after a bit of searching.

Last edited by MadAudioMan : 03-28-2013 at 07:29 PM.
MadAudioMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:40 PM   #2
ragingkitty
meow?

Go have an extended test of the amp 20 ~ 30 minutes, and it all checks out, I think tis a good deal. I can't if the MkIII with a reverb and 5 band EQ is one of the more common or rarer configurations. I do know that there are Mk III (or it could be MkII, I can't recall at all) without the 5 band EQs, and these are reputed to sound livelier.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
ragingkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:07 PM   #3
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

It depends on where you live. In Australia it would be worth $500 if it was missing its tubes and output transformer.
Roland GP-8
Quadraverb
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:36 AM   #4
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

That guy is in Portland. I spoke with him on the phone. He had two when I talked with him. Seems legit.

It got usage over the years but is in good shape. It would probably needs a recap and maybe new tubes. He said they had been replaced 5 years ago IIRC(tubes).

I passed only as I live in Cali and already had 3 amps to take home with me.

Make sure you play it first. It may not be the right amp for you.
R45VT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:59 AM   #5
MESAexplorer
Spider Pig

Judging by the pictures it's not too scuffed up, but it would be easier to tell in person. Look for any big cuts or tears in the tolex. It's not hard to rip the stuff, but generally it does show you've transported it or been rough to it at some point. This might suggest internal damage, which is pretty unlikely.

If the tubes have only seen 30-40 hours of use, you should have another two or three years of use out of them. I used to play 20-40 hours a month and my tube amps would need new tubes after 1-3 years.

If all that checks out just fine, the Mark III is a great amp and for $500 that's a good deal. I've seen them as low as $425 but usually in much worse condition.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
MESAexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:48 AM   #6
Reincaster
Call me Rein.

I think the purple stripes are fine amps, and that's a good deal. I have a blue stripe, which is awesome, and super agressive.
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Reincaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:04 AM   #7
LaidBack
Call me Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reincaster
I think the purple stripes are fine amps, and that's a good deal. I have a blue stripe, which is awesome, and super agressive.

That might not be a purple stripe...just that we can see through the faceplate to the purple wall behind it
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
LaidBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:08 AM   #8
tubetime86
I don't even play guitar.

It's got swag? I'd probably rub it down with some bleach or at least Lysol to try to get that swag smell off.
Originally Posted by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
tubetime86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:09 PM   #9
bowen
Found yourself

What stripe is the amp? Mark III's range in value and tone characteristics by what colour the stripe is. I'm not an expert, but here's a link explaining the differences.

Mark III Stripes
bowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:36 AM   #10
Reincaster
Call me Rein.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaidBack
That might not be a purple stripe...just that we can see through the faceplate to the purple wall behind it

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/msg/3693179982.html

It's described as a purple stripe. Not clear in the pics of the rear, but that's what it's described as. Purple wall may just be a coincidence.
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Old 03-31-2013, 05:50 AM   #11
MadAudioMan

Oh yeah, forgot to update this...

Well I went to check this thing out and I didn't like it too much. Maybe it was the typical "you can't dial in a mesa mark in an hour" kind of thing, but I wasn't feeling it.

While I was in portland I did pick up a Mesa Tremoverb head though, $700 out the door after some haggling. Though I only had $500 cash on me, so I took the head minus the tubes back home with me as collateral, seems weird in retrospect, but the owner of this amp was seriously weird, not someone I'd want to meet at their house again.

Gonna grab a 2x12 of some sort next paycheck. Right now my only "cab" is my super old crate v18, which might explode if I plugged the mesa into it.

edit : and I did dial in the tremoverb in under an hour. in fact the owner's current clean/crunch/lead sounds were all amazing.
MadAudioMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:51 AM   #12
Eppicurt
Don't even like pedals.

Pics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Eppicurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:17 AM   #13
Reincaster
Call me Rein.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadAudioMan

Well I went to check this thing out and I didn't like it too much. Maybe it was the typical "you can't dial in a mesa mark in an hour" kind of thing, but I wasn't feeling it.

While I was in portland I did pick up a Mesa Tremoverb head though, $700 out the door after some haggling. Though I only had $500 cash on me, so I took the head minus the tubes back home with me as collateral, seems weird in retrospect, but the owner of this amp was seriously weird, not someone I'd want to meet at their house again.

Gonna grab a 2x12 of some sort next paycheck. Right now my only "cab" is my super old crate v18, which might explode if I plugged the mesa into it.

edit : and I did dial in the tremoverb in under an hour. in fact the owner's current clean/crunch/lead sounds were all amazing.

With Marks and Rectifiers, it's usually a love it/hate it situation. And even deeper than that, the Mark III is probably the most dividing of mesa amps, haha.
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Old 03-31-2013, 08:51 AM   #14
ragingkitty
meow?

Pics or it's an MG

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
ragingkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:33 PM   #15
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadAudioMan

Was that the cloth face plate head?

That guy seemed freaking weird...

Pic or its an MG .
R45VT is online now   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: