Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-06-2013, 04:02 PM   #1
D.R.22

Holding the Pick

Hey guys I've noticed that I hold my pick with three fingers instead of the "traditional" two and I've also noticed that I struggle to play cleanly ( when bending strings or playing fast ). Could this be the reason and if so how do I go about breaking that "bad habit"?

Thanks!
D.R.22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 04:46 PM   #2
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.22
Hey guys I've noticed that I hold my pick with three fingers instead of the "traditional" two and I've also noticed that I struggle to play cleanly ( when bending strings or playing fast ). Could this be the reason and if so how do I go about breaking that "bad habit"?

Thanks!

The two things aren't necessarily linked but I still think you should switch to a two-fingered grip instead, having the second finger free opens up a lot of options for tapping and hybrid picking.

I think the reason you lack clarity is a lack of good practice though, not because of your grip on the pick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven seagull
Zaphod wins...flawless victory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freepower
Another flawless victory for Zaph!

Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:03 PM   #3
Smudgee

The lack of clarity is likely down to the way you practice, though that being said, trying a different grip won't hurt, and you might find that it does indeed work.
As was said, using the traditional two fingered grip leaves you a finger free for tapping and such.
Old 07-06-2013, 05:23 PM   #4
D.R.22

I've worked on it today & I find that picking notes & playing solos is easier with the traditional two finger grip, for some reason it makes it easier to mute the unwanted string buzz and so on but for the strumming part I it easier with the three finger grip because the pick moves around and spins ?
D.R.22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:45 PM   #5
Kaseke

James Hethfield is one of the most known three finger style pickers There's nothing wrong with it, it's just not used due to the fact that using just 2 give you more variety.
Kaseke is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: