Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 01-19-2014, 10:50 PM   #281
Ogmor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Hi everyone
I own a blue tolex BV120 (with a gold logo and the normal trype writings on it), I really love its tone since I changed the preamp tubes with JJs, and I can't wait to put some 6l6 JJs in the power section, since the old ones are worn out.
However, there is one thing that concerns me, it's that my gain chanel has twice less power than the clean one. No complain about the clean channel: it's bright, warl, plenty of headroom. The sound of the gain channel is warm as well, but I just need to push it like a LOT, and I can barely keep up with my other guitar player. his Laney has its volume set on 2 and half, mine is on 6, and it is loud, but still sounds "thin". I don't want to have to push it louder, since I figure it's gonna work on the tubes harder, and anyway, there is something wrong here, since I can set my clean channel on 2 and half as well and have enough volume.
So does anyone know of any mod that solves this headroom pb on the gain channel? (I won't be doing them myself, I'll just give the instructions to someone who can mess with it!).
Thanks!
Ogmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:45 PM   #282
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Traffic Town LA
It's the style of the volume pot. It's different than the clean channels volume. When I redid one of my amps I actually changed it to a linear taper instead of the audio taper.

It drove me nuts as well and I thought something was wrong with it.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 12:46 AM   #283
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals
 
trashedlostfdup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: deep south
Quote:
Originally Posted by R45VT
It's the style of the volume pot. It's different than the clean channels volume. When I redid one of my amps I actually changed it to a linear taper instead of the audio taper.

It drove me nuts as well and I thought something was wrong with it.


i did the front page mods to mine, a lot of thanks for R45VT for help.

and i was thinking goddamn what did i mess on the OD channel?

same deal. nothings wrong. but is scary for a minute or two, especially after modding and thinking you messed something up.
__________________
FRYETTE SIG-X
SPLAWN KT88 NITRO
SPLAWN KT88 PROMOD
MESA TREM-O-VERB
MESA MKIV...

Ibanez Prestiges
Gibsons
and Wolfgangs

WTLT
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 09:00 PM   #284
Pwell
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Hi, I think this is THE place for BV-120H's questions !

I Bias my tubes today and I see that fuses F4 et F5 are dead. F1 and F2 are good. What is the function of these fuses ?

Last week, I bias, but with no load and a Power Tube (6L6GC) was broken !

I change this one by an old tube. I know the 3 others are scrap, but OK for now. Today I tried it with a 8 Ohms little Crate cab for the Bias.

I played guitar and sound good !

Second question: what do you prefer between 6L6GC and 6550 (proposition in the manual). I always used 6L6GC. I play Thrash Metal.

I wish my english is enough good for you !
Pwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:36 AM   #285
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Traffic Town LA
Hi Pwell, Welcome to UG.

F4 an F5 are power tube fuses. It means those powertubes were defective. Replace the fuses and powertubes.




I never tried 6550's, they are VERY large and might contact the reverb tank.

6L6 is just fine for thrash
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 01:47 AM   #286
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals
 
trashedlostfdup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: deep south
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwell
Hi, I think this is THE place for BV-120H's questions !

I Bias my tubes today and I see that fuses F4 et F5 are dead. F1 and F2 are good. What is the function of these fuses ?

Last week, I bias, but with no load and a Power Tube (6L6GC) was broken !

I change this one by an old tube. I know the 3 others are scrap, but OK for now. Today I tried it with a 8 Ohms little Crate cab for the Bias.

I played guitar and sound good !

Second question: what do you prefer between 6L6GC and 6550 (proposition in the manual). I always used 6L6GC. I play Thrash Metal.

I wish my english is enough good for you !


also you can run half power, just run the two inner tubes. HALF TUBE = HALF OHMS. just make sure you have a cab it will match

i ran my 120 at 60 watts with just the center two power tubes, still working.
__________________
FRYETTE SIG-X
SPLAWN KT88 NITRO
SPLAWN KT88 PROMOD
MESA TREM-O-VERB
MESA MKIV...

Ibanez Prestiges
Gibsons
and Wolfgangs

WTLT

Last edited by trashedlostfdup : 01-27-2014 at 03:43 PM.
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 02:33 PM   #287
Pwell
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Thanks a lot for the informations !
Pwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 04:27 AM   #288
d.greenwell21
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Hey everyone, I'm new here and new to tube amps all together. I recently purchased a Crate BV120H Its the black one with the cartoonish lettering. Overall I really like the distortion channel, minus the high end fizzy sound. 1)-Is there a way to smooth out the sound a little to get rid of that high fizzyness? I notice as well that on the distortion channel the volume sounds best around 4-5, anything over that and it seems to lose the feel and almost seems like it loses a lot of gain. 2)-Is that normal or is there a way to fix that? 3)-Also I notice that on the clean channel its very easy to pick too hard and you get this huge icepick in the ear type of quality, and the clean channel starts to break up. There is staticy sound when rolling some of the knobs, and also when the volume is all the way down on 0 on the distortion channel some sound still comes through. ANy help is much appreciated. Thanks alot.
d.greenwell21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:17 AM   #289
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Traffic Town LA
First off- the sound coming through with the volume down is normal.

The static noise when turning the knobs means the potentiometers are dirty. If you ever open the amp you can try compressed air to clean them. Most likely you will have to live with it or replace the pots.

The ice picky quality of the clean channel is fairly normal- try turning up the reverb to help a little. You can also turn down your tone knob on your guitar to help a little.

As far as the clean channel breaking up and gain dropping off I think you should probably do a full retube. If you buy JJ's it will help with the high end fizz. It sounds like your headroom dropped off. The tubes are probably worn out. Replace them all.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:21 PM   #290
d.greenwell21
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
thanks alot for the quick response. i will get jj tubes all around for the power and the pre amp section. i play modern hard rock, metal, and blues. i hope this will improve the sound. i opened the cabinet up, on the front it says celestion loaded. there are 4 celestion seventy/80's in there. i cant find much info on these speakers online. are there any other things to be done to this amp to get it into this modern rock sound?
d.greenwell21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 03:56 PM   #291
wasted-years
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
i recently got a bv60h at a pawn shop ........ there is sound and no real problems but the light behind one of the power tubes dosnt come on ........ i took it to get looked at and they told me to get new power tubes ....... got the bias checked and got the right ones ..... changed them out but the light is still out ......... no other problems i just read that could mean other problems any help is appriciated ....... and please put it in barney terms im new to tubes
wasted-years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:01 PM   #292
Arby911
Finding the Pattern
 
Arby911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasted-years
i recently got a bv60h at a pawn shop ........ there is sound and no real problems but the light behind one of the power tubes dosnt come on ........ i took it to get looked at and they told me to get new power tubes ....... got the bias checked and got the right ones ..... changed them out but the light is still out ......... no other problems i just read that could mean other problems any help is appriciated ....... and please put it in barney terms im new to tubes


Um...if it works...it works.

Don't create problems in your mind that don't exist in the real world.
__________________
The man who holds to a belief because of tradition, or hides it because he fears he may be shown to be wrong, does not love the truth but manifests a coward’s faithfulness to his prejudices.
Arby911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:17 PM   #293
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Traffic Town LA
Are you talking about the lights behind the tubes? You can buy and replace them separately. If you switch the bulb from one tube to the other and the problem stays with the bulb it is just a burnt out bulb.

I picked up a few from tube depot.

https://www.tubedepot.com/products/number-47-pilot-lamp
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.

Last edited by R45VT : 02-26-2014 at 09:20 PM.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:51 PM   #294
Hectorhammet
Registered User
 
Hectorhammet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Excelent thread! I got one, but the tone of the amp... isn't very good, it sounds without any punch, and has a lot of high frequencies. I have to run a digitech artist 2120 through as an eq and an overdrive in front. But i've seen that a lot of people make it sound really good without anything on the fx loop so, i wanna know that if changing only the tubes, can really improve the sound? I play a lot of stuff, i play from grunge, to thrash, to classic rock and 90's girly rock haha like Garbage, so i usually try to use a distortion that fits most of my needs, but, if i had to say a tone that i like, it's a thrashy one, and work from there. Also if you guys think that i should replace the tubes, which ones are the best?. Also, if you think that i need to mod it in order to have a great sound, i know about electronics and soldering, so i could do it myself BUT i live in Mexico, so calling for crate maybe it isn't my best option to replace the pots. :c. Thanks guys! This thread it's pretty neat!
Hectorhammet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 12:15 AM   #295
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals
 
trashedlostfdup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: deep south
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hectorhammet
Excelent thread! I got one, but the tone of the amp... isn't very good, it sounds without any punch, and has a lot of high frequencies. I have to run a digitech artist 2120 through as an eq and an overdrive in front. But i've seen that a lot of people make it sound really good without anything on the fx loop so, i wanna know that if changing only the tubes, can really improve the sound? I play a lot of stuff, i play from grunge, to thrash, to classic rock and 90's girly rock haha like Garbage, so i usually try to use a distortion that fits most of my needs, but, if i had to say a tone that i like, it's a thrashy one, and work from there. Also if you guys think that i should replace the tubes, which ones are the best?. Also, if you think that i need to mod it in order to have a great sound, i know about electronics and soldering, so i could do it myself BUT i live in Mexico, so calling for crate maybe it isn't my best option to replace the pots. :c. Thanks guys! This thread it's pretty neat!


get some new preamp tubes, i would just go JJ accross with all12ax7's with a 12at7, for v1 or phase inverter. it would let it breathe better.

i did the mods on it on the front page and it sounds MUCH better, but a bit trebley still though. an EQ in the loop would be the best, pull out some trebel and adjust bass and mids to taste.
__________________
FRYETTE SIG-X
SPLAWN KT88 NITRO
SPLAWN KT88 PROMOD
MESA TREM-O-VERB
MESA MKIV...

Ibanez Prestiges
Gibsons
and Wolfgangs

WTLT
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 12:20 AM   #296
Hectorhammet
Registered User
 
Hectorhammet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Would be necesary to change the power tubes as well?. Also, the mods that you say, it needs the pots, right? I Could try to get them, i live near by the border, but it isnt like the fastest way to gather the materials. Or the mods without the pot change, work ok?
Hectorhammet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 12:28 AM   #297
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals
 
trashedlostfdup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: deep south
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hectorhammet
Would be necesary to change the power tubes as well?. Also, the mods that you say, it needs the pots, right? I Could try to get them, i live near by the border, but it isnt like the fastest way to gather the materials. Or the mods without the pot change, work ok?


its optional to some degree. if you see red plating (you would see it) shut it off as fast as you can. then new power tubes, but they shouldn't make it that far. if you start getting volume drops or volume changes, it is time. but if they are fine as long as they are not origionals i personally would not. if you want you can and always have the old tubes as backups.

factory V30?

i have so many amps, that i have plenty of spares for just about everything except for el34's.
__________________
FRYETTE SIG-X
SPLAWN KT88 NITRO
SPLAWN KT88 PROMOD
MESA TREM-O-VERB
MESA MKIV...

Ibanez Prestiges
Gibsons
and Wolfgangs

WTLT
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 12:39 AM   #298
Hectorhammet
Registered User
 
Hectorhammet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by trashedlostfdup
its optional to some degree. if you see red plating (you would see it) shut it off as fast as you can. then new power tubes, but they shouldn't make it that far. if you start getting volume drops or volume changes, it is time. but if they are fine as long as they are not origionals i personally would not. if you want you can and always have the old tubes as backups.

factory V30?

i have so many amps, that i have plenty of spares for just about everything except for el34's.


It's a BV-120h, this one: http://www.voodooamps.com/home/portals/0/Images/cratebluevoodoo.jpg.
To tell you the truth, it's not the best sounding amp without all the stuff that i put it through, it sounds wihout ANY punch, and i play rock so i need some punch. I run it through a b-52 cab, and a Ibanes with EMG's, also i got a Dave Mustaine dean, which i gotta say, i JUST got that guitar a week ago, not because i am a huge fan of Mustaine, instead because it was SO CHEAP on guitar Center Outlet, 160 bucks only! Haha. I'm not really sure if it has the stock tubes... if that's the case... this things needs a replacement now haha.
Hectorhammet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 01:07 AM   #299
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals
 
trashedlostfdup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: deep south
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hectorhammet
It's a BV-120h, this one: http://www.voodooamps.com/home/port...ebluevoodoo.jpg.
To tell you the truth, it's not the best sounding amp without all the stuff that i put it through, it sounds wihout ANY punch, and i play rock so i need some punch. I run it through a b-52 cab, and a Ibanes with EMG's, also i got a Dave Mustaine dean, which i gotta say, i JUST got that guitar a week ago, not because i am a huge fan of Mustaine, instead because it was SO CHEAP on guitar Center Outlet, 160 bucks only! Haha. I'm not really sure if it has the stock tubes... if that's the case... this things needs a replacement now haha.


i opened her up resoldered some joints and swapped out resistors and caps and cut some things out, etc. makes a difference. its not great.

to be honest, mine is 6 feet high in my closet with the tubes pulled out to use those power tubes into another amp as well as a few others. everything came to me w/JJ's fresh tubes all over he gave me the receipt. what do you expect for $175? i expected shit. and i modded, still isn't that great. i have several amps up there now.
__________________
FRYETTE SIG-X
SPLAWN KT88 NITRO
SPLAWN KT88 PROMOD
MESA TREM-O-VERB
MESA MKIV...

Ibanez Prestiges
Gibsons
and Wolfgangs

WTLT
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 02:21 AM   #300
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Traffic Town LA
They are trebly amps for sure. Presence needs to be nearly all the ways down.

They lack bass oomph. Even with the mods bass isn't huge like a 6505. The mods made it into more of an early thrash sounding amp.

I got sick of the last one I had and built a completely different preamp into it. It wasn't a mod meant to last...shit was stacked up. No noise.

Best to run your Digitech into FX return and bypass the preamp. Cheapest way.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:34 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.