Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-05-2013, 06:34 PM   #641
Hunter2081

I've been viewing this thread for far too long without contributing to it!!

Here's a made in korea (unsung, 2000) epiphone explorer that I recently repainted. I bought it cheap as the person who owned it origionaly tried to strip the paint on the top and sides, and stain it. He only achieved a horrible look; it looked like he smeared marmite all over the guitar, and he left the remover on too long, burning the wood slightly.

I stripped the acrylic and stain by sanding it off as best I could, making sure to get rid of any evidence of orange peel. Once i got a nice even feel across the entireity of the body I started to spray paint. In all I did ten very light coats of silver car paint from a can as my air brush was in repair. about 6-8 coats of nitrocellulose soon followed.

I like this two tone look, and personally prefer it to the all black it was before it was tampered with.....but alas, I must sell it to fund something else.

(on that note, if you're from ireland and travel to Cork city, message me if you'd like to make an offer).

100% Irish and proud

Glory glory Man Utd
Hunter2081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 03:11 AM   #642
xxxxChrisTxxxx

Bought this BC Rich fairly cheaply of Ebay, knowing it needed some work.......

Says Platinum series on the headstock but evidently wasn't, after a bit of Googling it looks like it's from the 80's made under licence by Class Axe.
Further inspection revealed the headstock warped with damage to the top point, the fretboard has come away in the past and been badly glued back on and the nut's broken.

Regluing the fretboard was not something I fancied doing so just sanded down the sides so it at least lined up with the neck, and did the same to the top edge of the headstock to restore a tip to a point.
Took the paint off the body and repaired the damage to the body, rebuilt the lower horns with car body filler...

Also did away with the tone knob to give it a cleaner look.
Then added some paint.....

Photo's don't capture the colour very well, it's Kawasaki Green.
Replaced the original pickups and added diamond fret markers.
Doesn't play too badly considering the state the neck is in but it'll probably end up as wall art.

Last edited by xxxxChrisTxxxx : 12-13-2013 at 02:31 PM.
xxxxChrisTxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 05:46 PM   #643
punkguitarist01
Look Behind You (BOO!)

Started life as a cheap(ish) purple P-Bass and I've sanded it down, re-sprayed it and upgraded/replaced some of the hardware. Plays great! (pictured below with my current rig)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Crybaby,Whammy,Flanger,Stage Tuner,Tremolo,Bass Overdrive
punkguitarist01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 01:24 PM   #644
noah.stoutt

I'm starting to wet sand my old austin's body and put a new finish on the frets, but man i'm nervous. Really don't want to mess this up.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:04 PM   #645
RoKHED
Rock N' Roll Revivalist

US

Check this out! A Les Paul-Strat hybrid!
https://plus.google.com/app/basic/s...3Dmog%26gl%3Dus
sorry, the URL don't woirk.. I will prove this guitar's exsistance somehow!

Last edited by RoKHED : 12-26-2013 at 08:08 PM.
RoKHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:33 PM   #646
Daniellam

My first guitar project, it is a low spec strat copy with plywood construction body. Yes it is a cheap guitar, but it is very comfortable to play...straight neck, low action and light weight. hopefully it is a good idea for upgrading...
What i have done on it:

1. enlarge the neck pickup cavity to fit humbucker
2. change the body color from green to red
3. shield the pickup cavity to reduce noise
4. replace the SSS pickguard with HH type
5. replace the pickups with EMG HZH1.

Although it is not a solid wood body...the passive EMG sounds great than expected.
Rock on!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.JPG (23.2 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg 2.JPG (33.1 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg 3.JPG (24.5 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg 4.JPG (32.0 KB, 94 views)
Daniellam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 06:49 PM   #647
andyguitar85

A few pictures from my recent Les Paul build with the trusty Wilkinson humbucker pickups and locking machine heads I have used on past builds.

andyguitar85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 08:25 AM   #648
Fricksion

So for my fourteenth birthday [what, like, last January] [yes, I'm fourteen right now, Mar. 31, 2014, ready to accept hates] I decided to build my own guitar, just as how my sister built her own bass. Her bass was named Amberhart Dreamstarter so I [sort of] made Amberhart as the guitar name itself. I am [sort of, as well, but this one's too sentimental] planning to sell the next ones we make, provided that school doesn't stop us.

The neck is made from some wood which I never really bothered to remember. Since I was careless with the handsaw, it turned into a Telecaster neck for the Strat-like body [is this blasphemous?] and I based the inlays of the neck from my sister's bass with a few adjustments and extras.

The machine heads were from a cheap guitar store somewhere near our school, and I had to cut it a bit to make it fit my awkward, 2mm too large holes on the head + superglue to keep the rings intact. When I put it together, however, the strings wouldn't stop buzzing so my dad tried a trick he used to do for our violins, adding some aluminum under the strings at the nut to raise them. I felt horrible for the look of aluminum foil sticking out so I brought out chisels and chiseled off a part of the pickguard and some deeper gouging for the neck to make it stick to the body. It worked, but not until some extreme raising to the bridge as well. When I heard of a floating tremolo, I thought it was a bridge without springs at the back. Turns out it wasn't - problem? The bridge I got had springs with it but no claw, so I had to handsaw a claw from some metal I found in the storage room.

Chopped the body with a handsaw [I'm cheap. Hate me] from a cherry [don't hate, it's the nearest one in the yard]. Asked some cousin's friend's friend to rout it, and fortunately he made it an S S H [I was going to rerout and make it SHH by /stealing/ my Ibanez' humbuckers to replace the melted single-coil] but alas, I was too lazy to cut the holes for the humbuckers on the pickguard. I canvassed the local shops if they had the overdrive DiMarzio singlecoils with no luck [hell, I've been through almost every guitar shop in Manila and still can't find any].

Before I finished this [just today] we did some cleaning [few weeks ago] and found some old CPUs and their precious hard-drives, which I took apart and found them quite steampunk. THERE I SAID THE WORD. STEAMPUNK, THAT'S THE THEME. I carved away depressions and holes to expose the inner 'engine' of the guitar, and to add a reactor [it's a $20.99 clip-on tesla plate, sue me] which I haven't figured out how to turn on without removing the soon-to-be-brass plate at the back. There's a seemingly-immortal clock near the upper strap-lock with extra brass piping, chemical tubes [they're fuses, actually] and some screws. Along with those is a hygro/thermometer which I realized is somewhat handy.

Here comes the pickguard and its story: It's a prewired pickguard from a local guitar store [got it for $19.00, + $5.00 for the bridge and whammy bar] and I carved it to look somewhat like a wing-thing, then the claw-like holes with a drill and a really hot 2mm tube file. The horrible thing in the middle? It's a melted pickup. I was experimenting on the pickup covers by pouring melted rosin [for a violin bow, it's smelly when melted but it looks cool when you have a mold for it] but made a mistake by trying to melt it off the middle pickup cover. The middle pickup cover was different from the other two, which made me want an SHH [see top]. I reheated it once again and eventually hammering it into the pickup, making it mold onto it. Once it was almost there I did the stupid: put the pickup and cover over flame. I thought I screwed it up but after the rewiring... [suspense!]

What really makes this sentimental to me is the fact that I worked on it starting March 21, 2014, did some hiatus for the whole April, and I managed to finish it May 31, 40 days of work, almost 85% handmade and I am actually trying to make a custom, 2-guitar case for this custom guitar.

By the way, the melted pickup? It [miraculously] got distorted. I know many of you may call it b.s, but it honestly got distorted. Just the distortion I need for the upcoming music club auditions. Seriously though, I'm not sure if it's the weird solder I made to rewire it, or really the heating of the pickup, but UG guys, please, don't burn your pickups. [Yeah, yeah, I checked the amp and I'm pretty sure the gain is really low, boost off, and purely volume.]

Sorry for the long story, here's what I made: Amberhart Heartwaker.

This is the clock [wristwatch, covered with a pocket watch's cover]

I actually feel like selling it, but I have no idea about the price.
Fricksion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:00 PM   #649
Omnius

Is there a way to know what resistance do my pots have if without using a multimeter?

In terms of resistance, concentric pots are calculated as two seperate ones or as two combined in series/parallel?

BC Rich Mockingbird w/ EMG 81/85
Epiphone LP Custom 81/85
Gibson SG Standard

"Remember kids... if you're not active, you've already lost"
Omnius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 12:49 PM   #650
offspring93
likes DIY

Hi there, I just finished rewiring and restyling my trusty Yamaha Pacifica 112.
I've put in a Seymour Duncan Little '59 years ago because I wanted a neck humbucker tone. Later I did some minor modifications like changing the knobs, changing the saddles for stringsavers. I added a coil tap switch and I also realized that the cheap bridge humbucker had only two hookup wires. Also the pickguard changed its color over the time.
Ever since I've bought a good Ibanez RG, I decided to completely rewire the Pacifica with a superwitch and change the brindge humbucker. It is now a Seymour Duncan SH-14 ("Custom 5") It's a shame that you don't find much about this PU in the internet, because it sounds amazing. The Output is enough to play heavy stuff, but this is definitely not a sledgehammer, it works quite well with the lil'59 in the neck position. The sound is - to my ears - somewhere between a classic PAF and a total-modern humbucker. You can pull off lovely rock sounds while not getting the Metal sawmill. And when adding a lot of gain for some extreme metal stuff (I like that sh#t), you will love the great clarity and punch of this PU. The bass is rich and tight enough for low tunings, it does not get muddy. The mids are scooped a little, the highs bite just well with gain but much more comfortable - especially in an alder strat like this - than the SH-5 "custom" which has quite shrill highs.
The middle single coil is the stock one, it doesn't sound bad.
The switching positions are:
1 - neck full humbucker
2 - neck inner coil + middle in parallel (hum cancelling)
3 - middle
4 - neck inner coil + bridge inner coil in parallel (hum cancelling)
5 - bridge full humbucker
One thing about the neck + bridge combined, to save you from the frustration I first had: The little '59 and fullsize humbucker, both by SD have opposite winding directions. The little '59 is also backwards (black + white: outer coil) So when you connect them for auto-splitting as normal, there is no hum cancelling. Then when just completely reversing one HB to get the other coil when split: the coils are out of phase! I don't know why SD is doing this. To fix this, I had to connect the neck lil'59 as normal but reversed (black: ground, white + red: serial link[grounded in split mode], green: hot) and the bridge HB like this: white: hot, black + green: serial link[grounded in split mode], red: ground.
Now that I do all the coil splitting with the superwitch, I had a switch left and a hole in the pickguard for something else, so I turned it into a direct-out switch to bypass the pots.
The no more white pickguard is now covered in adhesive foil. This worked very well with a hairdryer to heat the foil and make it more flexible, and patience. I am very pleased with the result and this will be much more durable than paint, and is much easier to do.

This is the guitar now: (click on the pictures to enlarge them)

Wiring madness:

Wiring diagram (pots + direct out switch not included):

Last edited by offspring93 : 07-16-2014 at 02:24 PM.
offspring93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: