Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-02-2013, 03:32 PM   #2501
wursty
Just some Windows IT Guy

I'm having an issue with my Schecter and Floyd, I put a heavier set of strings on my guitar. It wouldn't tune right so I installed another spring (originally 3, now 4 springs) and now I can get the guitar tuned and flush but it's in C and I want it in standard. Should I get another spring or should I tighten the screws in the cavity? Thanks!
Ibanez AEL20E
Epiphone G-310 Junior Mod
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe FR
B.C. Rich Bronze Series Warlock

Vinyl Collection
wursty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:46 AM   #2502
arv1971

Am just setting up my Floyd Rose guitar after buying it dirt cheap on eBay and now after getting it in tune I'm not sure about my saddle. I know that it's supposed to be parallel to the body but the saddle appears to be slightly wedge shaped. So do I make it parallel with the bottom of the saddle which is straight or the top of the saddle which is slanted..? I''ll post a pic in a few minutes so that you can see what I mean.

http://i.imgur.com/EK2KVZV.jpg?1

The saddle is shaped like this: l\ rather than like this = (bit difficult to show via ASCII lol) so which part of it should be parallel to the body..? The slanted part of the wedge on the top or the straight part of the wedge on the bottom..?

Last edited by arv1971 : 01-31-2014 at 11:50 AM.
arv1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 03:23 PM   #2503
biga29

The base of the bridge should be parallel, the saddles will be a little off but that's fine.

And parallel is just a guideline. You should really just be checking which way the guitar goes out of tune. If the strings are going slightly flat, than the bridge is tilting forward and the springs need to be tightened. And if they're going sharp, than the springs need to be loosened.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
biga29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 03:56 PM   #2504
arv1971

Okay, cool. Thanks for that. Just one more quick question. I completely removed the locking nut thingummybobs and placed them on my duvet in the order they were in but my bloomin cat walked across them and messed up what order they were in. Are they supposed to be put on in order and if so how can I tell what order they should be in.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:22 PM   #2505
biga29

Look at the bottom of the clamps and see if the strings have pressed their shape into the metal at all. You should be able to tell which ones went with which string this way. Although it doesn't really matter unless the strings are slipping. You can check by plucking an open string and then pressing on the same string, but on the headstock side of the nut. If the pitch goes up, the string is slipping.

♠♣♥♦
Old 02-01-2014, 06:07 PM   #2506
arv1971

Thanks for all the help.

Think I've got a serious problem with the holes drilled into the body for the claw. When I've been tightening or loosening the screws to move the claw the claw has been moving all over the place in all directions, even so that it moves so high that you can see it protruding above the guitar body so that you can't get the cover on.

Then I had a look at the Tremol-no when I got it yesterday and the holes for the Tremol-no are too wide for it.

I'm thinking of filling in the original holes for the original claw and just drilling new holes for the Tremol-no. Would this be the best thing to do..?

Edit: Have realised what the problem was with the claw moving all over the place. The screws were bent.

Not sure if that's messed up the holes, I'd imagine it has. The holes still don't match up with the Tremol-no though in any case. They're a few mm wider. Think I'm going to fill them and re-drill them in the right place.

Last edited by arv1971 : 02-02-2014 at 03:16 PM.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:27 AM   #2507
biga29

Quote:
Originally Posted by arv1971

Edit: Have realised what the problem was with the claw moving all over the place. The screws were bent.

Not sure if that's messed up the holes, I'd imagine it has. The holes still don't match up with the Tremol-no though in any case. They're a few mm wider. Think I'm going to fill them and re-drill them in the right place.

Hey, sorry for the late response.

If you do re-drill, just remember that the claw has a lot of tension on it at all times, so it needs to be a strong repair. I would widen the hole and use a wooden dowel and some wood glue to refill it.

♠♣♥♦
Old 02-04-2014, 11:01 AM   #2508
arv1971

No probs. I'm going to post a picture later on of the position of the holes in the body and the position of the holes in the original claw compared to the holes in the Tremol-no so that you can see what I'm talking about.

I'm thinking of filling them with wood filler...wouldn't that do the job okay..?
Old 02-10-2014, 04:16 PM   #2509
biga29

Quote:
Originally Posted by arv1971
No probs. I'm going to post a picture later on of the position of the holes in the body and the position of the holes in the original claw compared to the holes in the Tremol-no so that you can see what I'm talking about.

I'm thinking of filling them with wood filler...wouldn't that do the job okay..?

What kind of wood filler? It just needs to be strong. There's a lot of tension on those screws.

♠♣♥♦
Old 02-22-2014, 12:36 AM   #2510
fastforded
UG Newbie

Subscribing... Can't wait to see what I can find in this thread.
fastforded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:47 PM   #2511
metalmingee

Quote:
Originally Posted by biga29
The base of the bridge should be parallel, the saddles will be a little off but that's fine.

And parallel is just a guideline. You should really just be checking which way the guitar goes out of tune. If the strings are going slightly flat, than the bridge is tilting forward and the springs need to be tightened. And if they're going sharp, than the springs need to be loosened.

Question on this. I'm a noob to Floyds and am trying to learn all I can. When you say the strings are going flat or sharp do you mean after using the tremolo or just while the guitar is sitting still if that makes sense.

More background on the question - I have a Jackson LFR from around 2002. I just bought the guitar a couple of weeks ago and the LFR was not being "used" - i.e. the locking nuts weren't installed and the base of the bridge was diving into the cavity - so not close to parallel. I adjusted everything and seem to be good to go except that when I engage the tremolo to drop the pitch all of the strings sometimes stay flat. If I then engage (bump) the tremolo to increase the pitch the strings then all go back to in tune. I just put some 3-in-1 oil on the posts and knife edges and it's definitely smoother operation now but still have some of the same pitch issues.

So before jumping to the conclusion that I have a Licensed Floyd and it's 12 year old crap, can this be resolved by adjusting the claw and changing the angle of the base of the bridge? More or different lube? More/different/adjusted springs (I have 3 in a / | \ setup)? Other options? I'm really liking the guitar and if it needs the tremolo replaced so be it (only paid $175 for a Kelly KE3 Made in Japan with case) and already swapped in a JB/Jazz set of pickups but want to rule out setup issues and I'd prefer to adjust the setup myself.

I plan on removing the bridge completely for post and knife-edge inspection at the next string change in a couple of weeks or so.

Thanks for the help!
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)

Amps:
Peavey 5150 212 Combo
Randall RG100SC (original, not the G2 or G3) - For Sale
Peavey Vypyr 30
metalmingee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:32 AM   #2512
slash.r0cks
Professional n00b

Hey guys, really sorry because I'm almost certain this has been asked a million times before, but how can I get full use of my Floyd Rose, diving both up and down, and still be able to play unison bends that stay in tune? My guitar is an LTD MH-100QM in C# standard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whalepudding
If it was "Need to catch my dog pooing under my piano..." it would be thread of the decade.
slash.r0cks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 07:18 PM   #2513
metalmingee

My recommendation would be to add another spring so you have to apply more force before the bridge moves. I'm still learning the ins and outs of Floyds myself though.
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)

Amps:
Peavey 5150 212 Combo
Randall RG100SC (original, not the G2 or G3) - For Sale
Peavey Vypyr 30
metalmingee is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: