Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-11-2012, 07:23 PM   #1
Feudalism

Amplitube 3 help needed

Does anyone have experience with Amplitube 3 and recording? I'm wondering how to set up the program to record, however, I cannot figure out how to change the effects multiple times on one track. For example, I record my cover and if I have a clean intro but then want it to switch to distortion throughout the song, how can I edit the track to do so?

Also, whenever I record a track in Amplitube, if I want to go back to playing my guitar, no sound comes through so I have to re-open the program to hear my guitar again. Any suggestions?
Feudalism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:26 PM   #2
Sid McCall
(Actually, I'm Scott)

Are you using Amplitube as a plugin in a DAW? If not, you can't really do most of those things. You can buy a pedal (they sell them on the IK website) and use that to switch effects around, but if you're in a DAW you can record automation onto your tracks so your effects turn on and off at set times.

No idea what's up with that last issue, I've never experienced anything like it. I'd imagine it will go away if you're in a DAW situation.
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Sid McCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:28 PM   #3
Feudalism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid McCall
Are you using Amplitube as a plugin in a DAW? If not, you can't really do most of those things. You can buy a pedal (they sell them on the IK website) and use that to switch effects around, but if you're in a DAW you can record automation onto your tracks so your effects turn on and off at set times.

No idea what's up with that last issue, I've never experienced anything like it. I'd imagine it will go away if you're in a DAW situation.

Ah I see, I'm really new to this so sorry for how beginner this sounds, but what is a DAW? Is this where you use Amplitube in conjunction with a program like Audacity, Reaper, or Pro Tools? I can try and get one of those if that is what I need to record.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:31 PM   #4
Feudalism

I should also mention I'm using POD Studio GX to connect to the guitar to my PC.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:28 PM   #5
Sid McCall
(Actually, I'm Scott)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feudalism
Ah I see, I'm really new to this so sorry for how beginner this sounds, but what is a DAW? Is this where you use Amplitube in conjunction with a program like Audacity, Reaper, or Pro Tools? I can try and get one of those if that is what I need to record.

Yep, Digital Audio Workstation. I say grab a copy of Reaper and plug Amplitube in (if you need help with that, there are tons of threads - try searching around, you'll find instructions quickly). Then you'll be able to do pretty much everything you're looking for.

If you have any more trouble, and can't get an answer on the forums first, feel free to PM me.
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Sid McCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:38 PM   #6
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
Does anyone have experience with Amplitube 3 and recording? I'm wondering how to set up the program to record

amplitube does have a small multitracker on there but it's pretty limited. most people run in through a DAW like sid was talking about.

Quote:
I cannot figure out how to change the effects multiple times on one track. For example, I record my cover and if I have a clean intro but then want it to switch to distortion throughout the song, how can I edit the track to do so?

there should be external hardware to help you do that, stuff like midi boards and the such. i actually haven't got much into that. i know they have a 'wah pedal' style interface for computer and a stompbox style interface for mobile stuff but both of those won't do what you want exactly.

another way of going about it is just tracking 2 different guitars. one track would be clean and the other track would be dirty. it takes up more tracks but you can really customize your clean and dirty tones.

Quote:
Also, whenever I record a track in Amplitube, if I want to go back to playing my guitar, no sound comes through so I have to re-open the program to hear my guitar again. Any suggestions?

you have to highlight the track and highlight the record button for that same track, else no sound goes through. after you record one track it seems amplitube un-hghlights the record button, so no sound comes out.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:50 PM   #7
Feudalism

Wow, thanks a lot both of you; this is a big help!

Rate This Thread: