Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-05-2013, 10:01 AM   #1
ghandi andy

Value of my guitar?

Firstly, to avoid any suspicion of me trying to sell this in the wrong forum, please don't ask just in case, not sure if this is the right place for what I'm asking anyway :S

I bought an Epiphone flying V a few years ago ('67 model, 2004 reissue in red) and having not played guitar for quite a while, I am considering selling it. The problem is though that using sites like ebay or gumtree to find some form of valuation is that the prices vary so much, also the fact these guitars haven't actually been sold yet means the asking prices may not be reflected in the actual value of the guitar.

I don't have any pictures of the guitar, it is in virtually perfect condition (No visible scratches or anything of that sort). There's a few new ones online for 350 as well if that's useful?

So all I ask for is an approximate amount I should try and sell this guitar for, thanks very much to anyone who helps

EDIT: Gary, thanks I completely forgot about that!
edit: It does matter because I'm a poor student and if I could only get 50 or so for it I would much rather keep it

Thanks alot guys! I think it's definitely not a 58 reissue because they have the korina bridge whereas mine's a standard floating one.

Last edited by ghandi andy : 01-05-2013 at 05:34 PM.
ghandi andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:05 AM   #2
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Search ebay for completed listings of similar guitars to see how much people pay for them.
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:38 AM   #3
Wesbanez
Registered Abuser

Does it really matter? Its an Epiphone. Whatever it's worth (not very much) it's hardly gonna be worth worrying about.

Stick it on eBay on a Sunday night for 7 days, starting at 99p. 7 days later you'll have its worth worked out down the penny!
Wesbanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:01 PM   #4
justaginger

I'd say if you could get it new for about 350, I'd stick it on for about 200. However if you put something like "Accepting offers around 200 mark" it would open it to be a little lower
justaginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:16 PM   #5
T00DEEPBLUE
Hello Victoria

I've actually thought about getting one of those old Epiphone 67 V's as a backup. I can imagine a few people wanting a 67 V that's cheap since you can only get 67 V's that are Gibsons these days. Even if the guitar is only an Epiphone.

Put it up for 225.
T00DEEPBLUE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:18 PM   #6
Mr.-Bungle
Mr. Bungle

Why the **** is your name Ghandi Andy. They don't rhyme.
Mr.-Bungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:49 PM   #7
Dempsey68
UG's John Mayer Fanatic

0-250 depending on quality and other extras (hard case etc)
Dempsey68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:55 PM   #8
KG6_Steven
Serving Knowledge

I realize you're not in the US, but I have a 2012 Vintage Guitar Price Guide and it has your model listed. The price guide is printed in the US and has US prices. The guide lists two prices - both are for guitars in excellent condition. It lists a low and a high price. The price listed is what you'd expect to pay a dealer, or what you could perhaps expect if selling privately.

Your guitar was produced from 1989 to 1998 and from 2003 to 2005. Two specs were available for this model - '67 or '58. You say your model is the '67. It has an alder body. Here is the slightly confusing part... My guide specifies that guitars made from 1989 to 1998 were the '67 spec guitars, while those made from 2003 to 2005 were '58 spec. Are you sure it's not a '58 spec?

At any rate, the price for both models, regardless of the actual year of manufacture is $300 on the low side and $375 on the high.

This is directly from the guide:

Flying V/'67 Flying V
1989 - 1998,2003 - 2005. '67 or '58 specs, alder body, natural.

1989-1998 '67 specs $300 $375
2003-2005 '58 specs $300 $375
KG6_Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:10 PM   #9
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

If you can't find a sold price for your guitar, easiest thing to do is this: take the new price of it, halve it, add 10% if the guitar is in mint or near-mint condition.
The thing with Epiphones is, the older ones were usually made in Korea and newer ones are made in China. Korean ones in top condition are worth a fair bit more than the Chinese ones, but if it's a bit banged-up then it makes no real difference.

So, if the new ones are 350, and yours is from Korea and in good condition, I'd ask for 220, probably settle on 190 or 200 if it's a quick and easy sale. If it's made in Korea and in average condition, or if it's from China in good to average condition, I'd ask for 200 and settle for 175. If it's in bad condition from either, consider yourself lucky if you nab 150 for it.

If you sell it via eBay, put a reserve of 150 on so you know you'll get at least its most base value. Wherever you sell it, make sure to provide clear pictures of the frets, since those are the thing most buyers are going to want to know about and which many sellers lie about.

Rate This Thread: