Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-25-2012, 11:12 AM   #1
rockstar256

Maxium string gauge specific tunning?

Well played lots iwith my abnd in past and with other guitarist we've tried many string for different tunings and different gauges. For example 10-46 is optimal set for E standard, 11-52 is for D standard.

So i decided to go heaviest i can with strings,got 11-48 EB on E and it seemed i can go heavier, went 11-52. Felt like it was last gauge and heaviest one for E, then went for D standard with 11-52, and decided to get EB 12-56 Not even Slinky. tuned to D was heavy, although i think swapping bottom to 58 would be last gauge D standard would handle. Tuned my guitar to C standard with not even slinkies now.

What do you think of maximum string gauge for different tunings?

I do believe theres sort of safe range doing with heavier strings.

Last edited by rockstar256 : 12-25-2012 at 11:16 AM.
rockstar256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 01:38 PM   #2
mattrusso

That's kinda silly, man. It's all about personal preference. I use 12s on a couple of my guitars and they're all always in E standard. Some people like to go heavier than that. Personally, I think anything under 11s for E standard feels like rubber bands. There's no "limit" on heaviness for each tuning or else they wouldn't make guitar strings that thick. Obviously you're not gonna be able to put bass strings on your guitar, but I'm talking within reason. What I'm saying is you may not want to go over 11s for E standard, but I might. It's all about what we like as individuals.

That being said, you obviously have to increase gauge as you're tuning lower.

Also, I hope you're setting up your guitars each time you're changing string gauge. If you're not, and you're changing it this much, your shit's gonna be real ****ed up.

Last edited by mattrusso : 12-25-2012 at 01:40 PM.
mattrusso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 03:02 PM   #3
danvwman

100% its all what feels good to you and what works for ya, its all trial and error on this kind of thing.

I played 10s for almost 20 years, started down tuning more and lower and switched to 11s. Now I use 11s all the time from E -c#, and some times drop the E string down to B and it works fine. I pick and fret heavy and they seem to hold tuning better. It seems to matter more when I use guitars with taller frets, even with 11s and extra jumbo frets I can easily push the string to the fret board.

I should have been using 11s the whole time. And am thinking I should try 12s

And now if I play my kids guitars with 10s or its 9s I feel like I am gonna break them, I can play fine and its really easy but I pick and fret so hard the guitar sounds out of tune if that makes any sense

Last edited by danvwman : 12-25-2012 at 03:03 PM.
danvwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 04:33 PM   #4
rockstar256

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattrusso
That's kinda silly, man. It's all about personal preference. I use 12s on a couple of my guitars and they're all always in E standard. Some people like to go heavier than that. Personally, I think anything under 11s for E standard feels like rubber bands. There's no "limit" on heaviness for each tuning or else they wouldn't make guitar strings that thick. Obviously you're not gonna be able to put bass strings on your guitar, but I'm talking within reason. What I'm saying is you may not want to go over 11s for E standard, but I might. It's all about what we like as individuals.

That being said, you obviously have to increase gauge as you're tuning lower.

Also, I hope you're setting up your guitars each time you're changing string gauge. If you're not, and you're changing it this much, your shit's gonna be real ****ed up.

I totally agree with you especially with part with individual taste , but generally 10-46 are optimal and balanced for e so are 11-48, for d 11-52 or used 12-56 and was fine. However i think theres limited option to every gauge, for example i fail to see 60 gauge sting tuned to D or 56 to E, it feels like it gonna damage guitar in some period of a time.

Last edited by rockstar256 : 12-25-2012 at 04:35 PM.
rockstar256 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: