Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-18-2013, 12:32 PM   #1
andro64

Jackson KVMG or Ibanez RGA27TQMZ or Ibanez RGIR20e

Hi,
I have some cheap guitar and Roland CUBE amp… I'm considering buying a new guitar and I was thinking about some shredding Floyd Rose gear. I'm playing thrash metal and progressive metal and I was going to buy Jackson King V. For me the best price would be KVMG… but I was wondering Should I buy cheaper Ibanez guitar like one of middle-range RGA's with 2 Humbuckers and new, Better amp or think about KVMG and wait for new cash for the amp next?
andro64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:35 PM   #2
KillerLolrus
Mac Hater

I'd definitely invest in a tube amp of some sort first.
KillerLolrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:30 PM   #3
Skylord27

You should probably get a better amp first. Maybe some sort of a high-gain tube amp first. The Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier and Marshall JCM800 2203KK are both really great high-gain tube amps. Randalls tend to run a bit cheaper than Mesas and Marshalls and are still very good. Bogner, Engl, and some of the higher-end Peaveys are worth looking into as well. As for guitars, I am a huge Jackson fan. Jackson makes some of the best metal guitars out there and the KVMG, in my opinion, is a much better metal guitar for the price than some of the mid-range Ibanez's. The Jackson SL2 Soloist is another great Jackson in that price range, but if you're into V's, go with the KVMG over an Ibanez.
Skylord27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:00 PM   #4
Sakke
Miika Tenkula Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylord27
You should probably get a better amp first. Maybe some sort of a high-gain tube amp first. The Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier and Marshall JCM800 2203KK are both really great high-gain tube amps. Randalls tend to run a bit cheaper than Mesas and Marshalls and are still very good. Bogner, Engl, and some of the higher-end Peaveys are worth looking into as well. As for guitars, I am a huge Jackson fan. Jackson makes some of the best metal guitars out there and the KVMG, in my opinion, is a much better metal guitar for the price than some of the mid-range Ibanez's. The Jackson SL2 Soloist is another great Jackson in that price range, but if you're into V's, go with the KVMG over an Ibanez.

Wow, dude, he has described his budget and you slam him with Mesa and Bogner?
And the Jackson SL2 is nowhere near that price range man...
Anywho, I agree with you. TS, you need a better amp. Then when you get a better guitar, you'll feel much more home first than if you go first for new guitar and then an amp.

Orange Terror series is a great bunch of amps and are easy on your wallet too.
Laney Ironheart series is amazing, I've tried them myself and they do so much for so little money, definitely consider trying one out. They're really inexpensive and can do crushing, monstrous high gain and with a step on the switch go to nice clean sounds.
Watt reduction option, dynamics control, pre-boost circuit, push-pull EQ knobs...Totally a killer amplifier
Peavey's Vypyr Tube is not a bad choice at all. Very versatile and tweakable options on that amplifier.

TS, if you go used, you can get lucky and manage to get both good guitar and an amp. At least here in Finland's user market you can easily end up buying a RR3/KE3 with under 400 euros and then an Orange Dual Terror for the same price. Only problem would be getting a cab but those can go for under 200 euros.

My band playing a song
Darkened Sky - End of Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Last edited by Sakke : 04-18-2013 at 02:06 PM.
Sakke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:47 PM   #5
SteveHOC
Used Register

If you want a decent, high gain, tube amp for a minimal budget, I'd look at Jet City's JCA22H. It's two channel, Soldano designed, and has plenty of tone variation. I've got one, though I'm not a metal player, and don't run the gain past three because I'm not a high gain player. There's a combo version as well (not sure if it's two channel) that can be had on the cheap. In other words, like everyone else said, I'd be getting a new amp if I were you. Sell the Cube after and put that money into your next venture.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:01 PM   #6
Tempoe
. . . ∆ . . .

I'd get the guitar first, a good Jap Ibby or Jackson, then later get a good amp
Tempoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:14 PM   #7
Krauser
Ibanez Recommender

Rule of thumb is good amp first, good guitar later. A 100 dollar Squire through a Mesa's going to sound better than a 1000 dollar MiJ Ibby through a Line 6 Spider.

That said, what' your budget... we need to know your budget to help you out the best we can.
Peavey 5150 + TS9 + ISP Decimator + MXR 10-Band EQ

Watch and subscribe to my guitar ventures!
Search Nick Catelli on YouTube
Krauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:30 PM   #8
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

If you want to improve sound, amp should come first (though maybe not if you want a Strat sound and have a Les Paul - no amp is going to give you a Strat sound). If you want to improve the feel of the guitar or need a whammy bar or something, guitar is what you need.

For example if your guitar doesn't stay in tune and feels bad in your hands, you want a new guitar. I bought a new guitar before I bought a new amp (I wanted a whammy bar). My first guitar was Epiphone Les Paul Standard and amp Roland Micro Cube. And I could also hear a difference in sound when I bought my Charvel. Of course you'll sound better through a better amp. Roland Cube isn't a terrible amp so it doesn't really need immediate upgrade. It's about how you feel. If you feel that you need a new guitar before a new amp, buy a new guitar.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:33 PM   #9
andro64

Ok, so first I would think about new amp. I don't want to go over 500$… and I'm searching for some warm (progressive :d) cleans and thrash distortion. Can I find some good tube amp on <500$?
For a guitar - I will get more cash after the amp and buy Jackson KVMG or - and there's some surprice - Sterling JP100d (yeah, I know it's not Floyd but I found guy who's playing really dark and massive riffs on That cheap Music Man)
Old 04-20-2013, 06:59 AM   #10
Tom 1.0
Hot For Teacher

What cheap guitar have you got at the moment?

1977 Burny FLG70
Tom 1.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:48 AM   #11
andro64

Samick Malibu MB2. It looks like Fender strat
Old 04-20-2013, 09:44 AM   #12
Tom 1.0
Hot For Teacher

Ok.

Is likely you will be gigging or playing with other people yet?

1977 Burny FLG70
Old 04-20-2013, 09:58 AM   #13
andro64

Yeah, sure. That's Why I want to buy new gear… because Samick with 20W Roland CUBE isn't the best gigging set
Old 04-20-2013, 10:58 AM   #14
Tom 1.0
Hot For Teacher

No but that Samick into a 6505 would also be pretty shitty.

Can you get more cash? Are you willing to go 2nd hand?

1977 Burny FLG70
Old 04-20-2013, 11:19 AM   #15
andro64

I would go with 2nd hand with amp… if I can. With guitar… probably not.
I can't get more cash now. It's <500$ amp thing and after half year probably guitar… or first guitar and then new amp
Old 04-20-2013, 11:50 AM   #16
Tom 1.0
Hot For Teacher

Go for the guitar now.

the cube isnt that bad a little amp and its the guitar more than anything that you should upgrade first in this instance.

1977 Burny FLG70
Old 04-20-2013, 02:41 PM   #17
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 1.0
Go for the guitar now.

the cube isnt that bad a little amp and its the guitar more than anything that you should upgrade first in this instance.

But if he's going to gig, it's better to buy an amp first. The Cube isn't really loud enough for gigging. And even the cheapest guitar through a good amp will sound better than the best guitar through a bad amp. Cube isn't bad but it's not great either. I'm pretty sure that the guitar TS has will sound better through a 6505 than if he bought a new guitar and played it through his Cube.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:02 PM   #18
andro64

Now I have amp question… is better buying Laney IRT15H and one 12" or waiting and buying That new combo, IRT30-112
Old 04-21-2013, 01:46 PM   #19
archenemyfan
UG Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggaraMarine
But if he's going to gig, it's better to buy an amp first. The Cube isn't really loud enough for gigging. And even the cheapest guitar through a good amp will sound better than the best guitar through a bad amp. Cube isn't bad but it's not great either. I'm pretty sure that the guitar TS has will sound better through a 6505 than if he bought a new guitar and played it through his Cube.

How do you know? have you tried it out? Pickups and body wood can have a big impact on tone when you're playing through a nice tube amp. His sammick is probably going to sound like ass plugged into a 6505.

My advice is, sell your current gear, bump up your budget and find a nice used amp and a guitar for cheap.
archenemyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:16 PM   #20
andro64

I have just one question - should I buy STERLING JP100d or IBANEZ S420?

Rate This Thread: