Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-06-2013, 04:20 PM   #1
Rangonsp

Suggest me pick ups

I use Ibanez RG 370DX with inf3 and inf4 pickups and i want to change my pick ups ...

I need a versatile pick up as i am more into progressive metal where i need both heavy chunky riffs and also nice smooth clean tone.. i have to play a very wide range of things..So

1. What bridge pickup and neck pick up do u suggest ?

There is a single coil in the middle..

2. What will happen if i don't change the mid pick up? How much difference is there in CHANGING and NOT CHANGING the mid pick up ..?

3. If i change the middle pick up.. what do u suggest for it ?
Rangonsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:29 PM   #2
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

What amp are you running right now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven seagull
Zaphod wins...flawless victory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freepower
Another flawless victory for Zaph!

Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:40 PM   #3
Rangonsp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod_Beeblebr
What amp are you running right now?

I use Multi fx unit POD X3 live through studio monitors in home coz i don have my own amp but while recording im going to use Mesa boogie DUAL Rectifier..

Last edited by Rangonsp : 01-06-2013 at 04:41 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:55 PM   #4
krehzeekid
Me like guitars

I also use some RG's with a Dual Rec (your "amp" really covers up any pickup- don't use the POD as your reference), and I agree that the INF's aren't great. One of my RG's runs the Dimarzio Petrucci set (liquifire and crunchlab) and the other runs an Air Norton S and a D'activator in the bridge.

The petrucci set is excellent all around- it handles metal really well, but it also has very good sounds for most other styles. It is, however, a little bit of a funny set in that the bridge pickup has very little bass while the neck is very warm sounding. It works well if you like really tight sounding rhythm work, but it isn't great for heavy chugging. The liquifire is probably my favorite neck pickup.

The Air Norton/D'activator (air norton in mine is an S, but the humbucker doesn't sound very different) is a surprisingly good pair. the D'activator is super tight, but has a fuller bottom end than the Crunchlab- it's also quite hot. The air norton is warm and fluid, but it produces awesome clean tones.

as for your middle pickup, it really depends on how much you use it. If you never use it- leave it alone. I rarely use mine, so I've just left it and it doesn't really get in the way. It still sounds good when I use positions 2 and 4, but the single-coil alone is a little too weak. If you use it a lot, you could either consider a better single-coil or a stacked humbucker.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:26 PM   #5
Rangonsp

Quote:
Originally Posted by krehzeekid
I also use some RG's with a Dual Rec (your "amp" really covers up any pickup- don't use the POD as your reference), and I agree that the INF's aren't great. One of my RG's runs the Dimarzio Petrucci set (liquifire and crunchlab) and the other runs an Air Norton S and a D'activator in the bridge.

The petrucci set is excellent all around- it handles metal really well, but it also has very good sounds for most other styles. It is, however, a little bit of a funny set in that the bridge pickup has very little bass while the neck is very warm sounding. It works well if you like really tight sounding rhythm work, but it isn't great for heavy chugging. The liquifire is probably my favorite neck pickup.

The Air Norton/D'activator (air norton in mine is an S, but the humbucker doesn't sound very different) is a surprisingly good pair. the D'activator is super tight, but has a fuller bottom end than the Crunchlab- it's also quite hot. The air norton is warm and fluid, but it produces awesome clean tones.

as for your middle pickup, it really depends on how much you use it. If you never use it- leave it alone. I rarely use mine, so I've just left it and it doesn't really get in the way. It still sounds good when I use positions 2 and 4, but the single-coil alone is a little too weak. If you use it a lot, you could either consider a better single-coil or a stacked humbucker.

Wow! i like your set up .. Well that helped me a lot. Now i use position 2 a lot and sometimes position 4 also for clean tones and i never use the exact middle position...Now can u tell me about how does it sound when u use position 2 & 4. i mean do u face any prob r its totally ok with u. In my band often comes some part where i have to use very clean sound very acoustic like, as i don have musicman that piezo pickup so i cant get that kind of clean output but how much closer can i get to that ?

I have already decided. I m going for D activator(bridge), Liquifire(neck)... And wat u tell about the mid one, would it be okay if i keep it .. ? or i'll look for some ?
Old 01-07-2013, 03:35 PM   #6
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

there won't be any problems if you don't change it but if you use it (including the in-between settings) it'll probably sound better if you change it, kind of thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.

Dave_Mc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:43 PM   #7
JustRooster
Organ Donor

EMG SC1 SRO for the middle. It's a good mix of vintage and modern tones without being too snarly. It'll give you the ability to switch to some more Fender sounds if you wanted to, seeing as how you're going more for versatility, but still afford you the space that singles need for that Prog sound. It'll pair really well if you blend it for a clean sound, I'd imagine.

I normally don't go hunting for mids for people, haha. I'm better at finding neck and bridges for singles. I played this as part of a set in a Carvin HSH a while back, and found myself using the Mid position the most. So I dig this pup.

Roostyalcatraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Spudly
Heck I killed a grizzly with a telecaster. Tex-Mex pickups too. Imagine what I could have done with twang kings or something like that.

Last edited by JustRooster : 01-07-2013 at 04:45 PM.
JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:28 PM   #8
krehzeekid
Me like guitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangonsp
Wow! i like your set up .. Well that helped me a lot. Now i use position 2 a lot and sometimes position 4 also for clean tones and i never use the exact middle position...Now can u tell me about how does it sound when u use position 2 & 4. i mean do u face any prob r its totally ok with u. In my band often comes some part where i have to use very clean sound very acoustic like, as i don have musicman that piezo pickup so i cant get that kind of clean output but how much closer can i get to that ?

I have already decided. I m going for D activator(bridge), Liquifire(neck)... And wat u tell about the mid one, would it be okay if i keep it .. ? or i'll look for some ?

the 2 and 4 are fine. I find them a little too honky, but they're more than okay. Definitely for the more acoustic stuff the 4 is a pretty decent way to go. the 2 might be a little too bright unless you have another guitarist in the band though.

Rate This Thread: