Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-14-2012, 03:50 PM   #1
black-mamba

How is thin wood heavier than dense?

Yeah, a little confusing title for sure, but I'm polishing a turd which is an SX Ash strat-body.

Its down to a piece of wood now and I had the neck of my Schecter Omen 6 removed for a minute so I compared the two and the Schecter-body is according to the authority Google made of chinese basswood, while the SX-body as you read above somekind of eastern Ash.

Now Im pretty stupid, not only cus of my lack of grammar but I was gonna ask yous why the Schecter basswood-body weighed so much more than the ash-body, since ash is 1560 lbs/ m3 while basswood is 1230 lbs / m3.

Does the paint-job and pickups weigh that much? I realize Im an idiot for not weighing them, and sure the Schecter body is slightly thicker than the SX but Im starting to loose motivation a little bit here with that body.

The goal with the SX body is to "Fenderize" it, adjust the neck-pocket to western standards, as with the tremolo-spacings, scratchguard-holes and so on, but since the grain is completely mismatching on it, what would you paint it as?

I was first thinking of an all white Woodstock-strat, buy a maple neck, if I want to later; buy a proper body but now I feel like Ive spent so much effort stripping the paint that it would be a little aggravating just coloring it up again, although, if Im planning on selling the body later, probably to a guitar-shop, maybe I should color it some neutral color to hide all the customizations made to the wood.

What is a neutral color?

Or maybe they would prefer it unpainted? Maybe I should ask them? Or maybe I should get a higher IQ? All questions, asking to be answered...

Last edited by black-mamba : 10-14-2012 at 03:53 PM.
black-mamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:41 PM   #2
Culler Amps
Matt Culler

I actually ran into a similar situation. Several years ago I bought a Douglas Spad Pro from rondo. Same size and shape as my Schecter C1 XXX, and both were mahogany bodies.

However the Douglas mahogany body was much much lighter than the Schecter. Even lighter than my alder strat.

No 2 pieces of wood are the same, and there are also different species of wood called mahogany. Its no surprise there will be differences in weight. But the fact my Spad was lighter than the strat was a bit strange in my opinion.

I think it comes down to the fact that these are probably bottom of the bin woods used. Probably the lowest grade they can get there hands on.
Culler Amps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:53 PM   #3
Explorerbuilder

Woods vary by a ton man, even in the same species. I have used some african mahogany that made an explorer that weighed 12lbs without any parts, and some african mahogany that made an explorer that only weighed 6lbs. It just depends on where it grew and other things.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Gu...142725369133117
Explorerbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:56 PM   #4
black-mamba

Yeah, youre both probably right, Im prolly polishing a turd.

After Ive westernized it, would you sell it to a guitar shop painted to conceal the modifications or unpainted so they can sell it as that? I would always prefer to buy an unpainted body if I was body-shopping.
black-mamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:04 PM   #5
Culler Amps
Matt Culler

Quote:
Originally Posted by black-mamba
Yeah, youre both probably right, Im prolly polishing a turd.

After Ive westernized it, would you sell it to a guitar shop painted to conceal the modifications or unpainted so they can sell it as that? I would always prefer to buy an unpainted body if I was body-shopping.

We never said it was a turd... But it is a very low end instrument. Still doesn't mean it isn't a good player though. That all depends on the particular instrument.

I don't really see any shop giving you much for a modded SX. Maybe 50 bucks, and thats a big maybe. You'd probably get more out of it stock on ebay....

Last edited by Culler Amps : 10-14-2012 at 05:06 PM.
Culler Amps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:12 PM   #6
Seanthesheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorerbuilder
Woods vary by a ton man, even in the same species. I have used some african mahogany that made an explorer that weighed 12lbs without any parts, and some african mahogany that made an explorer that only weighed 6lbs. It just depends on where it grew and other things.

I have a fender tele that weighs almost 11lbs stock

check it out here: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1491448

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexpalka23
but there's something about chocolate syrup cover feet that just makes me happy...
Seanthesheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:49 AM   #7
metal-matt
see's whut u did thar

i'm building a guitar with a 10mm granite/stone top...
hopefully wont be TOOO heavy, but should be good for some rock and stoner metal

You deserved this, Matt.
metal-matt is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: